Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tank of the Month - June 2012 (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2177621)

IridescentLily 06/04/2012 05:16 PM

Tank of the Month - June 2012

This month we are featuring the beautiful Reef Aquarium of Nano (Letter2No)

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/images...e12/FTS_sm.jpg

More details can be found here.

Congratulations Nano!

Also check out the Reefkeeping Blog!

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 431px" border=2 cellSpacing=2 borderColor=#006699 cellPadding=1 align=center>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD bgColor=#006699 width="73%"><CENTER>If you'd like to nominate a tank for Tank of the Month, click here or use the button to the right.</CENTER></TD>
<TD bgColor=#ffffff width="27%">http://reefkeeping.com/images/nominate1.gif</TD>

</TR>

</TBODY>

</TABLE>

Dustin1300 06/05/2012 10:26 AM

Beautiful tank and just goes to show that simplicity can still produce a beautiful reef. Link at end of ReefKeeping article did not go here and was broken but I still know where it is:)

Woodchuck12 06/05/2012 10:32 AM

Beautiful tank!

moshi1ry 06/05/2012 10:37 AM

Wow really freaking cool tank. think you have inspired me to do no water changes haha! I am wondering though do you feel at all limited on your coral selection since you dont do water changes? Really awesome tank though and congrats.

DM1975 06/05/2012 10:49 AM

Beautiful tank. Congrats, it looks absolutely amazing.

IridescentLily 06/05/2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin1300 (Post 20329747)
Beautiful tank and just goes to show that simplicity can still produce a beautiful reef. Link at end of ReefKeeping article did not go here and was broken but I still know where it is:)

Whoops....i'll go fix that, thx for letting me know.

jcw 06/05/2012 11:32 AM

No carbon, no gfo, no dosing pumps, no water changes...

Softies, lps, sps in the same system...

Ceramic rings and bioballs...

Beautiful tank.

I give up trying to understand this hobby.

bellis31 06/05/2012 11:40 AM

Really nice work, very cool to see people successful while going against the grain a bit!!

tatorswife 06/05/2012 12:11 PM

Love it :) its beautiful

EricSIny 06/05/2012 12:14 PM

wow great work!

makes me not want to do another water change again!

den75 06/05/2012 12:15 PM

Great Tank. Maybe I'm overthinking my planned 125g set up

skidrow52 06/05/2012 01:19 PM

Congrautlations to Nano, but we really are looking forward to know how if he is really not using GFO, GAC and no water changes at all, such a clean tank!!

skidrow52 06/05/2012 01:19 PM

Oh he is using Rowaphos, no GAC?

TheAquatect 06/05/2012 01:23 PM

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

moshi1ry 06/05/2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcw (Post 20329969)
No carbon, no gfo, no dosing pumps, no water changes...

Beautiful tank.

I know right! For some reason i think if i attempted no water changes my system would have a massive crash after a certain period of time. He seems to have mastered the no maintence aspect. I think most of his success if probably from his large fuge. Gives him the ability to export nutrients without water changes.

DownwardDawg 06/05/2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by den75 (Post 20330118)
Great Tank. Maybe I'm overthinking my planned 125g set up

Me too. I've been beating myself up with the planning.

felker14 06/05/2012 02:24 PM

Very nice looking tank.

tomiooo 06/05/2012 02:26 PM

great tank!

BrownPoseidon 06/05/2012 03:04 PM

Can someone pleeeease explain to me how one could have a successful tank, running for at least 1 or 2 years, and not do 1 water change. I understand that you can add depleted elements but what about filthy water? Would the water parameters be stable?? HOw is this possible? What do you have to do to maintain tank?

moshi1ry 06/05/2012 06:24 PM

I also wish someone could explain the phenomenon of this tank. Running almost 4 years and no WC? I understand that you can add back the minerals but what about all the trace one iron strontium etc? This tank just amazes me.

psteeleb 06/05/2012 06:32 PM

beautiful tank - well deserved

IridescentLily 06/05/2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownPoseidon (Post 20330786)
Can someone pleeeease explain to me how one could have a successful tank, running for at least 1 or 2 years, and not do 1 water change. I understand that you can add depleted elements but what about filthy water? Would the water parameters be stable?? HOw is this possible? What do you have to do to maintain tank?

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshi1ry (Post 20331396)
I also wish someone could explain the phenomenon of this tank. Running almost 4 years and no WC? I understand that you can add back the minerals but what about all the trace one iron strontium etc? This tank just amazes me.

Here's a link to other 'no water changes' thread where many folks utilize this method with success. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...+water+changes
Keep in mind, It's not for everyone.

S2minute 06/05/2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshi1ry (Post 20331396)

This has got to be a first. I too, would VERY much like to know how this is possible. Something major in that setup must be exporting the nutrients other that the skimmer. It has to be the combination of skimmer and dsb/fuge?? He did say he was running a bio-ball reactor too right.

letter2no 06/05/2012 07:08 PM

April and RK team... thank you for choose my tank to be TOTM this month. Really surprise me...:)

Quote:

Dustin1300 Beautiful tank and just goes to show that simplicity can still produce a beautiful reef. Link at end of ReefKeeping article did not go here and was broken but I still know where it is
thank you Dustin.

Quote:

Woodchuck12 : Beautiful tank!
Quote:

DM1975 : Beautiful tank. Congrats, it looks absolutely amazing.
Quote:

bellis31 : Really nice work, very cool to see people successful while going against the grain a bit!!
Quote:

tatorswife : Love it its beautiful
@Woodchuck12.. @DM1975.. @bellis31 and @tatorswife....
thank you for the compliment

Quote:

jcw : No carbon, no gfo, no dosing pumps, no water changes...

Beautiful tank.

@jcw yups... just simple filtration :)

Quote:

EricSIny : wow great work!

makes me not want to do another water change again!
@EricSIny.... thank you.. :)

Quote:

den75 : Great Tank. Maybe I'm overthinking my planned 125g set up
@den75.. thank you.. can wait your tank picture...

Quote:

skidrow52 : Congrautlations to Nano, but we really are looking forward to know how if he is really not using GFO, GAC and no water changes at all, such a clean tank!!
Quote:

skidrow52 : Oh he is using Rowaphos, no GAC?
@skidrow52...thank you for your compliment... i don't use phosphate remover since the fist set up. may be bare bottom more effective when you decide run with no water changed and run DSB plus makroalgae.... this is my own opinion.

Quote:

TheAquatect : Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.
@TheAquatect... thank you

*sorry for my English not good :):)

letter2no 06/05/2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshi1ry (Post 20330395)
I know right! For some reason i think if i attempted no water changes my system would have a massive crash after a certain period of time. He seems to have mastered the no maintence aspect. I think most of his success if probably from his large fuge. Gives him the ability to export nutrients without water changes.

@moshi1ry agree with your opinion... run with large mature DSB and refugium with macro algae (chaetomorpha more effective) and using "good" freshwater for replacing the evaporation. freshwater in my place come from mountain spring water...

Quote:

DownwardDawg : Me too. I've been beating myself up with the planning.
@DownwardDawg....wait your progress and pict...:)

Quote:

felker14 : Very nice looking tank.
Quote:

tomiooo : great tank!
@felker14 and @tomiooo.... thank you...