Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Can you over Skim a tank? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2273238)

shortfuse9113 03/14/2013 06:32 PM

Can you over Skim a tank?

Hello,

I am setting up a 60 gallon cube after not having been really deep in the hobby the last few years. I am running a 30 gallon sump underneath and I am looking to get a new protein skimmer. I am planning on upgrading to a much larger tank and would like to "Buy Once Cry Once" and get a skimmer that will continue on to the next tank... I currently own a Bullet 2 Precision Marine Skimmer but dont want to use it because of the Huge footprint and I would need to buy a new pump... I was wondering if a AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM200 would "Over Skim" and cause any issues? The reviews seem really good on it and I like the small footprint and overall build quality.

Thanks,
Mike G

shortfuse9113 03/14/2013 06:35 PM

If "over skimming" is an issue I am looking at the Reef Octopus 4 instead... but I would really like the AquaMaxx if its ok...

Thanks Again
Mike G

shortfuse9113 03/14/2013 06:55 PM

Or should I just use the Bullet 2 and grab a Mag 18 for it? Any advice will be helpful thanks.

hogfanreefer 03/14/2013 07:23 PM

Good luck finding the Aquamax. I can't find one in stock anywhere.

Raimond42 03/14/2013 07:29 PM

If you remove a cup full of green water everyday then yes. If you are removing dark skimmate then it does not matter how large the cup is. Tracking?

Windirmere 03/14/2013 10:01 PM

the cup of green water is over skimming?

worm5406 03/14/2013 10:05 PM

Well it is WET skim... maybe try to thicken it up some by dialing it back a 1/4 turn. Depending on what type you have that is.

PAnanoguy 03/15/2013 06:46 AM

Hey Shortfuse, I have a Reef Octopus 4 (NWB110) used for sale. Was too small for my tank. $120 plus shipping.

nynick 03/15/2013 07:52 AM

You can't over skim but you can get a skimmer that is too large to function properly with your bioload, which would be under skimming. :)

danil 03/15/2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nynick (Post 21281972)
You can't over skim but you can get a skimmer that is too large to function properly with your bioload, which would be under skimming. :)

".. too large to function properly.." that does mean over skimming. Yes you can and will over skim your tank if much bigger skimmer is used. Manufactures rate their skimmers based on average bio load but we love to feed our fish a lot and put many of them in our tanks so getting a slightly bigger skimmer is OK. With lower bio load, DSB, fudge, socks over skimming can became an issue even with the skimmer rated for your tank size. Some skimmers skim better then others but size does matter.

hkgar 03/15/2013 10:53 AM

Just curious, since some are saying you can over skim, what is the detrimental effect on a tank if it is over skimmed?

Don't we want to remove all dissolved organics from the tank? I have always thought, wrongly I guess, that when there is nothing to skim, the skimmer just stops producing?

worm5406 03/15/2013 11:15 AM

But just like people... Living off of 100% oxygen causes problems.

A slightly dirty tank can handle fluctuation better compared to a clean room.

Sk8r 03/15/2013 11:26 AM

Let's talk beyond water removal---if you are growing lps or softie corals, too good a skimmer is going to take nutrients from them: remember that they are living filters, and if underfed, they will not do as well. Likewise fish like mandarins rely on copepods, which in turn rely on algaes. Your snails and crabs and other inverts make their living from waste. So yes, if you are doing sps corals, that require crystal-clear water, strong skimming is a good idea. If not, survey your inhabitants and figure what you will lose if you do that. Same goes for hyper-removal of phosphate through a gfo. A lot is bad for corals; too little is bad, too.

coralsnaked 03/15/2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r (Post 21282757)
Let's talk beyond water removal---if you are growing lps or softie corals, too good a skimmer is going to take nutrients from them: remember that they are living filters, and if underfed, they will not do as well. Likewise fish like mandarins rely on copepods, which in turn rely on algaes. Your snails and crabs and other inverts make their living from waste. So yes, if you are doing sps corals, that require crystal-clear water, strong skimming is a good idea. If not, survey your inhabitants and figure what you will lose if you do that. Same goes for hyper-removal of phosphate through a gfo. A lot is bad for corals; too little is bad, too.

+1 Well said and nothing else to add

Merry Skerry

hkgar 03/15/2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r (Post 21282757)

It seems that this would mean that if you want to have an SPS tank, heavy skimming is good. But if you had the living filters you mentioned they would be deprived of food source and therefore not do well. Therefore you should not have them in an SPS tank as that would at the least be cruelity.

Not trying to be sarcastic, just logical

nynick 03/15/2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danil (Post 21282600)
".. too large to function properly.." that does mean over skimming.

Nope, you can have a skimmer that is large enough to not be able to maintain foam well. To make a very extreme example, if you take a skimmer rated for 500 gallons and put it on a normal 20gallon tank you will probably not get any skimmate at all since there will likely not be enough dirt to travel up to the cup. Dimensions of a skimmer are based on expected bioloads, if this wasn't the case they would all look the same with different pumps.

Less extreme example, my Deltec HoB that is a beast on my 90g and rated from 120 to 185 produces no skimmate at all on a 20g. More accurately, it made a ton of skimmmate but the bubbles would just not make it into the cup before breaking.

Too big can very well mean under skimming or not skimming at all.

Sk8r 03/15/2013 01:05 PM

That's why we say if you want to do well with sps corals, concentrate on those. If you want to do well with lps, do them. Softies have their own constraints and often conduct chemical warfare, necessitating carbon run nearly constantly.

hkgar 03/15/2013 01:33 PM

I assume that snails and crabs that feed on detrius could do OK in an SPS tank if there is some food waste?

markandamber11 03/15/2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nynick (Post 21281972)

i concure as well i think we are tim the toolman when it comes to skimmers we always think bigger is better

shortfuse9113 03/15/2013 02:19 PM

I want to do mostly SPS but I want zoos and mushrooms as well since I enjoy the way they look... also some stuff life pulsating xenia and star polyps... Would any of that cause issues with "over skimming" if so what skimmer would be best for me? Any recommendations of Octopus vs Aquamaxx skimmers? I also have a Coralife Super Skimmer for a 65 gallon tank... but that thing seems to suck.

hkgar 03/15/2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortfuse9113 (Post 21283437)
I want to do mostly SPS but I want zoos and mushrooms as well since I enjoy the way they look... also some stuff life pulsating xenia and star polyps... Would any of that cause issues with "over skimming" if so what skimmer would be best for me? Any recommendations of Octopus vs Aquamaxx skimmers? I also have a Coralife Super Skimmer for a 65 gallon tank... but that thing seems to suck.

Zoo's and star polyp might be ok with SPS, but Zenia and mushrooms can take over a tank and raise holy H chemically with your SPS

danil 03/18/2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortfuse9113 (Post 21283437)

What is a good skimmer? Some parameters to be aware of: 1. Noise . 2. Hum. 3. Did I say noise already? :) Another one - overflowing. If you thought to get external (hand on) type think again. Even good one (read expensive) can overflow in no time when you add this "awesome super liquid" in your tank water. Size. It does matter a lot if you have small sump or no sump at all. Footprint and height check them both! It should be some space between skimmer cup and your tank for you to take cup off.
So I wouldn't wary about over-skimming there are so many other more important things to wary about :). Yes it is possible but you can always shut the noisy thing down for good!