Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   What fish do you own that let you pet/touch them?? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349285)

flyyyguy 03/19/2008 01:02 AM

What fish do you own that let you pet/touch them??

Just curious. I noticed the other day that my leopard wrasse I have had for a couple of months will let me touch him whenever I want. It kinda blew my mind.

What fish in your tank let you touch them??

My niger triggeralso lets me touch him, but its the inside fo his mouth when hes hungry.........but its not all that friendly so that doesnt count........

xanthurum 03/19/2008 03:24 AM

Both my Vlamingi and my Black Tang allow me to touch them. Usually only when I feed them but while I have food in my hand I they don't seem to care how much I touch them.

keithntracy 03/19/2008 03:31 AM

we have a foxface, cintron clown goby,and thompsons that let me pet them.

chrisstie 03/19/2008 04:15 AM

Funny running into you in this thread :) I wouldn't be brave enough to pet a foxface ;p I have a green clown that will sit in my hand and my latz will for lack of a better term kiss my finger and doesnt mind if i pet her. She just wants food but its still pretty cool :)

One of our LFS has a red sea sailfin that will tip over and ask to be pet almost she's really cool!

SDguy 03/19/2008 06:20 AM

My powder blue is getting to this point while I feed....

Jeffrey Porter 03/19/2008 07:35 AM

this guy likes a lot of heavy petting. this me with Darth Vador, our black grouper. we also have a 2 foot female that likes a lot of attention. and at feeding time i can pet the nurse sharks too.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...r/P9230551.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...r/P9230544.jpg

InLimbo87 03/19/2008 09:01 AM

Those pics are great Jeffrey! Is that you doing the petting??

luke33 03/19/2008 09:08 AM

I use to have a dog face puffer that would let me pet him whenever i wanted. I did until he bit a piece off my forearm.....that was the last time i pet him. They have a very nasty bite.

Willy18T 03/19/2008 09:38 AM

I pet my stone fish and Blue ring all the time

InLimbo87 03/19/2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12127706#post12127706 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
I use to have a dog face puffer that would let me pet him whenever i wanted. I did until he bit a piece off my forearm.....that was the last time i pet him. They have a very nasty bite.
Ouch@@!!!

mattsilvester 03/19/2008 10:40 AM

Most of my fish hand feed..... in particular my emporer angel / powder blue / naso tang...... the others make a dash for whatever is in my fingers..... but the 3 forementioned will nibble away without fear.

If I put my arm in the tank, the emporer will grunt at it and try to fend me off.... the powder blue ducks for over, while the lipstick tang is quite interested..... I;m expecting him to start grazing any day soon.

They really show little or no fear in general, and I think if I tried they would let me "stroke" them...... thoguh to be honest, I don;t feel inclined or see the point.......

Even if I mess around with the rock work, they just go about their business around my arm..... as though I'm just another (non predatory) fish......

Its pretty cool when you think these are wild animals!

Bmgrocks 03/19/2008 11:01 AM

I worked with a Dogface puffer, that would look forward to being petted, he would spit water out the tank, to get your attention, pull up to the side of the tank and let you rub him.

It all starts with hand feeding, where fish associate you with food, and don't consider you a threat. Do any of you think that certain fish have a level of intelligence??? (it seems the larger fish are more prone to being interacted with?)

Jeffrey Porter 03/19/2008 11:06 AM

yeah, it's me pettin him. my mom took the pics. she didn't think i could see her in there.

twon8 03/19/2008 02:40 PM

ive got a whiteface tang, naso, and a new guinea wrasse that let me pet them

brandon7491 03/19/2008 06:36 PM

my blue ring octopus lets me touch him

snommisbor 03/19/2008 07:25 PM

My clown pair come up when I feed and eat out of my hand and my fire shrimp jumps on my finger and cleans it.

DarthSimon 03/19/2008 07:51 PM

I had a Huma Huma Trigger that kinda let me pet him....

ACBlinky 03/19/2008 10:56 PM

I have fish that bite me, does that count? My ocellaris female and both maroons bite mercilessly whenever I try to do any work inside the tank, and my Lamarck's angel took a bite out of me today at feeding time -- seems I wasn't dropping the food soon enough, so she stuck her head out of the water and bit my hand. It worked, I dropped the food, and now she's learned a lovely new behaviour :rolleyes: She's nearing 5" and only getting bigger, so from now on I think I'll keep my fingers further from the surface!

chrisstie 03/20/2008 06:00 AM

Speaking of fish bites, ever been bitten by a Harlequin Tusk? I had one jump up out of its tank to nibble on my thumb above the water when I wasn't paying attention, OW!

pancho 03/20/2008 07:11 AM

My Exquisite Fairy Wrasse lets me pet him whenever I want.

Dante_JoseCuerv 03/20/2008 08:50 AM

My clowns play a game of tag with my hands... but they kinda nip at my fingers to see if I have any food. If I don't then they kinda just leave me alone. That's about it though... my mandarin has occasionally chilled in my hand for a brief moment, but even that was just in search of food.

reefman13 03/20/2008 09:04 AM

My powder brown, and female clowns swim around my arm like crazy any time its in the tank, and they will swim into my hand. And when I go to do a re-aqua scape and pull my fish out of the tank, they have no problems with the net.

ChemLife 03/20/2008 09:34 AM

I had a Six-lined Soapfish (Grammistes sexlineatus) many years ago that was tame enough to let me pet and hold it in the water. It has a velvety soft feel. It allowed anyone to pet and touch it - many people thought it had a preference for the attention of females!
It never released any toxins during all this attention, so it must have been enjoying it.

ChemLife

GBE378 03/20/2008 10:42 AM

The moment my hand goes into my tank my green chromis are all over it. They rub against my hand and bite me if i dont give them attention.

Amoore311 03/20/2008 12:42 PM

The only fish I ever owned that liked to interact with me was a Fresh Water Oscar.

He'd swim around my arm and rub up against it when I was cleaning his tank.