Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Copperband and Anemonies (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433755)

HABS#1 07/18/2008 06:44 PM

Copperband and Anemonies

So I added a copperband and a Coral Beauty to the tank today how carefull should I be with it and my BTA in the same tank? I love the copperband (probably my favourite fish) but if it eats the wifes BTA it will become supper.

FishyMel 07/18/2008 08:48 PM

Semi-concerned. It is hit or miss with these guys. They are not technically "reef-safe" but many times are compatible. I've had one that went after my open brain and resulted in removal. But it's replacement is just fine with all my corals. They are known to go after nuisance anemones so he might like your bta. There is a chance it can work though, just watch him closely for a couple days and keep him well fed. There is probably a 50% chance it will work.

HABS#1 07/18/2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12977196#post12977196 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishyMel
Semi-concerned. It is hit or miss with these guys. They are not technically "reef-safe" but many times are compatible. I've had one that went after my open brain and resulted in removal. But it's replacement is just fine with all my corals. They are known to go after nuisance anemones so he might like your bta. There is a chance it can work though, just watch him closely for a couple days and keep him well fed. There is probably a 50% chance it will work.
Thanks mel I hope he/she behaves I would hate to have to fillet the little sucker LOL.

FishyMel 07/18/2008 11:06 PM

It wouldn't even make a good one if that. So flat and so little meat
:D

HABS#1 07/18/2008 11:13 PM

True enough I guess I could put it in the blender and add it to my home made fish food LOL.

JamesJR 07/19/2008 09:48 AM

I had one in my old reef years ago. This fish is really meant for picking out of crevices so they are more likely to eat worms and things like that. It is hit or miss for them to nip at the small aiptasia anemones. I would bet they are less likely to nip on bigger anemones.
Overall, they are pretty hard fish to keep.

Also, I would avoid eating these reef fish. Many reef fish are known to harbor toxic secondary metabolites from the sponges and other inverts they are eating. I wouldn't do it.

HABS#1 07/21/2008 02:38 PM

Well it has decimated the fan worm population in the tank and it is now starting to swim up under the BTA and nip at it's base.

FishyMel 07/21/2008 05:13 PM

Yes, they never leave fan worms alone. Those are a 100% no with Copper bandeds. If it is nipping your bta it is time to take it out, they are relentless. Once they start they don't stop. I suggest taking it back to your lfs. If you really liked it you can try another. Once again they are 50/50. I had one that didn't work, then took it back and got another and it doesn't nip.

HABS#1 07/21/2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12994065#post12994065 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishyMel
Yes, they never leave fan worms alone. Those are a 100% no with Copper bandeds. If it is nipping your bta it is time to take it out, they are relentless. Once they start they don't stop. I suggest taking it back to your lfs. If you really liked it you can try another. Once again they are 50/50. I had one that didn't work, then took it back and got another and it doesn't nip.
Ya the LFS doesn't have anymore I called so I am going to keep this one and watch my BTA slowly get eaten.

FishyMel 07/21/2008 07:49 PM

You could just have the lfs give you credit and wait until they get one. My lfs gets shipments 1 or 2 times a week and they almost always get cb's in them

alprazo 07/21/2008 08:34 PM

agreed - once it has started nipping - more than an experimental bite, it will continue to pick and pick until none is left. If you want the BTA, I would take it back.

HABS#1 07/21/2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12995137#post12995137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishyMel
You could just have the lfs give you credit and wait until they get one. My lfs gets shipments 1 or 2 times a week and they almost always get cb's in them
LOL my LFS will give me a credit but it is only 1/3 or less of what I paid for the fish he is stingy that way. No matter if I just picked it up or I have had it for years.

Big E 07/22/2008 03:21 AM

The first mistake you made was not QT'ing the CBB and train it to eat prepared foods. It would have been less likely to eat the BTA if it's already eating other foods & being well fed.

How bout trying to put a divider(eggcrate) in the tank till you get the CBB eating regular foods & so the BTA can recover? I'm suprised your clowns aren't protecting it.

HABS#1 07/22/2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12996968#post12996968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big E
The first mistake you made was not QT'ing the CBB and train it to eat prepared foods. It would have been less likely to eat the BTA if it's already eating other foods & being well fed.

How bout trying to put a divider(eggcrate) in the tank till you get the CBB eating regular foods & so the BTA can recover? I'm suprised your clowns aren't protecting it.

The CBB waits till the clowns are sitting inside it on top then it comes up from underneath the BTA so they seldome see it when they do they chase it away. eggcrate won't work with my rock layout so that is a good suggestion just not possible at this time. QT why QT I do the 1 cup of water acclimation metod in the bag then straight into the DT.

djdime 07/22/2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12997482#post12997482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HABS#1
QT why QT I do the 1 cup of water acclimation metod in the bag then straight into the DT.
i personally dont QT because i dont have room for a QT tank but if you think thats an alternative to quaranteening i think maybe you really have the wrong end of the stick?

HABS#1 07/22/2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12997696#post12997696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by djdime
i personally dont QT because i dont have room for a QT tank but if you think thats an alternative to quaranteening i think maybe you really have the wrong end of the stick?
I really have no desire to QT my fish all my livestock comes from teh same LFS and he does a very good job of QT when the fish arrive he uses hypo for the first 2 weeks then moves them up from there so I am pretty sure the fish are all safe.

Big E 07/22/2008 02:25 PM

Even still HABS, copperbands need to be conditioned to eat prepared foods without competition & temptation of just eating whats on the rock.

That's one big reason imo, why so many people fail with this fish.......they never get it eating properly.............they always want to put in the DT cause they "think" it's better for the fish.
It's probably one of the worst things they could do.

HABS#1 07/22/2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13000252#post13000252 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big E
Even still HABS, copperbands need to be conditioned to eat prepared foods without competition & temptation of just eating whats on the rock.

That's one big reason imo, why so many people fail with this fish.......they never get it eating properly.............they always want to put in the DT cause they "think" it's better for the fish.
It's probably one of the worst things they could do.

Point taken this fish is eating fine eating mysis and all the featherdusters it can fin on my rocks etc.