Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Seaweed clip question.... (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2667139)

bmxman37 02/08/2018 07:20 PM

Seaweed clip question....

Hello... I was wondering... instead of my giant omega one clip that tends to fall off every once in a while... I have these Ohio state (has print is what I was getting at) half rubber and plastic with a magnet on the back.... and I was just going to use another magnet on the back. Do you think that wrighting could come off or any problem with that magnet in the water? I finally got my tang to eat off a clip instead of a rubber banding it to a rock every day!! Ha

Reef noob_ 02/08/2018 07:30 PM

If the magnet is exposed it will rust in the saltwater...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haunt 02/08/2018 07:32 PM

Just cut the Nori into small pieces with some scissors. Soak it in some water for a few minutes and feed it like you would flakes. Problem solved. :)

nycman 02/08/2018 11:37 PM

you could always get the ones that hand on the tank rim and use no magnets nor suction cups

Watchm@n 02/09/2018 01:41 AM

Is your tank braced or rimless...
Mine is braced... So I have a clip and threaded some fishing line through it.. Then made a knot around the brace...
So whenever I feed.. I just drop the clip in and it sinks maybe 5 inches or so below the water... And everyone has a feast... When they are done.. I just pull the fishing line back up again... No need to put my hand in the tank...

I got the idea from someone on YouTube.. So not claiming it as my own... But works great... [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

OrionN 02/09/2018 06:16 AM

I suspended the clip with fish line in the middle of the water column. This way snails and sea urchins cannot get to it. Just the fishes. I have several Urchins, and a huge abalone that would make short works of the seaweed that I feeds the fishes everyday. The CUC need to earn their keep by eating the algae on the rock.

YetiCrab 02/09/2018 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrionN (Post 25357025)
I suspended the clip with fish line in the middle of the water column. This way snails and sea urchins cannot get to it. Just the fishes. I have several Urchins, and a huge abalone that would make short works of the seaweed that I feeds the fishes everyday. The CUC need to earn their keep by eating the algae on the rock.

I do something similar. I cut a piece of 3/4 pvc and hang it with fishing line. I attach the nori with a rubber band. This allows the larger fish to tear without pulling the entire sheet.

homer1475 02/09/2018 08:04 AM

My fish won't go near a seaweed clip, instead I just roll a small piece up and rubber band it to a rock. The rock is a more natural and the fish are not afraid of it.

bmxman37 02/10/2018 09:40 PM

I was doin a rubber band to a rock but i got tired of sticking my hand at the bottom of the tank every day and the yellow tang i rescued just got over hlle and i wanted to always have seaweed available just so he is as healthy as he can be.... He has been eating off that clip lately... I honestly just hate how it looks.. That bright blue plastic omega clip.. I just thought $24 was kind of steep for that nice magnetic one........ Also while im here... I had a nidas blenny jump through my old cover. I just made a new one with the plastic mesh for a screen. Do you think that block too much light? I was thinking of just drilling holes in it.

oldhead 02/11/2018 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmxman37 (Post 25358805)
I was doin a rubber band to a rock but i got tired of sticking my hand at the bottom of the tank every day and the yellow tang i rescued just got over hlle and i wanted to always have seaweed available just so he is as healthy as he can be.... He has been eating off that clip lately... I honestly just hate how it looks.. That bright blue plastic omega clip.. I just thought $24 was kind of steep for that nice magnetic one........ Also while im here... I had a nidas blenny jump through my old cover. I just made a new one with the plastic mesh for a screen. Do you think that block too much light? I was thinking of just drilling holes in it.

What kind of plastic mesh? Like this?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html

bmxman37 02/14/2018 01:16 AM

no i literally had a whole roll of plastic screen that you would have on ur sliding screen door... and already had the parts laying around to build the frame. at first i put it on just like that .... but i thought it was a little too restrictive, so i drilled a whole every square inch... working great, I'm even evaporating about half the water i was before . which is nice.... maybe add a few more holes if i see any corals stretching..... what is nice is i left out holes like where the sand bed is so its really highlighting just the places corals are and keeping my prisoned fish .... i should start making them i have so much extra

Vinny Kreyling 02/14/2018 12:24 PM

Guys -- you can always use the magnetic glass cleaner instead of a clip.

mako61 02/14/2018 03:34 PM

Two Little Fishies Veggiemag

a little pricey, but works great. I fold my nori a couple time so they cant rip it apart so easy.

running scott 02/15/2018 08:00 PM

Ok I will share my secret nori feeding invention with all of you. Mag float, nori, BRS screen, and rubber bands holding the screen over the nori. Allows the fish to only take small nips, no big chunks ever floating around the tank. No loosing the wet side “it floats”. Cut the screen so it wraps most of the way around the mag float. YOU ARE ALL WELCOME.

Breadman03 02/15/2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running scott (Post 25364172)
Ok I will share my secret nori feeding invention with all of you. Mag float, nori, BRS screen, and rubber bands holding the screen over the nori. Allows the fish to only take small nips, no big chunks ever floating around the tank. No loosing the wet side “it floats”. Cut the screen so it wraps most of the way around the mag float. YOU ARE ALL WELCOME.

Screenshot to remember in the AM.