Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anemones & Clownfish (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   RBTA starting to kill coral (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2664555)

Str8linespeed 01/15/2018 06:50 PM

RBTA starting to kill coral

I got a nice little RBTA, from a local person who had theirs split numerous times, Well that was last spring. My Nem is now about 8" and becoming a pain. After lights out, it will shrink to about half its size, but the longer the lights are on the more it expands and extends. I just moved a piece of SPS that I think is for sure dead. The nem doesnt move around the tank, but it sure does extend out during the day and this is causing it to sting multiple other corals.

The piece of rock that its in is very porous and its foot is way inside that rock. I cant move it any other place in my tank, due to all the other corals and who knows if it will stay there. I have the feeling its just going to outgrow its current location and my tank. I've heard of possibly using a cold spoon, I just dont think that will work and will be warm by the time I get under its body. What are my options, for possibly removing it without hurting it.

I really enjoy the nem, but my gosh its just getting so big!

windlasher 01/15/2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Str8linespeed (Post 25332380)
I got a nice little RBTA, from a local person who had theirs split numerous times, Well that was last spring. My Nem is now about 8" and becoming a pain. After lights out, it will shrink to about half its size, but the longer the lights are on the more it expands and extends. I just moved a piece of SPS that I think is for sure dead. The nem doesnt move around the tank, but it sure does extend out during the day and this is causing it to sting multiple other corals.

The piece of rock that its in is very porous and its foot is way inside that rock. I cant move it any other place in my tank, due to all the other corals and who knows if it will stay there. I have the feeling its just going to outgrow its current location and my tank. I've heard of possibly using a cold spoon, I just dont think that will work and will be warm by the time I get under its body. What are my options, for possibly removing it without hurting it.

I really enjoy the nem, but my gosh its just getting so big!

Well, good luck. I am not sure how to get them to move unless they want to. You can try aiming a powerhead at it and see if it gets annoyed enough to move. If you do manage, PM me. I'm in Minneapolis. Might be interested.

D-Nak 01/15/2018 10:17 PM

Your situation sounds completely normal, and is the main reason why people with SPS/mixed reefs don't keep BTAs.

Sounds like you've got a major re-aquascape in your future. The only way to remove a BTA that's "dug" into a rock is to remove the entire rock and use a hammer and chisel to break the rock apart and pull out the nem.

OrionN 01/16/2018 08:11 AM

For an anemone reef, you got to have sparely populated corals and able and willing to move the coral to accommodate your anemone.
While BTA may be one of the easiest host anemones to keep, it is one of the most difficult anemone to keep in your tank and keep the tank happy. They move around too much and we (I) cannot predict where it will move to.

Jekerry 01/16/2018 10:02 AM

I got one when I first set up my tank. It killed a fish and then started to kill a coral. I just gently rubbed it’s foot at the base until it let go. It took a while but worked. Then I took it back to the fish store.

You have to rub them right at the base of the foot. I used my fingers. Kinda push into the base and as it moves away, get under the foot and just keep working it.

Str8linespeed 01/16/2018 12:27 PM

Thank you everyone for the info. I love the fact that the clowns host in the nem, and its enjoyable to watch in my tank, but I think its time to break this rock and for it to move on. The SPS that it killed and some of the others that its touching are not looking to well.

Since I have your attention, how are rock flower nems to keep?? Similar to RBTA's?

humphreyhh 01/17/2018 09:24 AM

RBTA starting to kill coral

Rock flower anemone is easier to keep than btas. It has mild sting, it almost doesn’t move, it wont get too big and it doesn’t host clownfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randyz 01/22/2018 07:27 PM

If you have a torch coral place it next to the bubble tip so that they are touching. The torch has a stronger sting and the bubble tip will move. I learned this on accident

Str8linespeed 01/24/2018 06:18 PM

Well I tried a couple of different things to get it out of the rock. In the end I had to hammer and chisel part of the rock to get to its foot. Gentle massage of its foot for awhile and it eventually came off.

Now Im just waiting for someone locally to actually come thru and pick it up. I wish I could of moved it someplace else in my tank and knew it was going to stay there, but thats not likely.

Thanks for the info on the rock flower nems, I'll take a look into those and maybe even mini-max nems.

ChizerBunoi 01/28/2018 01:44 AM

Do you have a breeding box or a basket you can float it in (at the top)?

Or maybe into the refugium?

Anemone 02/01/2018 11:59 PM

Yeah, I had a mixed reef once. Then I had a RBTA species tank! If you are one of the "lucky ones" who can keep BTAs, you may have to chose between a mixed reef and a BTAs.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php

Kevin

Jtyjackson 03/28/2018 09:02 AM

I have started to throw rocks on top of mine, they sting almost any coral it comes near in my tank. I probably have lost 10 or so frags because of nem stings...

Str8linespeed 03/28/2018 11:11 AM

Thanks everyone. This is no longer an issue, the nem found a new home. I do miss having it in my tank, but it just didnt work out.

LauraGreenImp 03/28/2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone (Post 25349996)
Yeah, I had a mixed reef once. Then I had a RBTA species tank! If you are one of the "lucky ones" who can keep BTAs, you may have to chose between a mixed reef and a BTAs.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php

Kevin

Looks like imma have rbta species tank, I guess. RBTA came out in front where we can actually see it last wknd, it’s *huge*. I feel for the lone sps, the chalice.

Y’all check back w me in ten years...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro