Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Hydrogen Peroxide for a simple coral dip? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2137317)

ReeferHead84 02/24/2012 09:12 PM

Hydrogen Peroxide for a simple coral dip?

As far as I know this method is fairly new to the hobby and is not widely talked about. The procedure is simple, add RO/DI water & Hydrogen Peroxide in a container then drop your frag/coral in the dip for a few minutes then rinse with RO/Di water then place the frag/coral in DT. The only thing that concerns me is there's not a solid measurement to abide by. I read 6:1 ratio, 10:1, 1:1 and many others, also read the dip is not safe for some corals.

What are your experiences with the dip? What pests if any do they affect and how safe is it? I'm curious, could this be another way to dip, just like how dosing Vodka/Sugar shifted the paradigm of traditional nutrient reduction, could dipping coral be as simple as a bottle of HP? Just had my cogs turning. :wildone:

bertoni 02/24/2012 10:20 PM

Someone is using a 1:1 water and 3% hydrogen peroxide solution on corals? That's brave.

The degree to which corals could tolerate this type of bath likely would vary from species to species. Personally, I'd stick with other approaches, but it'd be possible to work out a safe approach with a lot of tests.

greengeco82 02/24/2012 11:16 PM

coral rx smells like pine-sol. im going to try that..lol

feersomen 02/25/2012 01:02 AM

i think it would depend on the coral and what you're looking to achieve. If just a preventative i would favor the lighter side.

dirtyBit 02/25/2012 01:04 PM

I've dipped with H2O2 but used tank water not RO/DI. I would not probably dip SPS in it either. Mushrooms and zoas were okay but my clove polyps did not like it and have remained closed for weeks after but did not die. It's great for getting rid of algae on specific rocks though.

DrBegalke 02/25/2012 01:14 PM

What would be the possible advantage? I don't see any reason to even try this, as traditional methods of coral dips have always worked well for me.

karsseboom 02/25/2012 04:44 PM

You should never dip sps corals in rodi water.

Big E 02/26/2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBegalke (Post 19931175)
What would be the possible advantage? I don't see any reason to even try this, as traditional methods of coral dips have always worked well for me.

No reason to change for you then............it's new enough where I don't think I'd want to do it until more people are guinea pigs. There are some experiences elsewhere on the internet with more info.

Apparently it's very effective in killing pesky macro algae on frag plugs without harming zoas.

Hinds04 03/03/2013 09:20 PM

I have done this with many zoas to remove bryopsis from frags. I've always used a 1:1 ratio. Peroxide/tank water. I do a 4 min dip and then rinse in another bowl of tank water. It works wonderfully.

brandon429 03/04/2013 12:47 AM

I too wouldn't use freshwater it would be tank water and whatever dilution.

The first days of vodka dosing had similar hesitancy, now everyone twelve steps their system its just a matter of time. Any method that gets an end result safely will find a niche in aquarium husbandry, prediction.

All dip chemicals have toxicity levels and in that little difference exists among them. All you do is repeat known safe approaches, so it doesn't matter what is used as long as the prophylaxis is effective and the coral unharmed. Getting the end result is the goal whether its lugols, fw, h202, revive etc

Imo people should use what they can best wield and predict.

Basman346 03/04/2013 01:16 AM

I had some zoas that weren't opening. The lfs recommended a 1:1 ratio and the next day or the day after they opened and been going strong since.

Don't know what they had but it worked for me.

Ron Reefman 03/04/2013 02:19 AM

I use Bayer Advance Insect and Germ Killer from HD. Under $10/gallon and use at a 1 part Bayer to 10part tank water for 5-10 minutes. Works great. I have flatworms in my DT and I don't let coral leave my house unless it's clean.

barjam 03/04/2013 09:19 AM

Fresh water will outright kill sps. Sps seems able to tolerate hydrogen peroxide if some splashes on it while spot treating for algae though or sitting in the rinse container that has residual hydrogen peroxide from spot treatment.

strittmatter 03/04/2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Reefman (Post 21236797)
I use Bayer Advance Insect and Germ Killer from HD. Under $10/gallon and use at a 1 part Bayer to 10part tank water for 5-10 minutes. Works great. I have flatworms in my DT and I don't let coral leave my house unless it's clean.

This...it seems to me that Bayers kills anything and is the easiest on corals. SPS and LPS.

RileyLAFD 10/21/2013 10:38 AM

Best used for algae removal....

brandon429 10/21/2013 10:46 AM

as the two large peroxide threads have progressed since the time of this thread, and gained hundreds of new input posts, my current take is keep it off the polyps when you can. we see lots of LPS dipping for encroachment and even preventative reasons where they could have just painted or spot applied the peroxide to the skeleton only having never contacted the flesh. We try to distill in that thread the least impactful way of applying peroxide if that is what the keeper has selected for their problem.

full treatments in-tank are continuing and we are getting feedback there as well, and in the majority of cases it was not needed as most of the rocks could have been pulled and treated externally. The keeper opted for the method simply because it worked fast, for the tanks its worked in. I wonder where peroxide dosing will be in 2015. maybe a fad that will be gone...but something better will have to come along for my own tank to cheat its self to old age....havent found anything better so far. lots of alternate methods exist if someone wants another angle on their issues.

Reeferz412 10/21/2013 10:49 AM

I use 1:1 dip on zoas. Any other coral I would use 2:1. and it is usually 30-60 seconds in the solution.

tmz 10/21/2013 01:05 PM

I use it for zoantids. 1 part hydrogen peroxide an 4 parts tank water for 6 minutes. Some acros are ok with it,, Chalices hate it. Monits seem to suffer with it , calsutea and euphylillia tolerat it. It cleans up zoantids frags infested withsome algae,most notably red turf algae. It does not howerver knock out bryopsis,ime.

The Bayer insecticides do well as a dip. I use the Avanced complete insect killer for soil and turf concentrate at 30ml for 1500 ml of tank water for 5minutes. This is followed by a long soak, at least an hour in a gallon or two of tank water with a powerhead to remove and cyfluthurin hanging around( it's highly toxic to fish).

duraace9sp 12/30/2018 06:20 PM

It is supposed to
kill dinoflaggettes......I tried but the strain I had eventually lead me to breakdown and disinfect the entire tank.....

As far as the peroxide at the levels I dumped in the display..about 4-5 oz in a 100 display - I fought them over a year and this particular strain I could never eradicate.....that noted HP was suggested specifically for dino’s