Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Tesselata (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2642317)

jt48 06/27/2017 06:37 AM

Tesselata

I have a 33" Tesselata that is doing well being fed frozen silversides twice per week. Prior to feeding I soak the feed in Zoecon and garlic extreme. I was considering introducing live feeder minnows sold at a bait and tackle shop. However I am concerned about possibly introducing parasites from the feeder fish and risking that the Eel would stop accepting frozen foods. What do you think?

benjammin03 06/27/2017 07:33 AM

If he's already eating frozen, I don't see the benefit of going back to live food. You are probably already feeding him more nutritious food and keeping with frozen will be easier to get a varied diet. I don't know if you have any other fish, but if you do, teaching him to hunt live fish probably isn't a good idea either.

jt48 06/27/2017 07:41 AM

I thought but was unsure if the live food was more nutritious as several reputable companies claim that to be true but, they never discuss adding supplements to frozen such as garlic and Zoecon. No other fish are with the Eel so probably the only benefit would be the coolness factor. Thanks for your feedback. I will keep with frozen.

Cliving1 06/27/2017 10:48 AM

I believe long term garlic will also harm the eel. Usually garlic is used with lack of appetite, not for every meal.

pinnatus 06/27/2017 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliving1 (Post 25130579)
I believe long term garlic will also harm the eel. Usually garlic is used with lack of appetite, not for every meal.

Unless the eel is Italian.

carrots 06/27/2017 07:46 PM

When I fed my eels frozen silversides or minnows, I would pack it's mouth with a high quality pellet food before feeding it to the eels. Going back to live food makes no sense.

jt48 06/27/2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinnatus (Post 25130750)

Nope. From Sri Lanka. South of India

jt48 06/27/2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carrots (Post 25131163)
When I fed my eels frozen silversides or minnows, I would pack it's mouth with a high quality pellet food before feeding it to the eels. Going back to live food makes no sense.

Interesting. Thanks.

Anthony357 06/28/2017 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinnatus (Post 25130750)

haha!

Mishri 06/28/2017 04:49 PM

frozen foods don't lose nutrients.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...ticle-1.174469

frozen vegetables typically have more nutrients than fresh because they are frozen quickly, while the vegetables you get in stores are already decaying. In just 2 weeks from being freshly harvested green beans lose 45% of their nutrients.

now live vs frozen is going to have slightly more.. but not enough for it to really matter imo.

jalisco 06/29/2017 02:28 AM

Over the years we've had several reptiles that would just not breed on a frozen->thawed diet. Fed live and boomchicawow next breeding attempt was successful.

A tank is fairly unstimulating as it is and I beleive eels mucous membranes have evolved to protect them from a diet of less than stellar prey. I'm sure there are internal parasites to be concerned with but my snowflake never caught anything from the hundereds of chromis and damsels he ate over the years. Feeding him live fish never made him look at the bigeye squirrel or triggers any differently but then a snowflake ain't no G. fav..

I'd do it and put the youtube link here.

jalisco 06/29/2017 02:30 AM

Also agree on no garlic and packing frozen with pellets is an awesome idea.

benjammin03 06/29/2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalisco (Post 25132428)
Over the years we've had several reptiles that would just not breed on a frozen->thawed diet. Fed live and boomchicawow next breeding attempt was successful.

A tank is fairly unstimulating as it is and I beleive eels mucous membranes have evolved to protect them from a diet of less than stellar prey. I'm sure there are internal parasites to be concerned with but my snowflake never caught anything from the hundereds of chromis and damsels he ate over the years. Feeding him live fish never made him look at the bigeye squirrel or triggers any differently but then a snowflake ain't no G. fav..

I'd do it and put the youtube link here.

I think chromis and damsels are much different than minnows if you are going to live feed. Those would be better nutritionally, but also significantly more expensive.

g-reef 05/17/2018 10:39 AM

add more saltwater fish to his diet. octopus squid sardines etc theyn eat pretty much any meat,
i do not believe a steady diet of silversides is healthy in the long run