Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   queen angel reef safe (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2186740)

bill4t 06/30/2012 10:54 PM

queen angel reef safe

all places say reef safe with caution has anyone had one in there reef. how did it wrk out? I love these fish and would like to get one and have been doing a lot of reeding but wanted to get some opinions from people who have actually had some in there reef.

secrest 06/30/2012 11:36 PM

I would say no. I have never heard of anyone keeping a queen angel successfully in a reef aquarium.

bullitr 07/01/2012 12:14 AM

It depends what corals you keeping all sps not problem, Zoa and some LPS will get eaten otherwise it's reef safe

Check out Copps and last version tank
Both have amazing reef with queen angel

secrest 07/01/2012 12:32 AM

I totally forgot about copps tank. I stand corrected.

RyanSweatt2004 07/01/2012 08:53 AM

I've seen a 10 inch adult raised and kept with soft corals at my LFS here in Maine. Zooanthids and cloves were usually not safe, but all other leathers, mushrooms, xenia and types of star polyps were never bothered. I've had the same results with small sub adult queens in my own tanks. Never had an issue with them nipping at clams either. It really is a with caution because they will eat certain corals. Worth it if your willing to sacrifice a few types of corals to have one.

trinidiver 07/01/2012 09:32 AM

I had a 6" queen once and it devoured my zoas and nipped at mushrooms. It was wild caught. They are abundant where i live.

nrbelk 07/10/2012 04:59 PM

I am curious at this subject as well. What about clams? Do they nip at clams often?

reef kid96 07/10/2012 07:57 PM

if you do get one you must get it you get it as a juvenile because then you can almost "train" it to not eat your corals or clams, but in the end some will do what they want and you can't do anything about it .

snorvich 07/10/2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reef kid96 (Post 20451005)
if you do get one you must get it you get it as a juvenile because then you can almost "train" it to not eat your corals or clams, but in the end some will do what they want and you can't do anything about it .

Why do you think you can train them?

jjk_reef00 07/10/2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorvich (Post 20451115)
Why do you think you can train them?

+1 there is no training this fish. IMO if you have a large healthy queen that leaves anything alone you are fortunate and in the minority.

Rapide 07/11/2012 03:10 AM

It should be "Not reef safe with exceptions" not "Reef safe with caution" :D
I was so close to getting one, but then didn't... I got a Pomacanthus navarcus instead. Not reef safe, but we'll see what happens. Still dreaming about the H.ciliaris, but maybe leaning more towards the Pomacanthus maculosus now...

alton 07/11/2012 06:00 AM

I had an adult that ate GSP, I had a Juvenile that was great until I moved up from my 200 to my 300 and for whatever reason then started eating my Frogspawn

sandwi54 07/11/2012 11:58 AM

Queen angel, which belongs to the Holacanthus genus, is the least reef-safe angel. I wouldn't even try.

Also, it seems like you are building a 180g, which is still far too small for a queen angel. It gets absolutely massive and needs at least a 96 x 30" footprint to feel comfortable. By the time it matures, including the caudal filments the total length could be pushing close to 20"!

A better bet would be a majestic angel. It's much more reef-safe than queen, stays relatively small (around 8-10"), and is suitable for a 180g.

Ninong 07/11/2012 04:03 PM

I have a friend who tried to keep a Queen Angelfish in a 180-gal reef aquarium. It was about 4" long when he got it. He had to remove it 8 or 9 months later because it became too territorial as it grew larger and it became impossible for him to add any new fish to the tank. He avoided problems with corals by simply giving up on trying to keep anything the angel would go after.

:)

MrTuskfish 07/11/2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reef kid96 (Post 20451005)

If I read this right: if you can almost train it and it won't end up trained, then it isn't trained or reef safe, right? I guess I agree.

Sure, there are a few in reefs, but I think mine is typical. He's in a 240 and this tank is really becoming too small. Its about the last Angel I'd try in a reef. Read what LA says about them, and they are usually prone to give the benefit of the doubt.http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...419&pcatid=419

Sheol 07/11/2012 06:00 PM

Aside from "Reef Safe" being mostly a myth concerning most fish, this is not one you want in a Reef. Not only that, but they are among the more aggressive Angels & has been said, get HUGE..

Matthew

Kahuna Tuna 07/11/2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

A better bet would be a majestic angel. It's much more reef-safe than queen, stays relatively small (around 8-10"), and is suitable for a 180g.
+1 The majestic is the only suitable Pomacanthus in a tank that small and is one of the less destructive angels in a reef.

alton 07/12/2012 06:23 AM

Hopefully we have not discouraged you from getting one? They are beautiful fish, just have to realize when it starts nipping you have to take a chance on losing the coral or just remove it and find another that taste really bad like Xenia. I would start with a small juvenile from KP Aquatics(Sea Life Direct) home grown in Florida and enjoy. The two I had where never aggressive. My large was with several clown triggers, pseudochromis, and flame angel. The juvenile I had was with several other angels.

SUP 08/12/2012 07:42 AM

Alton,

Did you have any difficulty with the Queen and Clown Trigger? What size was the Queen / CT?

SUP

runintoluck 08/12/2012 01:15 PM

Really depends on the fish. I had a queen she wouldn't nip any lps torch hammer, etc but found a taste or preference for montis tho. Had to go.

humaguy 08/12/2012 11:05 PM

Queens love zoas...
Clown trigs need to be kept alone...when very small, perhaps they will be okay, but one day- bad things will happen....

ABlueReef 08/12/2012 11:15 PM

I added a 2.5 inch juvi queen to my tank and in two days started munching on my zoas and picking on my chalices. Didnt go near the sps. I was lucky enough to catch it out and is in my quarantine until it can go in ky friends 200 gal fowlr. Was hoping to have some succes with them in the reef. Oh well, gonna have to add a dwarf angel instead.