Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Best Coral Book (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767260)

JM68 01/01/2010 11:36 AM

Best Coral Book

Whenever i have a question about a coral i find myself searching online and more often than not i can't find the answer to my question. I'm considering buying a book or two about corals just to have as a quick reference when i have a question or just feel like learning a little. Anyone have an opinion on some of the best books on coral out there? I'm looking at "Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman, it seems like it has good reviews, but i don't want to by a 30$ book that has a bunch of useless info in it. What does everyone think?

Texxxx 01/01/2010 12:04 PM

I have that book and I think it is a great book.
I also have "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner
I think both books are great books.

twiggyb 01/01/2010 12:14 PM

I like "The Marine Reef Aquarium" by Philip hunt, but It's more of how to get started, however it gives pretty good descriptions of the different corals that are good for reef aquariums and what to look out for. Also, " What Invertebrates? A Buyer's Guide For Marine Aquariums" by Tristan Lougher. It has tons of info about all sorts of inverts, good and bad, where they come from, reef compatibility, fish compatibility, etc. although I'm sure there's probably better reads out there. This is just what I could find at a barnes and noble around here.

v1...rotate 01/01/2010 12:22 PM

I also have the 'Aquarium Corals' book by Borneman which is great to start with. Definitely worth it and would probably be the best to start with.

However if you feel more adventurous later on, the best coral identification book out there is called 'Corals Of the World' (3 volumes) by Jen Veron. Excellent and extremely detailed. It is purely for coral identification with great colour pictures. Rather expensive but certainly worth every penny! Can buy it from Amazon.com

MCCOOL 01/01/2010 12:36 PM

"corals: a quick reference guide" by Julian Sprung

I have and recommend this one

Edit: the Jen Veron books are great also

Tang Salad 01/01/2010 01:11 PM

Borneman's book is good for identification to the Genus level. It also has some great information on water chemistry. I find its care guides for specific corals to be very generic and full of repetition. Still, a great all-around book.

Veron's series is the best there is for identification, right down to species. It has no captive care information, though. It does have some excellent general information about corals. The chapter on reticulate evolution is one of the most interesting pieces I've ever read.

reefscape15 01/01/2010 03:20 PM

Borneman's book is great. Another book that I feel that everyone should read is "Natural Reef Aquariums" by John Tullock. Best book on reef keeping IMO.

dwd5813 01/01/2010 03:23 PM

i have borneman's book and if i didn't i'd get it. that said there are others out there that i've been wanting to pick up as well. the ones listed above are also on my list of books to get.

DolphinLVR 01/02/2010 11:38 AM

Great Input! I am looking to get newer books as I am going to be getting back into the hobby after a 25 yr abscense.

Frick-n-Frags 01/02/2010 11:50 AM

EB's book is my general info goto book. best overview of things. i have more specific books for more specific things like SPS or fish, but for softie info, that's about the best i have.