Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Keep NPS, LPS and SPS (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2674395)

Shark888 04/23/2018 12:22 PM

Keep NPS, LPS and SPS

Hello,

Im planning to keep a mix of NPS, LPS and SPS on my 40G tank.

As what I have read and understand its not easy to keep NPS and SPS together right ?

Im planning to use Zeovit system and I would like to read you advises if its can be done this way or not (with zeovit system). At least I would not purchase a lot more NPS and concentrate only with LPS and SPS.

Tripod1404 04/23/2018 12:46 PM

Its hard to do in a 40G tank.

Shark888 04/23/2018 01:07 PM

What do you think about the Zeovit system ? It would be possible using it I guess...

mcgyvr 04/23/2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark888 (Post 25422050)
What do you think about the Zeovit system ? It would be possible using it I guess...

There is really nothing magic about zeovit.. My experience is its really nothing special.. Just another system that can help "some" but it doesn't make the impossible possible..

IMO it just excels at reducing the amount of money in your pocket vs anything else.. If it was so good we would all be using it..
Its a rather expensive system to buy into..

Shark888 04/23/2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgyvr (Post 25422060)
There is really nothing magic about zeovit.. My experience is its really nothing special.. Just another system that can help "some" but it doesn't make the impossible possible..

IMO it just excels at reducing the amount of money in your pocket vs anything else.. If it was so good we would all be using it..
Its a rather expensive system to buy into..

So pumping their Zeolite is just useless, I was counting on it to make my tank water perfect...

mcgyvr 04/23/2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark888 (Post 25422072)
So pumping their Zeolite is just useless, I was counting on it to make my tank water perfect...

I never said useless...
Just not "magic" or better stated.. "Don't expect miracles"

Trigger Tough 04/23/2018 02:04 PM

In that size tank I would choose one of the 3

Tripod1404 04/23/2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark888 (Post 25422072)

Zeo is not a method to make the water prefect and zeo tanks do not have perfect water. They have very nutrient poor water.

It causes the corals to come to the brink of bleaching. If you can keep them at that state, they look brightly colored due to fluorescent proteins showing up against very pale base color. They generally also have high PE, as they try to catch as much as food possible.

It is also not a method for everyone. It is very demanding in terms of both money, time, knowledge and experience. Keeping corals in the brink of bleaching means they will immediately bleach if something goes slightly wrong. Accidentally dosing more alk or changing light bulbs can cause all the corals to bleach in few days. It also makes introducing new corals extremely hard.

I did zeo for several years before giving up on it because I wasnt able to introduce new corals.

devimik 04/23/2018 04:38 PM

I'm sure you've researched NPS corals too as they are very demanding from a care perspective. They require lots of food because they don't contain zooxanthellae to make their own food from light. Cool corals though, but know what you're getting into before buying. Not sure how keeping NPS and using Zeovit would work together due to the high feeding requirements of NPS. Good luck.