Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Reef Octopus External skimmer (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657699)

Dj.dale 11/09/2017 04:46 PM

Reef Octopus External skimmer

Does anyone have a external skimmer ? I want one but it won’t fit under my stand so I want to put it just on the outside of the stand and wondering do anyone know how loud it is ? My tank is in the living room along a wall and don’t want to hear a loud pump .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dj.dale 11/10/2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj.dale (Post 25268766)
Does anyone have a external skimmer ? I want one but it won’t fit under my stand so I want to put it just on the outside of the stand and wondering do anyone know how loud it is ? My tank is in the living room along a wall and don’t want to hear a loud pump .

Hmm guess no one wants to respond [emoji19]

Leopardshark 11/10/2017 03:24 PM

I have the HOB 1000 octopus skimmer. Just ran it 2 weeks but I think it makes a decent job, but it is advertised for up to 800 l (200 gal) and I wouldn´t use it in a tank bigger than 70 gal.
regards

Dj.dale 11/10/2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopardshark (Post 25269710)
I have the HOB 1000 octopus skimmer. Just ran it 2 weeks but I think it makes a decent job, but it is advertised for up to 800 l (200 gal) and I wouldn´t use it in a tank bigger than 70 gal.
regards

Thanks I like to hear from someone that has a external skimmer like a 5000 or 6000 external skimmer noise

Mark Bianco 11/10/2017 04:14 PM

When I had my big tank I ran an SRO 6000 EXT it was outside my sump but in the basement and my display tank was upstairs. It wasnt unbearable but nothing I would put in my living room. I am very irritated by pump / skimmer noise. Dont get me wrong its not as loud as some and it did an awesome job...

Cheapreef 11/10/2017 04:29 PM

If your looking for quiet I would look into a DC pump driven skimmer, I had a CoralBox DC skimmer couldn't hear anything from the skimmer other than the air inlet. I currently run a Reef Octopus internal and it's very quiet as well, but not like the DC driven skimmer was.

desjardinii 11/11/2017 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj.dale (Post 25269734)
Thanks I like to hear from someone that has a external skimmer like a 5000 or 6000 external skimmer noise

I ran a 5000ext in the living room but housed it in it's own cabinet so noise wasn't an issue. The pump itself was very quiet but it drew a lot of air which was noticeable and created a bit of a rumble, it was a fairly large skimmer. Now have scaled down to an SRO 3000 int to gain back some floor space and it's quieter.

Dj.dale 11/11/2017 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desjardinii (Post 25270265)
I ran a 5000ext in the living room but housed it in it's own cabinet so noise wasn't an issue. The pump itself was very quiet but it drew a lot of air which was noticeable and created a bit of a rumble, it was a fairly large skimmer. Now have scaled down to an SRO 3000 int to gain back some floor space and it's quieter.

Thank you for replying !! So that’s what I am thinking of doing is making a cabinet of some sort . How did you or where did you buy and how did you get it to work with the plumbing to cover up the skimmer?

Dj.dale 11/11/2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheapreef (Post 25269802)
If your looking for quiet I would look into a DC pump driven skimmer, I had a CoralBox DC skimmer couldn't hear anything from the skimmer other than the air inlet. I currently run a Reef Octopus internal and it's very quiet as well, but not like the DC driven skimmer was.

Yeah the Reef Octopus Regal are DC pumps but man so much more expensive

desjardinii 11/11/2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj.dale (Post 25270296)
Thank you for replying !! So that’s what I am thinking of doing is making a cabinet of some sort . How did you or where did you buy and how did you get it to work with the plumbing to cover up the skimmer?

Hi I used a DIY flat-pack kitchen cabinet, it was the perfect height and being melamine could take a splash and was easy to keep clean. The plumbing to the sump was through holes I cut in the back panel. Here's a pic before I'd put the door on:
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/o...5ecbf07da4.jpg

Dj.dale 11/11/2017 05:30 PM

What about the top ? How did you clean the cup ? I’m gonna get a auto neck cleaner

desjardinii 11/11/2017 06:15 PM

For cup access I made a removable timber bench top that just sat in place, had about an inch clearance above the cup lid.