Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   keeping the Atlantic Sharpnose Shark (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973868)

krj-1168 11/16/2006 12:52 AM

keeping the Atlantic Sharpnose Shark

I was wondering does anyone have experience keeping the Atlantic Sharpnose Shark, in home aquaria.

This is a favorite shark of mine, and my dream shark to one day keep.

sharklover 11/16/2006 09:01 AM

Atl. Sharpnose

KRJ-1168,
I don't know how many responses you've recieved regarding this topic on other forums but I'll throw in my two cents worth here. I've kept a total of 15 Atl. Sharpnose over the last 3 years all with the same result. Even though they were small sharks (12-14 inchers) they did not seem to do well over the long haul. All of the sharks died within a month even though they ate well and had plenty of room to swim. The tank they were in was 13ftx8ftx3ft. I've heard from a couple of people that they have had luck with them in very large systems but I have not seen them personally. For some reason they just need a huge tank despite their relatively small size. I've had great success with Blacktips(C. limbatus) and Bonnetheads in that tank but not Sharpnoses. If you're serious about keeping them I would invest in a large pool/pond in the neighborhood of 18ft in diameter plus.
Fortunately for you, the waters where you live are infested with Sharpnoses. Anyway, don't waste your time with Sharpies unless you can set up a large pool for them. If you can then go for it. If that is your dream shark then I hope you can do that some day. I have to admit that the Sharpnose is an awesome looking shark and should be an ideal aquarium shark because of its size. Good luck to you.

krj-1168 11/16/2006 11:11 AM

First off, I'm not planning of getting sharpies any time soon.

If I do get sharpies, it will be at least 6 months away.

If do I'm thinking of a pool/tank that's oval shaped, and at least 16' long x 8' x 3-4' deep.

I'm wrote the post because I'm looking for the personal experiences of others instead of just jumping in and attempting to keep one.

I've also talked with other people who have kept sharpies, that had good luck with them. But they all seem to either live within a few hours drive from the coast or be very experienced, with very large shark ponds.

But most people and other sources(including biologists, & online dealers), seem to state that sharpies, have the some problem as most requiem sharks (the blacktip & blacktip reefs, appears to be the exceptions). That is they don't travel well, especially over long trips

Still I've also been told that sharpies are tempermental.

I know they are more active than blacktips(c. limbatus) or bonnetheads. I actually caught all 3 during my surf fishing trips. The Sharpies are general harder fighters - which may cut down on their survival rate in captivty.

sharklover 11/16/2006 03:31 PM

sharpnoses

All of my sharpnoses were transported by me personally about 2000 miles and all survived the trip and did well for at least a couple of weeks before they started dropping off. All of the other sharks I've transported and kept (Bull, Spinner, Blacktip, Bonnethead and Scalloped Hammerhead) have done well for great periods of time afterwards. There are only two people I know of that have claimed success with sharpnoses. One of them posts on here from time to time(MattieJ). The fact that you live in NC will afford you plenty of trial and error.

krj-1168 11/16/2006 06:34 PM

I've also heard that the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas - has them.

But I believe the keep them in one their shark lagoons - which would likely replica the sharpies natural habitat.

Does your tank have sharp corners or rounded ones. Just wondering if that would play a part. I've also heard that most requiems need rounded corners.

Also I'll try to email - mattiej.

sharklover 11/16/2006 08:52 PM

sharpnoses

My tanks do have rounded corners. I've stayed at the Atlantis and all I can recall seeing in the lagoons were Caribbean Reef Sharks, Scalloped Hammers, a sawfish or two and nurse sharks. There were some Bonnets as well. I do not recall ever seeing nor hearing about them keeping sharpnoses.

krj-1168 11/16/2006 11:43 PM

The Atlantis Resort or rather the owners of the Atlantis Resort have nearly 150 sharks in their care.

Since the PDF file I found on the net was released by them. The file was date for Feb. 2006

Covering at least 10 different species.

Including - Blacktips, Blacktip Reefs, Caribbean Reefs, Great Hammerheads, Nurse, Zebra, Blacknose, Bonnetheads, and Sharpnose(doesn't say they are Atlantic or Caribbean).

It's also very possible that either they hadn't collected the sharpies yet or they may have had the sharpies in a holding or QT tank - at the time you were there.

I'm also thinking that if I do eventually keep sharpies - I may need to make the tank/pond enviroment replica - their natural habitat as closely as possible.

krj-1168 11/17/2006 09:14 PM

I'm also wondering if the natural behavior, and temperment of the species - may cause some difficulties in the acclimation of this species by some individuals.

krj-1168 11/18/2006 06:54 PM

Biological Information on the Atlantic Sharpnose Shark

Here's some basic Biological Information on the Atlantic Sharpnose Shark, I've found .

Common Name: Atlantic Sharpnose Shark

Scientific Name: Rhizoprionodon terraenovae

Alias: "sand" shark, sharpnose, or sharpies

Maximum Adult Size: about 3.5 - 4 ft (110-120 cm).

Average Adult Size: about 40" (100 cm).

Maximum Adult Weight: about 20 lbs (9.1 kg)

Average Adult Weight: about 12 lbs (5.5 kg)

Size at birth: about 10-13 inches (25 - 33 cm)

Size at Sexually Maturity: about 31-35 inches (79-89cm)

Age at Sexually Maturity: roughly 2 to 3 years (28-32 months)

Longevity of species: approx. 10 t0 12 years.

Geographical Distribution: found in the western north Atlantic from New Brunswick, Canada (although rarer as you travel north of Delaware) to the Bahamas & the Florida Keys, and also along the entire gulf coast of the U.S. & Mexico.

Habitat: A very abundant small coastal warm-temperate to tropical shark - found from surf zone to a depth of about 27 meters (90 ft). Also known to inhabit harbors, bays, sounds & estuaries (both marine & brackish). Sharpies are known to easily tolerate the reduced salinities of estuaries and river mouths (down to 1.012 SG).

Diet: mostly small bony fish - like jacks, croakers, wrasses, silversides, menhaden, & snake eels. Also feeds on shrimp, crabs, mollusks (i.e. clams, squid, or octopus), and segmented worms.

Activity level: a very swift moving, and highly active species of small shark.

Personality: They are voracious feeders, and also known to temperamental. But they are basically harmless to humans.

Preferred Water Temperature: 75-84 F (24-29 C), although they can tolerate a much wider range of water temperatures - from 68-90 F (20-32 C).

http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswi...sharpnose3.jpg