Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southern California Reefers (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How to remove an anemone from a rock? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1985335)

jdbox 03/02/2011 10:53 PM

How to remove an anemone from a rock?

I have a large (about 7-8 in when fully open) RBTA that has gotten too big for my tank and has started to sting my other corals. I am having problems removing it from my tank.

It is stuck to the side of a very large base rock that is not very accessible. I removed several layers of top rock and was able to get to the foot of the anemone. I tried icing the foot with ice cubes and then a cold pack to loosen it but had no luck after several attempts. I also tried to carefully pry the foot off with a plastic credit card but quickly discovered that the anemone was stuck on too strong and I didn't want to damage it by prying.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it off the rock without damaging it? The base rock that it is stuck on is too large to easily remove from the tank.

Thanks for your help!

firereef 03/02/2011 11:08 PM

If those methods didn't work, your best bet is to take the Rick out and chisel it off.

psykokid 03/03/2011 01:27 AM

point a powerhead at its foot.

Sisterlimonpot 03/03/2011 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psykokid (Post 18429672)
point a powerhead at its foot.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. aggravate the anemone to the point he's going to start looking for a better place to settle. when he does you have a better chance at getting to the foot. I usually use an old credit card to pry the foot off of rock.

kichimark 03/03/2011 02:39 AM

+3 on aiming a powerhead at it. It will become unhappy and move.

pciscott 03/03/2011 03:02 AM

I had one that had his foot so burried in a rock that had half my corals on I tried scraping him off with a credit card and tore part of his foot off. The anemone healed and on top of that the very small piece of foot grew a new anemone that is about to give me the same headache again. What I am saying is pretty hard to hurt your nem that bad. Good luck.

bullitr 03/03/2011 03:18 AM

I just remove the 2 RBTA from large rock with very large acropora colony.
Using my fingernail slowly detaching the foot from the rock since it stinging my large acropora colony I can't use powerhead to blow it because it will hurt my acro.
After having a couple of incident my rainbow decided to do a walkabout and get chop my the Tunze and survive RBTA are pretty tough:)
It just stink :(

Ketchup 03/03/2011 03:20 AM

what some people use is to disturb the base with something blunt for a while. It will get smaller and close up and hopefully dislodge.

slief 03/03/2011 08:15 AM

Take a cube of ice and rub it around the base of the anemone. It should begin to release immediately so you can easily pull it right off.

BeanMachine 03/03/2011 11:11 AM

what about a saw? pull the rock and cut a chunk off with the nem attached.

KillerReef 03/03/2011 03:17 PM

i used a turkey baster and relentlessly blew at its foot til it was loose enough to pry off. Worked for both of mine...

aleonn 03/03/2011 04:03 PM

^ What can't a turkey baster do! :). But seriously, didn't your hands get tired? Whenever I dust my LRs with the turkey baster, it's like a work out LOL.

KillerReef 03/03/2011 04:08 PM

It really didn't take that long. Using the TB instead of a PH gave me the ability to use the other hand to work the foot off the rock. 5 minutes tops and no damage to the foot....

jdbox 03/03/2011 05:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll try the powerhead method next.

slief - I tried the ice and no luck

firereef and Cody - the rock is pretty large and would be a pain to remove - this would be a last resort but something I may have to resort to.

killerReef - this sounds like a lot of work - LOL - but I'll keep it in mind if the power heads don't work.

Thanks to all for your comments.

MammothReefer 03/03/2011 05:59 PM

I use my finger nail to gently pull out a lip from the foot and the rock, once you do that you can carefully peel try to get your finger all the way between the 2 and work from the inside out.

Peachpitt 08/09/2015 12:42 PM

Just used a TB to remove a bta off a rock, worked BEAUTIFULY!!!!!:spin1:

jaggerbub 08/16/2015 10:32 AM

Turkey baster works all the time

laverda 08/16/2015 11:21 AM

I have removed many anemones over the years and tried all the methods mentioned. Never had any luck with any, but using a thin plastic scraper. I now have several small plastic tools I have made for the purpose. But it st just about impossible to do so in the tank. Most of my anemones like to have their foot in a hole in the rock making it all but impossible to remove them. In those cases I have get the anemone to retractn then put rocks around it so it would have to move to get to the light. It can take more rock then you thinkvas the can get pretty elongated. Then you just remove the rock the moved to.

westminsterfrag 08/16/2015 07:18 PM

A screen driver at the base works. The rock usually can't just scrape off since its semi sift. Once you get part of the base to peel up. You can start keeping all of it. The base itself is usually a little more leather like so if you can get some of it lifted off you can pull it all off. I've done this many times but with the rock out of water. Since its harder to work with it in the tank. If you can get the rock out you can't also turn it upside down to where the nem is barely touching water. Usually itkk release itself to get back into water.