Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals & Builds (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=679)
-   -   WYA123's 60 Gallon Tank (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2666958)

WYA123 02/07/2018 05:13 AM

WYA123's 60 Gallon Tank

Hi guys:wavehand:,
It's been long since I last posted here as I have been busy with high school and stuff, but now I am back and ready to start a new tank :celeb2:. Like what the title says, I will be getting a new 60-gallon tank. The tank will be 36" long, 24" wide and 16" tall. I wished I could get a larger tank, but due to space constraints, that is the largest I can fit in my house:(.
The tank will be a macroalgae tank, with 6 types of caulerpa. The 6 types will be caulerpa profilera, caulerpa taxifolia, caulerpa racemosa, caulerpa lentillifera, caulerpa brachypus, caulerpa peltata and caulerpa serrulata. I am aware that these macros can go asexual, but I am willing to take the risk. I would like to know what fertilizers can I and should I use for my macros and how do i maintain a high nutrient system?

Now for the filtration. I will have a 25-gallon refugium and a Fluval 406. For the canister filter, I will be using the coarse foam while all the media baskets will be filled with live rock to act as a dark refugium for benthic creatures like sponges, duster worms, copepods, and amphipods. The refugium will be a 24" long, 12" wide and 20" tall tank. It will have a 5" deep sand bed with live rock on top and will be filled with chaeto and ulva. The motive is to both filter and grow zooplanktons like copepods and amphipods. The intake of the canister filter will be in the main tank, the output will be in the refugium, where water will overflow back into the main tank via the holes that I will be drilling. Does all this sound good and possible?

Next, the aquascape. So I have this idea for the 3D background which might or might not work. So for the 2 side walls, egg crate will be placed in the tank 5 cm in front of the side wall. The gap will be filled with crushed live rock and caulerpa brachypus will be grown on it, making it kinda like a java moss wall in freshwater tanks. For the back wall, the lower half the egg crate will be placed 15cm in front of the back wall while the upper half of the egg crate will be 5 cm in front of the back wall, and will be connected in the middle by horizontal egg crate, creating a step. Live rock and crushed live rock will be filled in the gap and caulerpa will be grown on the step. These form kinda like a pod condo for pods to seek refuge and breed in. There will be a 4" sand bed and there will be two live rock mounds in the middle. Will the 3D background idea work without any risks? Any improvements or feedback?

The initial clean up crew will be 6 nassarius snails, 6 cerith snails, 6 trochus snails, 2 scarlet legged hermit crabs, 2 cleaner shrimp and a serpent star. For deco, there will be a couple of feather duster worms and a blue linckia starfish. Can I also add a few flame scallops? Will my tank be able to support them?

Finally, for the fish. You may have noticed I am focusing a lot on cultivating pods and giving them places to breed in. Yup, this tank is focused on dragonets. I am hoping I can keep 4 pairs of dragonets. They will be the only fishes in the tank. I will be dosing phyto feast and marine snow for the pods daily as well. Is it possible and will my tank be able to support them? If cannot at most how many can I keep?

Thank you so much for reading and I look forward to your feedback. :)

JUNBUG361 02/07/2018 11:10 PM

Pictures?

WYA123 02/08/2018 05:17 AM

The tank has not even been bought yet. Just asking if my ideas and set up could work. Sorry for the confusion. But if you guys need diagram i might be able to draw it out for you(but not 3D i not that good haha)