Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   SCUBA/Snorkeling (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How's the Diving in Guam? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2638544)

Kengar 05/27/2017 11:18 AM

How's the Diving in Guam?

As per recent post, I'm considering a stopover on way home from Japan on next business trip to do some diving. As alternative to Palau, where I dove in '96 or '97, I'm also considering Guam, where I've never dived.

Question: How's the diving in Guam? Anyone dive both Guam and Palau and able to compare?

The diversity of the types of sites in Palau made it special, and that would be important this time around since it would be land-based. (Last time was on a liveaboard.) Does Guam have similar diversity of its sites? What about the quality/abundance of the coral/marine life in Guam?

Thanks.

ace_92101 05/27/2017 06:22 PM

You might want to PM Copps, who has dove there. R-balljunkie is also very familiar with the area. While I haven't dove Guam, I've heard it's fairly good. If you're looking to dive in Japan, I can offer first hand experience. If you're flying home on United, you might want to continue on United's Island Hopper route to Truk or one of the islands.

Kengar 05/27/2017 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace_92101 (Post 25098206)
If you're looking to dive in Japan, I can offer first hand experience. If you're flying home on United, you might want to continue on United's Island Hopper route to Truk or one of the islands.

Hey there, and thanks for the reply.

For either Palau or Guam, there doesn't seem to be the super-saver rewards travel available that would fit my schedule, and I don't have enough miles in the bank to pay the regular rewards rate. Sigh......

That said, I HAD considered diving in Okinawa previously. What can you tell me re diving in Japan, should I just stay there a little longer?

Thanks!

Ken

ace_92101 05/27/2017 06:48 PM

Okinawa has some terrific diving. I've dove Miyako and Ishigaki. Both had great coral, fish and diversity of sites. Miyako also has some great beaches. Both have non stop air service from Tokyo. You might want to also look at Kerama.

Kengar 05/27/2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace_92101 (Post 25098228)
Both have non stop air service from Tokyo. You might want to also look at Kerama.

How about from Osaka? That is where I'll be.

Thanks much!

Ken

ace_92101 05/27/2017 07:30 PM

Ken, both have nonstop service from Osaka. If you can't get away, you might want to look at Shikoku, which isn't too far. But if you have the time, go to Okinawa!

psidriven 05/29/2017 08:22 PM

When are you going to Osaka? I'm headed there mid July. Please share any recommendations for places to see or eat.

Okinawa is a great place to visit and the aquarium is definitely worth seeing. There is a cafe with tables right next to the whale shark display. Sipping a coffee with a whale shark gliding by a few feet away is a very cool experience.

Kengar 05/29/2017 08:40 PM

I will be there from July 29 to August 5.

Places to eat? Wherever my client takes me! :)

They do have an aquarium in Osaka, too, with whale sharks and mantas. It's worth visiting.

I would try to go to Kyoto if you are able to; it's beautiful, though EXTREMELY hot.

Re diving, unfortunately, I couldn't get any flights with frequent flier miles. Soooo, given the expense of airfare, I had to limit the stay. No diving this time....... :(

psidriven 05/30/2017 04:05 AM

ouch, sorry to hear you won't get any dives in this time. i'm actually headed to kyoto as well to see the gion festival mid july. heard it's one of the top 3 festivals in japan.

ace_92101 05/30/2017 09:27 PM

Kansai is a great area. I still hope it's a great trip.

DivingTheWorld 05/31/2017 10:35 AM

I've dove both Guam and Palau. After diving around the world, Palau is still my favorite. We've been there 3 times now and even got engaged there. Fiji was "almost" as good, but Palau still offers more diversity.

Guam...is not Palau. Don't get me wrong, I like Guam, people are friendly and the diving is good. It's kind of like Hawaii with less fish. We dove around the island and one of the sites had the best vis I've ever had on a dive site. We were floating on the surface and could see the bottom crystal clear 120' below.

If you'll be in Guam anyways, go diving, but don't consider it an alternative to Palau. If you do dive Guam, look up the Micronesian Divers Association. As I recall, you can join and get big discounts on diving that more than cover the cost of membership.

Kengar 06/05/2017 10:10 AM

Thanks, DTW. Exactly what I was looking for.

I completely agree re the diversity of sites in Palau. It was my first Pacific trip, and I still remember it fondly.

Have you dove Komodo? That was a good one, too. It was my last big dive trip over 12 years ago already. Funny how kids can limit things....... but my girls turn 9 next year and can't wait to get them junior certified!

DivingTheWorld 06/07/2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kengar (Post 25107286)
Have you dove Komodo? That was a good one, too. It was my last big dive trip over 12 years ago already. Funny how kids can limit things....... but my girls turn 9 next year and can't wait to get them junior certified!

Never been to Komodo, no. I hear you with the kids. Ours are 5 & 7 and will be snorkeling on an upcoming trip for the first time. I can't wait until they are diving with us. My in-laws have been great watching the kids while we take side trips though, so kids haven't really impacted our diving adventures. But I'd rather have them with us!