Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sealing and Paint for Stand (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2662672)

Str8linespeed 12/28/2017 05:45 PM

Sealing and Paint for Stand

Im almost done building my wood stand and looking on how to seal the inside and outside.

Is there any reason to silicone the seams where the bottom meets the sides? What paint do you use on the inside??

As for the outside I want it black and was considering black stain, in place of paint. I think it will give it a different sort of look, but unsure and also do you have to seal the stain? Thanks for your help.

tkeracer619 12/28/2017 07:45 PM

You can silicone the inside basin after painting.

If you want to see the woodgrain a stain would be a good way to go. Depending on the gloss you are after you can clear over the stain with polyurethane. Stain itself won't completely protect against water.

Str8linespeed 12/28/2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkeracer619 (Post 25315513)
You can silicone the inside basin after painting.

If you want to see the woodgrain a stain would be a good way to go. Depending on the gloss you are after you can clear over the stain with polyurethane. Stain itself won't completely protect against water.

I does have a nice wood grain and I would like to see that so I think staining and then poly is the way to go.

Is there a certain paint I should use on the inside of the stand, that is water proof and moisture resistant?

tkeracer619 12/28/2017 08:15 PM

A high quality latex (100% acrylic) semi gloss is a good way to go. I like behr ultra.

Str8linespeed 12/29/2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkeracer619 (Post 25315548)
A high quality latex (100% acrylic) semi gloss is a good way to go. I like behr ultra.

Thanks!

outy 12/31/2017 12:31 PM

Shellac sealer is a great sealer before using poly. Poly is great after staining. use many coats and lightly sand after each one is completely dry, you can make it like a mirror. Black is tough because you will always see every mistake or lack of work put into the project.

If one uses color I have used exterior roll on paint to match the interior of the house with great success.

I used white rattle can epoxy after sealer for the inside of he canopy and it holds up better then water based ext paint.

outy 12/31/2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Str8linespeed (Post 25315517)

Is there a certain paint I should use on the inside of the stand, that is water proof and moisture resistant?

Epoxy over sealer.

Str8linespeed 01/01/2018 05:52 PM

Great, thank you for the help.