Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Salinity probe in a vertical 150 gallon mixing tank (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2662886)

muttley000 12/30/2017 02:47 PM

Salinity probe in a vertical 150 gallon mixing tank

Hoping someone has an idea I can steal! I want to put my apex salinity probe in my salt mixing tank near the bottom, so no matter the level it is submerged. Easy enough I thought, I can just use a strain relief through the tank like a ph probe in a calcium reactor. Then I got to thinking about having to calibrate it and what a PITA that would be if it were near the bottom and the tank was full. So, before I put a bulkhead in the top of my tank and put a PVC section down with a strain relief at the end to hold the probe (apex probe so I need to keep the wire end of it dry) which will not be easy to deal with because the ceiling in the basement is only about a foot above the top of the tank so I can't pull 4 feet of pipe strait out, I'm seeing what ideas the community may have.
Thanks in advance!
Matt

neilp2006 12/30/2017 05:53 PM

Salinity probe in a vertical 150 gallon mixing tank

Uniseal through side at bottom, with 3/4 pvc pipe (couple inches) and a valve to a 90 pointing up. Put a cap in the 90 with a small uniseal that the probe will fit in (might need to work on this bit). Kinda like the small T fittings your rodi tds sensor fits in.

Edit- thinking about it some more, you’ll probably bust the probe trying to get it in and out of the uniseal. Should have thought it through some more before I made a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muttley000 12/31/2017 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilp2006 (Post 25317304)
Uniseal through side at bottom, with 3/4 pvc pipe (couple inches) and a valve to a 90 pointing up. Put a cap in the 90 with a small uniseal that the probe will fit in (might need to work on this bit). Kinda like the small T fittings your rodi tds sensor fits in.

Edit- thinking about it some more, you’ll probably bust the probe trying to get it in and out of the uniseal. Should have thought it through some more before I made a suggestion.

Actually you may be on to something putting it into a T. I could plumb the T in and out the strain relief fitting on the third hole. I'll digest that and see if I can fit it where I won't break something. Thank you for the suggestion.

neilp2006 12/31/2017 08:26 AM

What is the ‘strain relief fitting’ you refer too? I might find it useful for my own system

Thanks

Member No. 1 12/31/2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilp2006 (Post 25317615)
What is the ‘strain relief fitting’ you refer too? I might find it useful for my own system

Thanks

Water tight probe holder. Most commonly used on the top of a calcium reactor to hold the probe to monitor the pH in the reactor.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/probe-holder.html
This type threads in, you can search for other styles that come with a nut, or have NPT threads ( tapered pipe threads).

neilp2006 12/31/2017 09:59 AM

PERFECT!!!!!

ca1ore 01/01/2018 09:55 AM

Can the probe be oriented horizontally? Not sure, but if so you could just stick it through the probe holder in the side. The other option would be to plumb an external circulating mixing pump and have the probe in the pump circuit.

muttley000 01/01/2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca1ore (Post 25318617)
Can the probe be oriented horizontally? Not sure, but if so you could just stick it through the probe holder in the side. The other option would be to plumb an external circulating mixing pump and have the probe in the pump circuit.

I do have an external mixing pump and am looking at adding a tee between the true Union ball valves that isolate the pump and inserting it there.

BigDave 01/03/2018 03:56 PM

Mount the probe onto a piece of foam so that it floats on the top of the water column. When you need to calibrate, just pull it up out the top of the tank.

FullBoreReefer 01/06/2018 09:10 AM

Don't strictly rely on the correct readings. Use the probe reading to get you close, but you still gotta check with your refractometer. Just my opinion.

slief 01/07/2018 11:57 AM

What are you going to do about the temp probe? If your going to monitor the salinity using a the Apex, you will need a temp probe in there for proper temp compensation if you want reasonable accuracy.

muttley000 01/21/2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slief (Post 25324445)
What are you going to do about the temp probe? If your going to monitor the salinity using a the Apex, you will need a temp probe in there for proper temp compensation if you want reasonable accuracy.

Hi Scott! Temp probe is in through a bulkhead in the top of the tank, I tie wrapped it to the PVC that directs flow when mixing so it doesn't get banged up. I added a T at the output of the tank and placed the probe in a strain releif fitting at the T. No leaks and worked out well.

Thanks for the help everyone!