Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals & Builds (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=679)
-   -   Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL Build (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2641586)

reefer625xxl 06/21/2017 07:19 AM

Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL Build

2 Attachment(s)
I'm upgrading my old 500lt reef tank after the washing machine leaked and the tank had to be removed to replace the flooring throughout the whole downstairs. A bonus in a way as the wife said that old tank can't go back lol it is about 10 years old and looking a bit tired.

She liked the look of the red sea reefer so I got the approval on the wife acceptance factor :)

The new Reefer 625 XXL has just arrived I have already made a start on the saltwater mixing and rodi auto top off so no more lugging buckets of water around.

reefer625xxl 06/21/2017 11:28 AM

Tank arrived today... started unpacking to build the stand only to find parts needed for the stand are under the display tank on the pallet 🤔 need to wait now for more people as the tank weights a ton lol. On another note I was expecting the cabinet to be white inside as show on the red sea website of the sump, its actually black? I know they did the same on the 525xl.

reefer625xxl 06/25/2017 12:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some photos of the build so far, the inside of the cabinet was black so I've vinyl wrapped it white. I think it looks much better. Next is to wrap the sump the new sumps now have the foam padding stuck to the bottom so can't wrap the bottom as I planned to so its just the two sides and the back to do.

waiting on epoxy to arrive before I can start aquascaping I also need to decide on what media reactors to use I really like the Royal Exclusiv media reactors once I get my existing Bubble king 200 double cone skimmer in the sump I can work out what size I can fit.

reefer625xxl 06/28/2017 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick update cabinet and sump wrapped white and I've started the plumbing only problem the return pipe was cracked waiting for a reply from Red Sea.

Red Sea replied fast and are sending a replacement pipe now that great customer service thank you Kevin Davies for sorting this very minor issue so fast.

StevenThomason 07/02/2017 04:12 PM

Any videos or updates? What skimmer and other equipment will you be using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefer625xxl 07/03/2017 05:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Waiting on lots of bits to turn up a few plumbing bits have arrived today so can do a bit more plumbing waiting on a Royal Exclusiv media filter before I can do the manifold updated photo not much has changed skimmer added thats about it.

equipment list:

Skimmer - Royal Exclusiv 200 Bubbleking
Reactors - Royal Exclusiv 3.5lt media filter
Return Pump - Vertex V6
Flow - 2 x Ecotech MP60's on back wall dialled back not to blow all the sand away from front glass
Lights - 3 x Ecotech XR30 gen 4 pro's on RMS mounts
ATO - Tunze until apex release the ATK in the UK
Controller - Apex new model waiting for them to release EB832 for the UK

Live rock from my old tank has been cleaned (bleached then Vinegar soaked for about 2 week in each then thoroughly rinsed and baked in the sun waiting for epoxy putty to arrive before i can start aquascaping sand is CaribSea seaflor special grade

StevenThomason 07/03/2017 07:37 AM

Thanks for the update! We will have similar builds. I currently have the RMS track, but am debating on going with just the 3 arms like you. Can you measure the inside sections of the sump for me? (Usable space of each section) Also how thick is the glass all around? I heard it was only 3/4 on the front.

uvijaya 07/03/2017 10:52 AM

Super! looking very nice already, keep posting and good luck.

StevenThomason 07/05/2017 07:52 PM

Update?

reefer625xxl 07/06/2017 12:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just a little update and after some opinions on aquascape still waiting on bits to be delivered epo putty is on back order so it's now holding up bonding the rock work together but this is what I've come up with. It has lots of space for mounting corals and lots of places for fish to hide let me know what you guys think.

StevenThomason 07/06/2017 10:04 PM

Nice. I'm looking forward to see more progress!

StevenThomason 07/10/2017 04:04 PM

Update?

reefer625xxl 07/11/2017 03:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Plumbing all finished, ato and water change plumbed from large containers to the sump water change will be a lot easier, no more lunging water containers through the lounge and 200 litres of fresh rodi for top off which should last around 4 weeks.

Also got the aquascape done used Aquaforest stonefix to bond the rocks very impressed how strong the bond is.

Carribsea seaflor special grade sand is in and the big fill starts tonight...

StevenThomason 07/12/2017 10:41 AM

Looks good! Is the glass 3/4 all around or just the front?

Byronyk 07/12/2017 10:51 AM

Out of curiosity, where did you buy the 625xxl from? I've looked at some of the common websites and none are in stock.

notclear 07/12/2017 11:41 AM

Thinking of mounting two gyre pumps on the two sides of the overflow box. Is there enough space inside the overflow to mount the magnets?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

reefer625xxl 07/12/2017 01:26 PM

Steven Thomason - the glass is 3/4 front and back thinner on the sides

Byronyk - I pre ordered the tank in march or april and i was waiting for the release as I was going for the 525xl but as soon as i heard they where releasing the larger tanks i had to wait. I did want the 750xxl but it was just too tight of a fit doh...

Notclear - Im not sure of the magnet size on the gyre theres not a lot of room in the overflow so I would say no

reefer625xxl 07/12/2017 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After 9 hours of rodi production the tank is about 1/2 full. Sand has turned the water quite cloudy even after washing it for ages will soon clear though

Byronyk 07/13/2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefer625xxl (Post 25146564)
After 9 hours of rodi production the tank is about 1/2 full. Sand has turned the water quite cloudy even after washing it for ages will soon clear though

Looking good! Thanks for the answering my question. I wonder when the tank will be readily available for non-preorder customers.

Byronyk 07/13/2017 03:03 PM

How are you planning on plumbing your reactors? From what I can tell, your main pump line (The back) feeds from your pump, hits a T where some is fed to your main display while the rest continues along the back of your tank.

I presume that back line is for your future reactors -- I'm new to reefing, so excuse the question but is this a solid method in plumbing? I saw another design -- https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2043/3...957f8fb7_z.jpg -- where you can see the pump leads over the reactors to the main display.

Thanks!

reefer625xxl 07/14/2017 01:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Byronyk - The grey pipe is in a cupboard behind the tank with my salt water mixing and fresh rodi containers. I'm going to run one reactor a Royal Exclusiv 3.5lt media filter which will connect to the manifold in the sump using silicon hose.

The BIG fill is over Total time to fill main display and sump 18hrs using my 300gpd rodi unit red sea coral pro salt added and upto temperature time to start the cycle... Going to add 6 drops every day of Aquaforest Bio S for 2 weeks to seed the tank.

reefer625xxl 07/20/2017 11:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Tanks cycling 6 days in now still adding Aquaforest Bio S every day.

Just got my Ecotech Radion XR30 Pro gen4's setup very impressed just can't get one of them out of natural mode? hope ITC Aquatics can help me on that.

ATO is working perfect my homemade anti siphon has been great so far hope that continues...

dimasv 07/20/2017 03:57 PM

Love it following

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

reefer625xxl 07/21/2017 07:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
7 Days into the tank cycle

Dosing 6 drops of Aquaforest Bio S a day and a pinch of flake food.

Test results as of today we are starting to get there now. about another week and I can start adding clean up crew.

GQuinn 07/21/2017 10:02 AM

Are you happy with the flow on the Vertex V6?