Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Upstate Reef Society (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Photobucket user warning (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643015)

Gary Majchrzak 07/03/2017 09:24 AM

Photobucket user warning

No more third party hosting until you pay a ransom.
(I call it a ransom because the amount is so ridiculous I thought it was a scam!)
Internet bulletin boards will not show pix hosted by photobucket without payment.
Photobucket sucks.

Time to move online images to another hosting site...or simply post pix to your fb wall to share with friends ;)

Gary Majchrzak 07/03/2017 09:29 AM

Details in this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ht=photobucket

Gary Majchrzak 07/03/2017 09:31 AM

Photobucket User Warning
Hi All,

Photobucket have changed their terms of service and you now require a $399.99 USD/yr subscription (P500 account) to allow 3rd party sharing of photos (using the IMG code). If they haven't already THEY WILL replace all your shared images with a Photobucket message advising you need to upgrade to a P500 account (The actual image stored on your account will be safe).
As my photo links are currently broken and I will be removing all photos and closing my Photobucket account and finding another host. I would recommend others do the same

Quote:
Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).
Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:
o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting

der_wille_zur_macht 07/03/2017 09:36 AM

Time to finally move to imgur, I guess.

This is really unfortunate. There are probably millions of threads on various internet forums that are now going to be useless.

Gary Majchrzak 07/03/2017 09:41 AM

Yeah

Pb can kma

Gary Majchrzak 07/03/2017 10:07 AM

the option for myself is simple

Start an album on my fb wall for aquarium related stuff- including the new build.

aj2494 07/03/2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht (Post 25136538)
Time to finally move to imgur, I guess.

This is really unfortunate. There are probably millions of threads on various internet forums that are now going to be useless.

Probably trillions. My other major hobby is cars, and I use write-ups on forums all the time to figure out how to fix something. And a write-up post is basically useless without pictures. This is gonna be a big problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Willistein 07/19/2017 11:13 AM

Sounds like they're trying to go out of business...

mr.maroonsalty 07/21/2017 12:06 PM

I read that and thought about your threads. For now, Tapatalk appears to be working?

Capt_Cully 07/21/2017 02:05 PM

What options are there out here for barely literate hacks like myself?

10 years worth of photos. Poof.

jaybfresh 07/23/2017 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt_Cully (Post 25155922)
What options are there out here for barely literate hacks like myself?

10 years worth of photos. Poof.

imgur.com is simpler and usually quicker to upload

Gary Majchrzak 07/23/2017 01:04 PM

hey cully-

my second post in this thread has a link where many options are offered

DiscusHeckel 07/23/2017 04:43 PM

I have a Plus 20 account with Photobucket. According to their ransom demand I should not be eligible for 3rd part hosting either, but my PB images seem OK. May be all yotu need is to open Plus 20 account instead of Plus 500, which is ridiculous, and pay $3 per month like I do.

I am rattled by all this. I will be migrating all my images to another site. The problem is that I have been using two different forums. It will be a nightmare to update all image links on both forums.

EDIT: I have just found the updated terms and conditions and realised why I am still getting 3rd party hosting rights despite not being on Plus 500. Here it is: (http://photobucket.com/terms). I am on borrowed time by the looks of it until December 31st 2018.

DivingTheWorld 07/25/2017 10:32 AM

Yep, I'm in the same boat with a plus 20 account.

So what's everyone switching to?

DiscusHeckel 07/25/2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivingTheWorld (Post 25159738)
Yep, I'm in the same boat with a plus 20 account.

So what's everyone switching to?

I have looked at Imgur and FlickR and decided to use FlickR because of its flexibility in sharing image sizes once a full size image is uploaded to Yahoo server. I failed to see this feature in Imgur.

DivingTheWorld 07/25/2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel (Post 25159908)
I have looked at Imgur and FlickR and decided to use FlickR because of its flexibility in sharing image sizes once a full size image is uploaded to Yahoo server. I failed to see this feature in Imgur.

Yeah, I tried Imgur and it was easy to use. I'm just a little worried that they may cease hosting as well. I'm looking for the best solution for long term without spending a bunch of money. I'll check out FlickR.

DivingTheWorld 07/27/2017 03:35 PM

I just got a super sweet offer from Photobucket. I can be part of a special Beta group of Plus 500 monthly users. It's only $60 per month or $720 per year. A bargain! I get the first crack at it!

http://i.imgur.com/ssECUiT.png

DiscusHeckel 07/27/2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivingTheWorld (Post 25162266)
I just got a super sweet offer from Photobucket. I can be part of a special Beta group of Plus 500 monthly users. It's only $60 per month or $720 per year. A bargain! I get the first crack at it!

http://i.imgur.com/ssECUiT.png

I have received the same offer tonight. Are you sure about $720-per year deal being a sweet offer? :eek2:

It should not be more than $399 per annum.

DivingTheWorld 07/27/2017 08:07 PM

Just being a bit sarcastic. Anything more than $100/year is highway robbery in my opinion.

Neoz 07/28/2017 04:04 PM

^^ Thats true. You can host your own pictures with a cheap plan from Bluehost starting around $5 a month.

Capt_Cully 08/01/2017 05:19 PM

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a pic from Imgur to appear as a photo in an online forum.

Photobucket really napalmed online forum threads. Can't go back and look at my old systems, builds. Major hose job.

mr.maroonsalty 08/01/2017 06:42 PM

Im trying to figure out if i can use google account to link. It looks like it can, but tt is maybe getting in the way???

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

Gary Majchrzak 08/02/2017 03:29 PM

It was the best of times ...it was the worst of times

The book of faces will end up killing a LOT of forum discussions/photos on ALL subjects: small engine repair, marriage repair, dating, sewing, politics, reefkeeping etc. etc. etc.

The extra step of loading a pic onto an online server is not worth my time and effort if I can simply click the pic to fb.

I'm sorry. There was a day when I thought I'd never give up my beloved RC... but, to quote one of my Dad's favorite sayings: KEEP MOVING OR THEY'LL TOSS A SLIPCOVER OVER YOU.

:)

cardiffgiant 08/03/2017 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak (Post 25167849)
The book of faces will end up killing a LOT of forum discussions/photos on ALL subjects: small engine repair, marriage repair, dating, sewing, politics, reefkeeping etc. etc. etc.

The extra step of loading a pic onto an online server is not worth my time and effort if I can simply click the pic to fb.

I'm sorry. There was a day when I thought I'd never give up my beloved RC... but, to quote one of my Dad's favorite sayings: KEEP MOVING OR THEY'LL TOSS A SLIPCOVER OVER YOU.

:)

I agree. What's unfortunate, is that the much greater convenience comes with a huge trade-off in quality and credibility. In my experience anyway.

Gary Majchrzak 08/03/2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardiffgiant (Post 25168352)
I agree. What's unfortunate, is that the much greater convenience comes with a huge trade-off in quality and credibility. In my experience anyway.

true... unless you know the credibility of a person you should be skeptical.
But that goes for anyone anywhere.