Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mantis Shrimp (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Deli food for stomatopods (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2684196)

Calappidae 09/24/2018 03:45 PM

Deli food for stomatopods

I wanted to start a discussion regarding using deli seafood as substitutions for live prey and pet-brand frozen foods.

I have in the past fed my stomatopods frozen cooked baby bay clams and they loved them, they had no specific ingredients added so it was just natural pure clams, so I tried them and they became an excellent local alternative for when the pet stores are out of reach (its an hour trip to the closest LFS and 20 minutes to the closest petco. Roads freezing and flooding is a big deal sometimes.)

Well... the clams were nice and all but apparently my stomatopod wasn't a regular enough customer to keep them from being discontinued at the store :angryfire:

So this is where I'm questioning if fresh deli seafood is an option, 1) is it an option? 2) should it be served to the shrimp raw or cooked?)

Jlentz 09/24/2018 06:48 PM

It’s amusing when you ask for just 1 clam/shrimp/oyster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daddi0 09/24/2018 07:50 PM

We get a large bag of frozen raw shrimp (prawns) at Safeway for 9 bucks. I keep them in the freezer and cut/defrost chunks as needed.
Cheers! Mark

Hadla 09/24/2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jlentz (Post 25500727)
It’s amusing when you ask for just 1 clam/shrimp/oyster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol I ask for just a few so it’ll actually weigh something!

Crooked Reef 09/25/2018 04:31 AM

1) yes, it is an option. Try to verify that the seafood isn’t treated with any preservatives.

2) raw is best. I cut up a shrimp, clam or scallop into correct portion sizes and place it in a ziplock baggie. Add a little ro/di to the baggie and let all the air out then lay it flat in the freezer and disperse the food bits evenly into the bag. Then I just break off ansection during feeding time and thaw in a bit of tank water. I have been doing this for a long time for my lion and mantis. Since doing this I haven’t had any issues with freezer burnt or dried out food.

Calappidae 09/25/2018 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crooked Reef (Post 25500882)
1) yes, it is an option. Try to verify that the seafood isn’t treated with any preservatives.

2) raw is best. I cut up a shrimp, clam or scallop into correct portion sizes and place it in a ziplock baggie. Add a little ro/di to the baggie and let all the air out then lay it flat in the freezer and disperse the food bits evenly into the bag. Then I just break off ansection during feeding time and thaw in a bit of tank water. I have been doing this for a long time for my lion and mantis. Since doing this I haven’t had any issues with freezer burnt or dried out food.

I'm going to try this! Real informative.

Glad to know that there is a local easier homemade method to feeding our aquatics.