Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Crazy Evaporation (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485967)

mikesbales 10/07/2008 10:57 AM

Crazy Evaporation

in my 94g system i typically lose about 3/4g per day in evaporation, but the past couple days i've been losing almost double that. I'll wake up to my water having dropped an inch in my sump!!! (it usually drops less than 1cm) I HAVE CHECKED FOR LEAKS!!! NO LEAKS ANYWHERE!!! and the weather has been consistant. Any ideas??

Also, i know this doesnt fall under water chemistry, but i figured it was kinda close. Thanks

Bonebrake 10/07/2008 11:00 AM

Outside of a serious leak or reef gnomes filling up their hats at night and emptying it out in their caves, the only other possibility is your home is drier and more is going into the ambient air.

Do you have an automatic top-off?

hypernesia 10/07/2008 11:02 AM

humidity levels in your house would be the culprit in my opinion. If your air is drier as of late you will evaporate more.

mikesbales 10/07/2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13500723#post13500723 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bonebrake
Outside of a serious leak or reef gnomes filling up their hats at night and emptying it out in their caves, the only other possibility is your home is drier and more is going into the ambient air.

Do you have an automatic top-off?

No, unfortunatly no one around here (lowes and H.D.) sells float switches and I havent sucked it up and just bought one online yet.

mikesbales 10/07/2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13500725#post13500725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hypernesia
humidity levels in your house would be the culprit in my opinion. If your air is drier as of late you will evaporate more.
I do run a dehumidifier in my basement where the tank is, but I have always run it and it keeps my basement at a constant 10% humidity.

hypernesia 10/07/2008 11:22 AM

wow 10% humidity that is really dry. Sparks a flying. Do you measure the humidity by what the dehumidifier says? As those things work they pull more and more water from the air throughout the entire house. The drier the air gets in a larger area the more your tank will evap. Its all about water vapor pressures and equillibrium.
You can always bring in drier air from outside when you open and close windows and doors

AZDesertRat 10/07/2008 11:24 AM

I'll bet its a drop in relative humidity. 3/4 gal a day is not much for a 94 gal system, on my 100G with a 30G sump its normally 2 gal a day and can be 3 a day at times. Relative humidity makes a big difference dehumidifier or not.

Randy Holmes-Farley 10/07/2008 03:54 PM

I agree that is not much. Evaporation varies greatly with season and climate, but 1-4% daily is not unusual. :)