Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Yellow Tang & Blue Hippo Tang together? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2006980)

JW3571 04/15/2011 10:33 AM

Yellow Tang & Blue Hippo Tang together?

Is there any problem keeping these two tangs together? The tank is a 90g with 30g sump

fanning 04/15/2011 10:38 AM

no problems keeping those two fish together...but the hippo will eventually out grow your 90g tank

ccsuzy 04/15/2011 10:38 AM

I have a 210 with a yellow tang, blue hippo tang, and a sailfin tang. They get along fine.

Phishguy 04/15/2011 10:39 AM

I've seen them together several times without issue. Rule of thumb is different shapes/colors your usually ok. Fore warning though, you will catch some flack here for 2 Tangs in a 90g.

jenn33426 04/15/2011 11:27 AM

I have a blue hippo and yellow tang , and a lieutenant tang all together and they all get along.

mess7777 04/16/2011 09:16 AM

So long as they are different looking tangs, they should get along according to conventional wisdom. A lot of opinions state to add them at the same time. Do these two things and there is a good chance it will work out fine. Of course, nothing is absolute so there's always a chance to end up with an ornery fish that won't play nice with others.

With regards to the hippo outgrowing the tank, I guess that's a good excuse to upgrade in a few years, even though many will tell you to not buy the hippo until you actually have the big tank. ;)

Toddrtrex 04/16/2011 09:25 AM

In a 90, I wouldn't do it -- since that is too small for a "hippo". IMO, you should get fish for the tank you currently have, not the one that you plan on having.

cside 04/16/2011 09:35 AM

they will get along fine...... but in a larger tank.

Megatrev62 04/16/2011 10:37 AM

Most tanks have a yellow and a hippo as far as I'm concerned. Thousands of tanks that are not 200 gallons or more that's for sure. Education is key and some people just don't care IMO no matter what you say.Most LFS don't that's for certain.

b442adams 04/16/2011 10:54 AM

I have a hippo, a yellow belly hippo, a yellow, powder blue, and a sailfin in a 180. They all get along nicely.

frankpayne32 04/16/2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanning (Post 18647465)
no problems keeping those two fish together...but the hippo will eventually out grow your 90g tank

What he said.

125G Reefer 04/16/2011 01:22 PM

Read Bio.

adamstipo 04/16/2011 01:44 PM

I have yet another question edited~dc I'm pretty new here and am in the process of a 150 MR build. My stocking plan so far includes a Blonde Naso, PBT, and a yellow tang for sure. I would love to add a Sailfin somewhere down the road, but is not one I have to have, just if my tank can handle it. What do you all think?

betamed 04/16/2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamstipo (Post 18652191)
I have yet another question edited~dc I'm pretty new here and am in the process of a 150 MR build. My stocking plan so far includes a Blonde Naso, PBT, and a yellow tang for sure. I would love to add a Sailfin somewhere down the road, but is not one I have to have, just if my tank can handle it. What do you all think?

I'd skip the Naso. Maybe the sailfin too depending on the tank dimensions

shifty51008 04/16/2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

that naso will get to big for a 150 gal. tank the others should be fine.

adamstipo 04/16/2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betamed (Post 18652600)
I'd skip the Naso. Maybe the sailfin too depending on the tank dimensions

I know the Naso's get big but I didn't think that a Sailfin would be a problem at all, aside from crowding if I had a big Naso.
Quote:

Originally Posted by shifty51008 (Post 18652611)
that naso will get to big for a 150 gal. tank the others should be fine.

Hmmm, no Naso even if I were to leave out some of the others?? That hurt's that fish is one of the main reason's I got into the hobby, gotta love those streamers!

shifty51008 04/16/2011 04:54 PM

i know it is hard when you have a fav. fish then to find out it won't fit in your tank.

here is a good thread about size tanks for keeping tangs.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1946007

is your tank the 4' 150 gal?

fewskillz 04/16/2011 06:40 PM

Any 4' tank, even a 150, is pushing it with 2 or more tangs. Especially if you start talking the big tangs like nasos, vlamingiis, sailfins, and hippos. Those fish all get over 12" long, and in the sailfins case, 12" tall!

sbreefer 04/16/2011 07:28 PM

Guys, sailfins and nasos will not get that big if in a smaller system!!!! that is open ocean max size! I have all of the above in a 200 and all happy and none 12".....

adamstipo 04/16/2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shifty51008 (Post 18652783)
i know it is hard when you have a fav. fish then to find out it won't fit in your tank.

here is a good thread about size tanks for keeping tangs.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1946007

is your tank the 4' 150 gal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewskillz (Post 18653171)
Any 4' tank, even a 150, is pushing it with 2 or more tangs. Especially if you start talking the big tangs like nasos, vlamingiis, sailfins, and hippos. Those fish all get over 12" long, and in the sailfins case, 12" tall!

I have a 6' long 150 gal, this is why I was thinking I would be able to have these fish. I know that they need lots of swimming room, and that I will be able to provide.

adamstipo 04/16/2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbreefer (Post 18653358)
Guys, sailfins and nasos will not get that big if in a smaller system!!!! that is open ocean max size! I have all of the above in a 200 and all happy and none 12".....

I agree with this statement, I have been keeping all different types of caged animals my whole life, from reptiles to freshwater fish. One thing I have noticed is that you can have a perfectly healthy speciman and they will grow to fit their surroundings. Not to mention my tank is only smaller that the reccomended tank by 30 gallons, not like I am trying to cram a 12" Naso into a 55 gallon tank (which I have seen done :mad2:)

TampaReefer79 04/16/2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

A 150 gallon tank is not as big as you think it is. And no, a blonde naso will not fit in a 150, and neither will a sailfin tang which reaches SIXTEEN INCHES. Sorry you got into the hobby because of the naso...your tank only being 150 gallons makes me suggest against it. If you HAVE to have one, upgrade...to something around 12' long and 4' or 5' wide. And even that's on the small side.

I have a LFS near me that has a vlamingii tang that was brought in by a customer that couldn't house it any longer. The thing was in a 300 gallon tank and is a MONSTER. It's easily 18" long and THICK. I'm telling you, if you've seen a mature naso species tang, you wouldn't put one in a dinky 150.

Also, the reason you don't see mature naso species tangs in our hobby is because they perish in tiny tanks before they can reach that size. And no, sticking a fish that attains 24" as an adult in a itty bitty tank will NOT keep it from growing. :hmm4: Same goes for a large dinner plate sized sailfin tang.

Toddrtrex 04/16/2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbreefer (Post 18653358)

First, that has yet to be proved. And if it does happen, IMO, the fish would be smaller/shorter because of poor water conditions and/or stress, not because of the actually smaller tank. If you have had a "naso" (( not sure what fish you are referring too, since that is the genus )), for any amount of time that isn't over 12 inches there is something seriously wrong.

mess7777 04/17/2011 08:17 AM

The amazing thing here is the difference of opinion. It seems that all the people with several 1000 posts are against having sailfin/naso unless you have like 600 gallons+ .....and EVEN THEN.....etc etc.

Likely the large majority of them know by experience and had tangs in smaller tanks at one point in their fishkeeping experience.

Unfortunately us humans are a nasty bunch, and all seem to need to learn this lessons ourselves. It seems to be the same thing with Ich, water parameters etc. Very few of us(including me) get in the hobby ready to go with all of the right equipment.

Before you know it, the excitement of the new tank(and this can last months) has led you to add too much stuff too fast and now there is a sailfin, naso, hippo etc all in a 90 gallon. Just look around the internet, you will see these guys together all the time.

I know people that have a Naso in their 90 gallon for 12 years, and the thing is like his best friend, eats from his hand, follows him around the room. If fish could smile, it seems this one would.

Think about a dog, in the wild a dog would roam 100s of square kilometers roaming for food, looking for mates etc. However, give that dog some food and some love, it will live in the same 1000 square feet it's whole life and be extremely content.

I am not discounting anyone here, and certainly can't compare dogs to fish in such exacting terms.....but again when someone takes proper care of their fish and system.....well I believe this is just as important if not more so than the tank size.

I would rather see a Naso in a 90 with a great owner, than sitting in someone else's 300 gallon that let's it get dirty, never pays any attention other than throwing some food in here and there.

Flame away, this is my opinion based on my limited experience. Perhaps with time and wisdom I too will change.

Toddrtrex 04/17/2011 08:31 AM

You are welcome to your opinion, nothing wrong with that. On the same token, I am welcome to mine. As someone who has kept a 12+ inch Naso lituratus (( as apposed to a Naso vlamingii, which would even be worse -- "Naso" is the genus )), in a 4 foot tank (( held it for a week while a buddy was moving )) I will always be against them in a smaller, less then 10 feet, tank. They are just plain huge and are swimmers. The wake created by that fish was large and would splash out of the tank.