Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advanced Topics (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   klein butterfly and aiptasia (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706906)

jmann 09/15/2009 06:08 PM

klein butterfly and aiptasia

Well Kleins eat aiptasia?? CB's are hard to keep fed enough after the aiptasia are gone and since Kleins are pretty much reef safe, I was thinking of trying one. Thanks

blumoon reefers 09/15/2009 08:00 PM

Kleins are NOT always reef safe! I had one and had to take him back in less than a week....liked to eat my SPS. Never touched the aiptasia.

cardiffgiant 09/15/2009 09:57 PM

I had to take mine back the next day. He went wild on my zoas and SPS. Not sampling, but flat out working things over. However, there are a couple of folks in my local reef club that are keeping them in reef tanks for aiptasia control without any issues.

ChuckLawson 09/15/2009 10:09 PM

Mine eventually ate aiptasia. Of course, I had to take the montis, chalices and zoas that he was nibbling on out first before he could be bothered to eat the aiptasia...

jmann 09/16/2009 03:21 PM

Thanks guys, its what I thought, not reef safe.

coralmojo 10/25/2009 08:55 AM

Wait--I had 300+ various sized aiptasia in mixed reef...tried for YEARS and tried everything to get rid of them...CB x 2 died, etc...Klein's nipped at corals minorly for one week...never saw it eat aiptasia...but in one week, ALL aiptasia gone...ALL!!! I have had for 4 months...fish all but ignores mixed corals and will eat anything that I feed...aiptasia problem a thing of the past...this butterfly is a model citizen!!

DrMerle

Phoenix19 10/25/2009 09:53 AM

Here is a link to an article on Klein's Butterfly fish, aiptasia, and there near reef safeness:

http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/.../issue_4-4.htm

jennmac415 10/25/2009 10:20 PM

I too, have had a MAJOR aptasia problem going on.. I bought a Klein's about a month ago to hopefully eat the darn things... at first he did not even look at them... AND he did pick at a few sps and other corals...he also eats anything I feed the tank, flake, freeze dried, frozen...AND he is NOT skittish or nor does he let any one bully himmm.....I was getting a little frustrated at the fact he was not touching the aptasia...... BUT this week, lo and behold.... the aptasia are disappearing!!! At first I thought I was imagining it.... but nope they are disappearing one by one....and I must have had over a 100 at one point....

I am hoping that I can keep him after they are all gone. I really like him...I am going to try and keep him well fed and hopefully he will not pick on corals once the aptasia are all gone...he is an interesting little fish.

maharsreef 10/26/2009 05:49 PM

Don't put one in your tank if you value your coral. Find a copperband from Australia. They cost more, but are more hardy than the ones from fiji.

troythegreat 10/30/2009 06:28 AM

i had a serious aptasia problem and i got a four eyed butterfly and he took good care of the problem....

bguile 10/30/2009 07:57 AM

I had a Klien's in my tank before I lost him to an ich outbreak. Never had a problem with feeding him and he never nipped at my corals. I had all softies and LPS though.

I once had a problem with aiptasia and have never found anything better than a Threadfin butterfly to take care of it. He also btw was a model citizen.

MSX-Jeff 10/30/2009 09:35 PM

If you can find them (and afford them) the Muelleri Butterfly is as good or better than the CBB at eating aptasia...and they are MUCH hardier. They are in the same genus as the CBB, and are completely reefsafe....Chelmon muelleri :)

Grassroots 11/02/2009 11:17 AM

I would recommend posting this in the general reef discussion or reef fish area, a lot more forum goers with lots of experience on this subject will see this post and give you valuable insight about your question.

In my experience though I would also recommend a CBB, even though Kleins are not as common, there is a reason why CBBs are more commonly found and used in situations similar to the one you are currently in.

:bum:

Ellie2103 11/02/2009 07:57 PM

So what is good to get reed of aptasias?

Darejohn 11/03/2009 06:50 PM

get some pepper mint shrimp worked magic for me

Darejohn 11/03/2009 06:51 PM

Aiptasia were gone in three days. Havent seen one since

Gary Majchrzak 11/03/2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmann (Post 15707207)
Well Kleins eat aiptasia?? CB's are hard to keep fed enough after the aiptasia are gone and since Kleins are pretty much reef safe, I was thinking of trying one. Thanks

Klein's Butterflyfish will eat Aiptasia.
"Reef safe" is bad generalistic terminology. Research species compatibility and remember: each fish has unique preferences. I got my Klein's to eat the Aiptasia that my CBB wouldn't touch.
I kept both even though the Klein's pesters stuff more than my CBB.
The smorgasboard shot
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27.../August_09.jpg

jmann 11/18/2009 03:48 PM

A copperband requires alot of knowledge to keep alive after the aptasia are gone. The tank and its inhabinets have to be right or he well perish in a few months from starvation.

rfalvey89 11/18/2009 10:13 PM

gary,
nice tank..are those onyx clowns btw?

Harpo1966 11/20/2009 08:23 PM

klein butterfly

I picked up a klein butterfly from a fellow reefer who claimed it ate all of his apastasia but in my tank it would not eat one. One month later I sold it back to the same reefer.

David

KMP 11/20/2009 08:35 PM

Kleins did it for me. Some corals were nipped - but not destroyed. Definately worth it considering the 3 CBBs, 10 Peppermint shrimp and Aptasia X did nothing.

snorvich 11/22/2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSX-Jeff (Post 15945611)
If you can find them (and afford them) the Muelleri Butterfly is as good or better than the CBB at eating aptasia...and they are MUCH hardier. They are in the same genus as the CBB, and are completely reefsafe....Chelmon muelleri :)

I mostly agree except they are not TOTALLY reef safe for all specimens just like the CBB is not always reef safe.

MSX-Jeff 11/22/2009 10:26 PM

:) True. sorry for the "completely" statement...Should have read "almost completely". My CBB likes to pick the eye stalks off of Astrea sp. snails :eek:

wdt2000 11/23/2009 07:39 PM

I have heard that Acreichthys tomentosus will eat aiptasia and Manjano and in most cases leave coral alone.

rockworm 11/23/2009 07:57 PM

I put one in my 180 this past weekend. He has not done anything to the visible stuff. However, I cannot tell what he is getting at within the rock work, so he may be cleaning up the stuff hidden from sight. He probably still needs time to settle in and am hoping that the aiptasia will start disappearing later this week. If not, I have a copperband in another tank that is working his way through the aptasia. I will just move him if the filefish does not do the job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdt2000 (Post 16082035)
I have heard that Acreichthys tomentosus will eat aiptasia and Manjano and in most cases leave coral alone.