Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   New fish- quarantine (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670648)

reefinmike 03/13/2018 09:08 PM

New fish- quarantine

I know most people reading the title will say "of course, always quarantine"... read further please. I'm getting some fish shipped in from a wholesaler in California tomorrow. Many of the fish I ordered are either extremely disease resistant or tank raised and certified disease free. From past experiences quarantining, I feel it may be less stressful skipping the qt process for most fish. I have somewhat been out of the hobby for 5-6 years and I'm getting a revitalized system back up and running. My display is a 90g that has been set up for 4 weeks- basically just moved the contents of my 92 corner into a new tank. well established rock but new sand. Fish are 3 small YT damsels(will be removed here soon), a medium melanarus wrasse and a 4-5" foxface. I'm thinking about adding the bolder, disease resistant fish directly into the display. The sump has a refugium area equal to 20 gallons where I want to put smaller/more timid fish to fatten them up and get them acclimated. I also have a well established 20 gallon quarantine tank with a 20 gallon refugium where I intend to quarantine fish that I know can carry disease. I am considering the following housing options. I would appreciate any feedback. Good idea? bad idea? one of the fish more prone to carry disease?

Display-
4 bar gobies(not bold but they are so skittish I feel this is their best shot)
Yellow coris wrasse
African Midas blenny
Yellow watchman goby
Tailspot blenny
Lubbocks wrasse

Fuge-
2 tank raised(likely very small) platinum clownfish
2 tank raised(likely very small) snowflake clownfish
3 tank raised(likely small) bangaii cardinal fish
Purple firefish

QT-
small naso tang
Talbots damsel
Royal gramma

Thanks for any and all input :thumbsup:

Reefpuck 03/13/2018 10:25 PM

Well any fish can carry a disease (if we're referring to the more common issues - ich/velvet)...so I guess you can take into consideration which fish are more prone to ich for example and make an assessment on the risk. But in all honestly...that's up to you.

OrionN 03/14/2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefinmike (Post 25389083)
......... tank raised and certified disease free..........

They certified the fish is disease free? What happen if it isn't? Say they are sorry in an email?
I don't QT my fish, but I QT my corals, anemones and clams very well before introducing them to my DT. The overriding main purpose of QT is not to introduce disease into your system, so that the animals already there, healthy will not be in danger. The byproduct of this process is adding healthy fish. Unless you set up specific reef system for QT, the QT tank is not optimal for the new fish.

humaguy 03/14/2018 11:47 AM

not qt livestock is the single biggest mistake anyone can make

McPuff 03/15/2018 09:58 AM

Definitely still QT them. I bought some captive bred/raised clownfish and it was super easy to QT them for several months. They are so hardy and will not mind being in a small QT for however long is necessary.

Recently I purchased a captive bred annularis angel and a blueface angel, both from Divers Den. Both were reported to have gone through full QT and those procedures were shared with me. Still, both went through TTM upon arrival to ensure they did not have ich. After that, they each went into a QT tank. It turns out the annularis had flukes and needed to be treated. I made sure to also feed it medicated foods to ensure no gut parasites. The blueface [currently in QT] has lymphocystis and will have to stay in QT until that goes away. I have also treated that fish for flukes and other parasites. I'm going to start feeding the blueface medicated foods as well. Gut parasites are not always easy to detect so it makes sense to do prophylactic treatments as it's not likely to cause ill effects on the fish even if they do not have parasites.

My point is that the fish I purchased were supposedly disease and parasite free... they were not. I can't tell you how glad I am that I now follow a strict QT protocol. Highly recommend doing the same for EVERY new fish.

Smokey Stover 03/15/2018 10:12 AM

I wouldn't, pretty risky, Also I'd never add 20 fish all at once

JTL 04/04/2018 08:27 AM

I don't qt but I do ttm with Prazipro.