Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Tusk feeding? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651588)

redlazer 09/15/2017 05:48 PM

Tusk feeding?

I just got my Tusk in yesterday, and he is swimming around all over the place on his side and upright. How long does it normally take for these fish to start eating?

tkiry1 09/15/2017 07:05 PM

A few days.. Maybe stick a piece of pvc in so he can hide in the there

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sweeper13 09/16/2017 07:18 AM

Hi..I just got one also the other day. Hes in qt right now. I have 2 pieces of pvc so he can hide , which he does, but behind the pipes. Anyway, I tossed a few small pieces of shrimp in the tank and took him about 15 secs to eat them both. If he didn't eat give him a day and try again. Hes just getting used to things. GL

Kremis 09/17/2017 06:59 PM

krill

redlazer 09/22/2017 06:24 PM

Well before today I hadn’t seen him eat anything, but he grabbed a pice of squid and ate it all. I guess it just took some time for him to become comfortable. Maybe this indo tusk will live. He still is hiding most the time but seeing him eat has me feeling good about him. Also today was the first time I seen the blue throat trigger eat. Now if both will stop hiding I will feel even better.

Kremis 09/23/2017 09:37 AM

yeah, mine hid a lot and didnt eat very well for the first few weeks that i had him. mine is an indo too

slay 09/23/2017 06:16 PM

I have an Australian tusk in my predator tank, but I asked to see if it fed in the shop before I spent my $200 on it. So mine ate immediately, but from seeing my friend's experience, if they aren't eating in 2-3 days of acclimation you may have a problem IMO - not an insurmountable problem, I've kept virtually anything that doesn't absolutely break the bank or a 480g tank in my salt career, and *most* difficult species I've found at least possible, if high in demands. Harlequin Tusks are IMO are pretty hearty eaters and should be eating once the initial "I'M IN A NEW TANK OMG" freakout subsides.

Mine loves, loves, loves live food first, (I'm fortunate enough, and I recognize more than most, to be able to afford 'ornamental' shrimp as food), I live in a large city that has live 30-40 per lb shrimp for sale as human food as well, but he'll take frozen shrimp and mixed seafood (cephalopods, mussels, shrimp etc.) as his second preference, with frozen prepared foods a distant third. He's about 8-9" now and finds frozen mysis and the like still "suspect", but readily eats frozen food in the absence of anything better - I suspect he likes to bite into bigger morsels now just as a personal preference.

I have an 18" or so Volitans lionfish (with a couple other large fish that aren't interested in eating the eyes off my sharks) in the same tank that I feed the same diet, and they all love my fresh offerings, or second my 20-30 per lb fresh gulf or Argentinian fresh shrimp, fresh squid (in pieces), or fresh scallop (the smaller kind, bay scallop) or small chunks of halibut. Frankly, I wish my diet was as nice lol.

scooter31707 10/06/2017 11:39 AM

Fresh clams from the supermarket.

Lfunnyfarm 11/13/2017 07:46 PM

My Harlequin tuskfish ate pellets from the start - NLS. And, of course, any meaty fresh seafood. Good appetite!