Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   montipora eating nudibranch (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1998704)

Eric B 125 03/28/2011 08:49 PM

montipora eating nudibranch

if there is a montipora eating nudibranch in the system, will they eventually die off after the system has been monti-less for a time? the reason i ask is that i've been struggling with my monti cap and now my monti digi. the cap has white spots where there used to be flesh. nearly every level of its growth has receding tissue. none of my acro's have any problems. i havent added anything new for a while now. i did have some pH swings from 7.8 to 8.4 over the last two weeks (because my alk was low) which i have resolved, and also some temp swings from 74-79, which i remedied with a new heater. these monti's were fine until i broke my tank down and changed the lights. i feel like all of this could have contributed to the monti problem, but i dont understand why only the montipora's are affected and none of my other corals (sps, lps, softies) clams, inverts, or fish seem worse for the wear.

now, if you guys dont think its a nudibranch thing (i havent seen any, but i'm just trying to cover all bases) would you advise me to break off an un-affected part of this monti cap and try to re-grow it?

Neogenocide 03/28/2011 09:54 PM

A nudibranch won't usually just eat spots out of your coral. You will see them eat their way across a coral, methodically until there is nothing left. That is how they typically consume coral.

needmore-reef 03/28/2011 11:40 PM

have you read the pest sticky in the SPS forum? The nudis should be large enough to see. good luck.

eja99 03/29/2011 01:02 AM

Can you post pictures? ALK swings make my montis very unhappy which would be the lesser of 2 evils.

Eric B 125 03/29/2011 04:19 AM

how do i upload a picture from my computer? or do i have to go through photobucket?

i will check that sticky out in the meantime.

Eric B 125 03/29/2011 12:30 PM

bump

windowlicker916 03/29/2011 01:09 PM

You can share pictures by using the image sharing service imgur.com

Once the picture is uploaded there should be a link on the left you can copy and paste in your post to share the picture in a forum.

This is the easiest reliable way i have found and the imgur.com service is great and free.

Eric B 125 03/29/2011 03:21 PM

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...redownload.jpg

Broncos 03/29/2011 08:35 PM

I thought this was going to be about your monti consuming nudibranchs... Now that would be something!

Sorry, couldn't help myself...It's like the freakshow my cousin went to as a kid-it said "300 lb fire-breathing, man-eating, chicken" with a picture of a huge dragon like chicken eating people. He paid a buck to see a fat dude eating chicken and igniting spit-vodka like Gene Simmons. Funny.

Eric B 125 03/30/2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncos (Post 18567622)
I thought this was going to be about your monti consuming nudibranchs... Now that would be something!

imagine what i could charge for frags!

i've still been having problems with my chemistry here...
pH: 7.8 (a.m.) - 8.4 (p.m.)
ca: 440-460
dkh: 8

ammonia, trite, and trate are all undetectable.

do you think that the problems i'm having with the monti's are secondary to pH swings? i'd really like to hear the suggestions of more experienced aquarist on this. i've been dosing alk over the last two mornings. i'm guessing i ought to get it up to 10, eh?

sirreal63 03/31/2011 07:29 AM

What is your Magnesium reading?

eja99 04/05/2011 03:43 PM

From the picture, I would say that is nudi damage. Can you break off a dead piece and take a closer look or post a close up picture?

fishguy597 04/05/2011 03:59 PM

I'm going through the same thing you are. Last thursday night i found them crawling on my monti. I dipped it in corol rx and waiting to see what happens. Next time I dip I'mgoing to wait until the lights are off for a while. A little trick I found is just have the actinis on and the eggs glow green cant miss them(I just have 100 watts total for actinics). Good luck.