Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Rowa carbon (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413933)

bmk 06/18/2008 05:08 AM

Rowa carbon

Hi
I usually use Seachem Matrix carbon (in a external filter) and change it once a month. I deceided to try Rowa carbon, on reading the instructions it states to use it for only a couple of days and replace, surely it lasts longer than that. has anyone else used it, will it be ok for a month?

Many thanks for any advice.

Barry

Randy Holmes-Farley 06/18/2008 05:59 AM

Despite some recent articles, using activated carbon is still largely guesswork.

Depending on how much you use and what is in the water, it can be depleted fairly fast. Also, exactly which molecules are bound to it also likely changes over time as more and more organics pile up on it.

If you have a reason to be aggressive with carbon (the water is visibly yellow, you are trying to remove a toxin, etc), then you might consider changing it rapidly, and every 2 days seems OK. If it is being used under ordinary maintenance conditions, you can probably look to more like 2-4 weeks. If it appears to not be working as well as you'd like in some way, then swap it out more rapidly, or just use more.

bmk 06/18/2008 06:08 AM

Thanks Randy, I use it as part of my maintenance routine purley to keep the water 'clear', I use 100g in a bag, I also use a 100g bag of Purigen and 100g bag of Rowaphos. At the minute the water is crystal clear. Matrix carbon states that it will last for months but I like to change it every 4 wks, just wanted to make sure the Rowa will last or will it start to leech back into the water.

Barry

Randy Holmes-Farley 06/18/2008 06:19 AM

Well, I'd say the useful reality for reefers is in between the 2 days Row recommends and the months that Seachem recommends. :D

Good luck. :)

RF Ricardo 10/10/2018 08:44 AM

I AM a Quantum Physicist focused on developing new forms of carbon that maintain proper levels of pH, Nitrates, and Phosphates in naturally-shaped pieces of 100% organic carbon that is not washed in phosphoric acid like other Activated Carbon products can be. I called it AquaChar.

I AM so happy to hear about your experiences with normal Activated Carbon. This helps me to develop a product that fits in with your usual routines. Thank you all so much for the input! - RF Ricardo, Quantum Physicist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fourstars 10/10/2018 11:11 AM

Would it be wiser to use it for a few days and then take it off line so it does not increase your phosphates and become just a biological filter?

RF Ricardo 10/10/2018 11:14 AM

Depends on if the carbon you are currently using was washed with phosphoric acid as many of the lower priced carbons made in China and packaged here are. Don’t know if they’ll put that info on their labels... ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk