Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   New Saddleback Butterflyfish - Chaetodon Ephippium Mommy (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165740)

tylersarah 05/03/2012 02:28 PM

New Saddleback Butterflyfish - Chaetodon Ephippium Mommy

Today was a great day for me, I finally got the call from my lfs stating that the Saddleback would be delivered today at 2pm and ready for pick up. He's a MAC fish, two inches or so and I set up an appropriate 20 gallon hypo-salinity quarantine for him. So far so good.

I will try feeding live black worms tomorrow morning and I have PraziPro on hand. My questions for the pros, should I dose the PraziPro now as a precaution?

What other "baby foods" should I try other than the blackworms?

Anything else?

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...25513313_n.jpg

snorvich 05/03/2012 02:48 PM

Meaty preparations of various kinds.

Dr Colliebreath 05/03/2012 03:10 PM

With any luck, you won't need the blackworms. Mine was looking for food in the acclimation bucket.

Try mysis (I would start with Hikari mysis as the fish is so small, then move to PE mysis), Rods, chopped shrimp and scallop, plus flakes and NLS pellets.

tylersarah 05/03/2012 06:20 PM

Thanks I will try all of those things. He's so little, I'm probably going to have to target feed once he's moved into the community tank.

Any opinions on whether to dose PraziPro at this point or wait until any sign of infection?

SDguy 05/03/2012 07:48 PM

Since prazi can sometimes suppress appetite, I'd wait a little bit, until he's eating something regularly. Unless you see definite/severe signs of flukes. otherwise, it can wait a bit...

Dr Colliebreath 05/04/2012 08:40 AM

I agree on the PraziPro. Absent signs of disease, I try to get the fish eating before dosing meds.

tylersarah 05/04/2012 10:59 AM

Thank you all. He is chasing the live black worms, but I don't believe he has eaten any. I also tried a frozen blend of mysis, squid & clam that he isn't interested in whatsoever. I'm going to pick up some the NLS sinking pellets later today and give that a shot.

I will hold off on the PraziPro.

SDguy 05/04/2012 12:06 PM

My butterflies noticeably prefer Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 pellets to NLS.

Dr Colliebreath 05/04/2012 12:26 PM

Get a scallop and a shrimp (both raw) from the grocery store, chop up a small piece, and feed. The fresh seafood may interest your fish more than frozen fare. If those don't work, try a piece of fresh, chopped clam from the grocery store.

tylersarah 05/05/2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDguy (Post 20214852)
My butterflies noticeably prefer Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 pellets to NLS.

This morning, for the first time he was confident swimming ALL around the tank, I threw in a few of the Formula 2 pellets, he noticed them, but didn't attempt to eat. I've only had the fish, unofficially named "Little Bugger" for 2 days and I don't believe it is uncommon for qt fish to not to eat immediately.

Additionally, I will see what the seafood section of our lgs (local grocery store:fun4:) has to offer.

I will try to take some nicer photos later today.

SDguy 05/05/2012 07:27 AM

I wouldn't worry about it not taking pellets just yet. That may take some time. Definitely try some finely minced seafood like scallop (bay or diver)... mine love it.

snorvich 05/05/2012 09:45 AM

Also, Reef Caviar (capelin fish roe) is attractive to most fish.

tylersarah 05/05/2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snorvich (Post 20217960)
Also, Reef Caviar (capelin fish roe) is attractive to most fish.

I've been in this hobby over a decade and that's new to me, thanks for the tip.

tylersarah 05/06/2012 09:40 AM

I'm very happy to report that his appetite has returned. He ate everything! - Diver's scallop, Formula 2, Limpits & blackworms. I'm going to stop feeding the blackworms since I don't want him to favor them because they're gross!

:celeb2:

Kahuna Tuna 05/06/2012 06:21 PM

Nice fish, I love this species, my fav BF for sure.

SDguy 05/06/2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersarah (Post 20221259)
I'm very happy to report that his appetite has returned. He ate everything! - Diver's scallop, Formula 2, Limpits & blackworms.

Great news!

Dr Colliebreath 05/07/2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersarah (Post 20221259)
I'm very happy to report that his appetite has returned. He ate everything! - Diver's scallop, Formula 2, Limpits & blackworms. I'm going to stop feeding the blackworms since I don't want him to favor them because they're gross!

:celeb2:

You mean you don't want to see blackworms squirming in your refrigerator every time you open the door and feel them squirm when you take a pinch to feed? :lol2:

Many of us with cbbs and ylns have to endure blackworms every day. You are wise to keep your fish off them if possible.

tylersarah 05/07/2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Colliebreath (Post 20225293)
You mean you don't want to see blackworms squirming in your refrigerator every time you open the door and feel them squirm when you take a pinch to feed? :lol2:

Many of us with cbbs and ylns have to endure blackworms every day. You are wise to keep your fish off them if possible.

Indeed, every time I went for a snack for myself I lost my appetite. The worst was when one would get loose in the sink and wiggle around. The fish is already eating what I feed the display tank, it's a blend a local reefer makes called Limpets (mysis, squid, reef plankton, cyclops, and krill combo) and I plan to continue this along with diver scallops which he also finds a delicacy.

tylersarah 05/07/2012 01:27 PM

Pictures

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...85747403_n.jpg
Our basement setup, bottom right qt tank.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...66207026_n.jpg
The tank came from the neighbor who had it sitting empty in his garage.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...60038629_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...92837225_n.jpg

Still bashful, that is unless there is scallop in the tank.

tylersarah 05/07/2012 04:36 PM

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...46916177_n.jpg

Our basement setup

tylersarah 05/10/2012 03:15 PM

I've had him 7 days now, my question is whether to dose PraziPro at this time? He's eating well and no sign of disease or distress. Is it better to dose PraziPro with the possibility of suppressed appetite or not dose and hope his health continues? Logically, it seems if his appetite diminishes a water change should reverse the PraziPro effects, no?

Dr Colliebreath 05/10/2012 07:09 PM

Your fish has been eating for 4 days now, so it is fine to start dosing the PraziPro. I would run the dose for 5 days, do the recommended water change, and then do another 5 day dose. This assumes that the fish is really eating and not just nibbling and spitting most back out.

I medicate all of my fish with PraziPro and Cupramine even if there are no signs of disease. I just decided to risk losing fish in quarantine with meds to protect my DT.

tylersarah 06/02/2012 06:49 AM

Unfortunately the Saddleback "Little Bugger" died this morning of an uncertain cause.

He had been in QT 31 days today. My process went as follows:

20 gallon tank
78.5 degrees
1.016 hypo-salinity
Piece of live rock
Heater & small powerhead
Two seeded sponges from the main tank
Air bubbles
Couple PVC pipes
Chemistry good - no ammonia

Dosed PraziPro twice for 5 day durations. Fed the fish two times a day, he was an active eater and preferred fresh scallop, clam and a locally made frozen blend with Hikari mysis, scallop, cyclopeeze (etc.).

Three days ago was the first salinity increasing water change from 1.016-1.017. Yesterday another of these water changes which increased the salinity to 1.018. I fed him at 5 last evening and he was his normal self and this morning he had passed. Tyler had to retrieve the fish from the tank because I wasn't having it and he said the fish had a red stripe from his mouth all the way to his tail, almost like an internal hemmorhage and his body was darkened.

Honestly, I don't have a hypothesis why the fish died, but I do know that although unfortunate sometimes these things happen, especially with more difficult species. Will I try again? Absolutely, maybe with a fish larger than two inches, but not any time soon.

SDguy 06/02/2012 08:46 AM

So sorry to hear that! Happens to the best of us somtimes. I agree, maybe shoot for 3-4" specimens next time.

Dr Colliebreath 06/02/2012 09:00 AM

Sorry to hear about it. Unfortunately, it is part of the hobby. It sounds like you did everything right.

The fish probably was damaged in capture or transport and doomed well before you bought it. I think fish that die within 30-60 days of acquisition in most cases weren't going to make it anyway (assuming they were handled properly by the hobbyist, which is clearly the case with you).

The ones closer to 3" do seem more resilient.

I wouldn't necessarily let this stop you from taking the plunge again sooner rather than later. You want the fish, saddlebacks typically are hardy for butterflyfish, and hopefully you will get a good one.

Do you know where your lfs gets its fish? If from Quality Marine, that is good. If not, you might try an online vendor like the regular Live Aquaria or their Diver's Den operation for more sensitive fish like butterflyfish. Their fish come from QM and seem to do very well.