Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Very frustrated with my RODI. Do I need 1 micron filters? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2659664)

PirateLove 11/27/2017 08:42 PM

Very frustrated with my RODI. Do I need 1 micron filters?

I was gifted a new rodi unit but it came with 5 micron filters. I did not think it would matter and added a di canister to it. I bought fresh new di resin yesterday and it was pumping out 0 tds. Today it will not go below 4 tds! I just spent the money and time replacing the membrane, filters, and di, and it still will not go below 4. My water coming in is at 188.

Any advice? :hmm2:

outy 11/27/2017 09:04 PM

The 5 micron is fine, 1 micron changes nothing.

The actual ro membrane determines what is fed to the DI.

You may want to clear the system for a minute before allowing water into the DI stage. TDS creep is real

Also it helps us and you if you know what the TDS is leaving membrane before DI

It also helps to have DI cartridge up and down not laying on its side.

Opus123 11/27/2017 11:04 PM

Outy is correct. The sediment and carbon filters do nothing to change the tds of the water. Their only purpose is to protect the RO membrane from large particles and chemicals. That said, I only use 1 micron or .5 micron prefilters, but only to better protect the RO membrane. Knowing your tds after the ro but before the di will help determine if there is an issue with the RO membrane. If it is working correctly your 188 water should be between 3 and 9 if your RO membrane is working to spec. Even at a tds of 9, your di should produce around 500 gallons of 0 tds water before it starts going up.

mcgyvr 11/28/2017 06:31 AM

Well water with high CO2?

But yes.. lots of questions for you and some pictures of your setup just to make sure nothing is hooked up wrong,etc..
You sure you are getting the water after the DI stage?
Is it a cheap horizontal DI stage?

PirateLove 11/29/2017 11:11 AM

Thank you so much for everyones help. After looking at my system, my di was running Before my membrane. I switched the inline tds meter to read after the membrane and after the di stage. Right now it states that I have 12 tds after the membrane and 4 tds after the di stage.

mcgyvr 11/29/2017 11:30 AM

DI stage plumbed before RO? yep thats certainly the eason for your problems..

Now your DI resin is just shot from that abuse..
Replace it and all should be good again..

ballhog 11/29/2017 12:19 PM

Do you know the PSI at the membrane? Id also check the TDS before it goes into the DI resin.

outy 11/29/2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballhog (Post 25288256)
Id also check the TDS before it goes into the DI resin.

he did its 12

Buckeye Hydro 01/13/2018 07:16 AM

The size of the pores in the sediment filter is important - you'll want the pore size in the carbon block to be about the same or larger than the pore size on the sediment filter - otherwise your carbon block will trap sediment.

Russ

tkeracer619 01/15/2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Hydro (Post 25329916)
The size of the pores in the sediment filter is important - you'll want the pore size in the carbon block to be about the same or larger than the pore size on the sediment filter - otherwise your carbon block will trap sediment.

Russ

Yup, it will reduce life of carbon blocks if the prefilters aren't rated the same or better as the carbon.

nozleman 01/15/2018 01:54 PM

Your PSI incoming needs to be about 60 PSI min! That will help lower your TDS.

HBtank 01/15/2018 03:07 PM

Yeah if you use up all your resin like that you reach breakthrough and worse, the filter will start actually releasing TDS back into the water. Replace and then try again!

Buckeye Hydro 01/15/2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nozleman (Post 25332102)
Your PSI incoming needs to be about 60 PSI min! That will help lower your TDS.

Filmtec residential membranes will perform reasonably down to about 40 psi. They are factory tested at 50 psi.
Higher pressure, within limits, is better.

Russ