Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Semi Aggressive Fish Plan (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2662995)

Larry the Lobst 12/31/2017 04:57 PM

Semi Aggressive Fish Plan

Hello do you think that the percula clowns (the 2 that I already had wich are aggressive eaters) Will be able to deal with more aggressive tank mates like the long nose hawk fish, coral bueaty angelfish, and a few cromis. And do you think having more cromis means that there will be less aggression focused on one fish like an Asian arowana community and do you think that having other semi-aggressive fish will keep the cromis more distracted.

Ps. Do you have any suggestions of any other fish that will do good in a semi aggressive tank. And are canary fang blennys good or not (oh and I will have corals and more invertebrates in the future)(and if I get a tang wich one should I get I have a 30 Gallon)

Sk8r 12/31/2017 05:23 PM

Clowns are pushy by nature, and if centered in a nem can take care of themselves. Chromis function as 'dither fish', rushing madly about (only 1 per 50 gallon tank) to reassure the others there are no sharks. Alas, there is no tang that will work in a 30. You need toward a hundred gallons for the smallest: they're too big and too active. The canary blenny is good---in general, the blennies, gobies, dartfish (firefish et al) and small jawfish will do well for you, including maybe the royal gramma. Avoid angels if you want coral.

Larry the Lobst 12/31/2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8r (Post 25318066)
Clowns are pushy by nature, and if centered in a nem can take care of themselves. Chromis function as 'dither fish', rushing madly about (only 1 per 50 gallon tank) to reassure the others there are no sharks. Alas, there is no tang that will work in a 30. You need toward a hundred gallons for the smallest: they're too big and too active. The canary blenny is good---in general, the blennies, gobies, dartfish (firefish et al) and small jawfish will do well for you, including maybe the royal gramma. Avoid angels if you want coral.

thank you what about the long nose hawkfish and since you suggest no cromis what is another active fish and how come I have seen 8 cromis in a 40 cube last with no deaths for over a year? And do you have in mind any semi agresive fish for my tank

Easy E 12/31/2017 07:17 PM

30 gal is too small for a Coral Beauty. Hawk Fish seem to get along well with clowns.

Larry the Lobst 12/31/2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy E (Post 25318145)
30 gal is too small for a Coral Beauty. Hawk Fish seem to get along well with clowns.

thank you any other angel fish that will fit and what is your opinion on the chromis. a friend told me i could get four
:fish1:
and do you think any type of sand sifter would do good if so can you list them
thanks

top shelf 12/31/2017 07:51 PM

http://m.liveaquaria.com

That is a great website to search for future inhabitants. They have a lot of info on individual fish from diet to tank requirements. They list compatibility as well.

I don't believe there are any dwarf angels suited for a 30g. As for chromis you will be hard pressed to find anyone on here that will say it's ok to keep 4 in a 30g, personally wouldn't try even one in a 30g. Not all but a lot of sand sifters tend to eat all the beneficial living critters out of the sand bed then slowly starve to death. That website I linked will have all that as well.

Easy E 12/31/2017 10:12 PM

The only angel that might work is a dwarf. I have no experience with them, so I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending one.

I have tried to keep a small group of Chromis in a 30 and failed miserably twice. All but one died within a couple weeks both times. The one that was left wound up hiding in the corner for the rest of its life, seemingly afraid of its own shadow.

I can't help much with sand sifters either. I've had really good luck with Nassarius snails, but they just bury themselves and don't do much sifting. They would help keep the top layer aerated, but that's about it. If you do get some, get the big ones. Sometimes they're referred to as Super Tongan. Petco sells them for less than $2 apiece.

Larry the Lobst 12/31/2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by top shelf (Post 25318183)

That is a great website to search for future inhabitants. They have a lot of info on individual fish from diet to tank requirements. They list compatibility as well.

I don't believe there are any dwarf angels suited for a 30g. As for chromis you will be hard pressed to find anyone on here that will say it's ok to keep 4 in a 30g, personally wouldn't try even one in a 30g. Not all but a lot of sand sifters tend to eat all the beneficial living critters out of the sand bed then slowly starve to death. That website I linked will have all that as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy E (Post 25318314)
The only angel that might work is a dwarf. I have no experience with them, so I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending one.

I have tried to keep a small group of Chromis in a 30 and failed miserably twice. All but one died within a couple weeks both times. The one that was left wound up hiding in the corner for the rest of its life, seemingly afraid of its own shadow.

I can't help much with sand sifters either. I've had really good luck with Nassarius snails, but they just bury themselves and don't do much sifting. They would help keep the top layer aerated, but that's about it. If you do get some, get the big ones. Sometimes they're referred to as Super Tongan. Petco sells them for less than $2 apiece.

Thanks for the info and happy new year
I will stay away from chromis and posibly think of anthias or a wrasse maby even a dotty back

Larry the Lobst 01/01/2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by top shelf (Post 25318183)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy E (Post 25318314)

Thank you for the information. I will not get Chromis or a dwarf angel. I will also stay away from sand sifters. I will reabuild my fish list.

ReeferNoob4ever 01/01/2018 08:52 AM

I have a blackface bicolor chromis in my 20 gallon. I also have an engineer goby (12") that really moves the sand around. But I might as well be blacklisted from this site so I can't make any recommendations. I can tell you that the chromis is a real jerk and that limits me. Even I would not do an angel or tang in any thing less than 55 gallons.

I come from cichlid tanks and I have used 2 tactics for agression. Lots and lots of hiding places and/or a ton of fish to disperse the agression. I would think the same theories apply here.

A good sand sifter is a fighting conch. I have one that I hardly ever see above ground but it took about 6 weeks before it went under the substrate.

Larry the Lobst 01/01/2018 11:08 AM

1 Percula Clownfish 2

fire fish 2 or 1

Longnose hawkfish

Neon blue goby 2 or 1

splendid dottyback

Percula Clownfish 2

fire fish 2 or 1

Longnose hawkfish

Neon blue goby 2 or 1

2 Percula clownfish 2

Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse or other wrasse or 2

Longnose hawkfish

Splendid dottyback

3 Percula clownfish 2

Longnose hawkfish

Splendid dottyback

Toby puffer or saddle puffer

4 Percula clownfish 2

Longnose hawkfish

Neon blue goby 2 or 1

Splendid dottyback

5 Percula clownfish 2

Longnose hawkfish

firefish 2 or 1

Swales Swissguard Basslet

Neon blue goby

Which of the list do you think is best in a 30 long.

Easy E 01/01/2018 06:39 PM

I would advise against putting more than one of any species in the same tank unless they are a mated pair, and mated pairs are generally expensive and hard to find. Even the gobies might fight with each other.

Personally, I would go with a Clown. Hawk, Basslet, and Dottyback combo, if you want semi-aggressive. That would be about your limit for a 30. Gobies, Firefish, and Fairy Wrasse are peaceful and might get bullied or out-competed for food. I've had good luck with the Splendid Dottyback. It doesn't seem as aggressive as some of the other Dottybacks, which can be real bullies.

Larry the Lobst 01/01/2018 08:00 PM

Thanks for the info

swiftvision 01/02/2018 05:43 PM

Only one firefish! Period!

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry the lobst (Post 25318682)
1 percula clownfish 2

fire fish 2 or 1

longnose hawkfish

neon blue goby 2 or 1

splendid dottyback

percula clownfish 2

fire fish 2 or 1

longnose hawkfish

neon blue goby 2 or 1

2 percula clownfish 2

orange-back fairy wrasse or other wrasse or 2

longnose hawkfish

splendid dottyback

3 percula clownfish 2

longnose hawkfish

splendid dottyback

toby puffer or saddle puffer

4 percula clownfish 2

longnose hawkfish

neon blue goby 2 or 1

splendid dottyback

5 percula clownfish 2

longnose hawkfish

firefish 2 or 1

swales swissguard basslet

neon blue goby

which of the list do you think is best in a 30 long.

swiftvision 01/02/2018 05:46 PM

I have all these guys living in a 100 gallon cube in peace:

Purple Tang
(3)Orange Anthias
Purple Headed Firefish
(2)Perc Clowns
Tomato Clown
Bi-Color Blenny
Royal Gramma
Mated Pair of Yellow Watchman Gobies
Long Nosed Hawkfish
Sand Shifting Goby