Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Return Pump 5x2x2 (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2667172)

SpicyBurrito 02/09/2018 06:29 AM

Return Pump 5x2x2

Chasing opinions about return pumps for my 5x2x2.

I was thinking of running a Vectra L1 as the return pump also tee-ing off to feed the chiller (which is plumbed outside) / reactors.

Although from the reading that I have done the L1 doesn't sound like it is a very reliable pump - does anyone have any experience with them lately, i know they were pulled from sale last year, were they rereleased with the issues resolved or are they still having problems.

Alternatively I was thinking maybe running a Vectra M1 as a return pump and have a Nyos 5.0 to feed the chiller and reactors.

how would you go or are there better options out there. I was hoping to run a Vectra as i already have 2 Radions an MP40QD and a Reeflink.

Thanks

bif24701 02/09/2018 06:31 AM

Octo Varios. Good pumps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironwood 02/09/2018 06:43 AM

I have been using a vectra L1 for a year now with no problems.

outy 02/09/2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpicyBurrito (Post 25357028)

I was thinking of running a Vectra L1 as the return pump

They have had many failures in this forum.

Better off with a DCP line of Jebao which have a better track record at this time then the overpriced Vectra lines

SpicyBurrito 02/09/2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outy (Post 25357364)
They have had many failures in this forum.

Better off with a DCP line of Jebao which have a better track record at this time then the overpriced Vectra lines

I've seen that, I was hoping that their disappearance last year from sale was ecotech fixing the issues. But still hesitant on the L1 due to its past.

on the other side though I haven't heard or read anything bad against the M1's.

SpicyBurrito 02/09/2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bif24701 (Post 25357029)
Octo Varios. Good pumps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will look into the octopus. I have a HOB reef octopus skimmer on my 3foot tank which has been great. But their stuff is difficult to find in Australia.

Zalick 02/09/2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpicyBurrito (Post 25357609)
I've seen that, I was hoping that their disappearance last year from sale was ecotech fixing the issues. But still hesitant on the L1 due to its past.

EVERYTHING posted is anecdotal evidence. One cannot conclude that pump A is more reliable than pump B based upon postings in this forum. So take it all with a grain of salt.

To add to the anecdotal evidence: I've been running an M1 to power my UV and skimmer, an L1 for a return and the VarioS with skimmer attachment for my skimmer. Been running them for a few years. All 3 have worked flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with performance and noise level. Coralvue and Ecotech both have top notch customer service as well.

outy 02/09/2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpicyBurrito (Post 25357609)

That's true, others here have commented on the M's not having the bad reputation

outy 02/09/2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpicyBurrito (Post 25357610)
Thanks, I will look into the octopus. .

were getting many failures there to.

Just so you know, all of these cheap DC pumps come from the same place, and have all about the same reliability.

The DCP line of Jebao sells the most and has the least complaints, and the best price. Reason I'm using 2.

Main advantage is electricity savings and adjustability over ac

mako61 02/10/2018 10:05 AM

I have a Jebao its great. Running for 8 months cleaned once. I got it overnighted as a backup when the AC-DC supply to my varios-8 died. They both use the same china mass made supplies. I wanted a backup for my return, I just wish I have gotten 2 Jabaos to start with and saved hundreds. Note I have a high budget for reef gear (2500 on lights) I just dont see any real difference for the price. My varios is still in the closet.

RCS82 02/10/2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outy (Post 25357764)
were getting many failures there to.

Just so you know, all of these cheap DC pumps come from the same place, and have all about the same reliability.

The DCP line of Jebao sells the most and has the least complaints, and the best price. Reason I'm using 2.

Main advantage is electricity savings and adjustability over ac

Can you provide some numbers? sales figures? number of complaints/failures? etc.
Or is this just based on a few posts in some "jebao vs the rest" forums?

Sorry to derail

flooddc 02/10/2018 01:15 PM

Mag drive IMO are the most reliable. Ran my mag drives almost 20 years. from freshwater and converted to reef.
The down side are they are a bit loud, high in energy, but help my heaters as they do heat up the water.

Vinny Kreyling 02/11/2018 09:04 AM

Fluval SP series