Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Reef Chemistry Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   API Saltwater Master Test Kit color cards (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401175)

wdytat 05/29/2008 03:55 PM

API Saltwater Master Test Kit color cards

First off. Hi! I've been lurking for a few months and finally dove in and purchased a BioCube 29. So I'm on my way.

As a long time freshwater tank keeper, I have an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. However, I'm trying to avoid buying the saltwater kit since it is exactly the same thing. It just has different color cards. Could someone scan the cards for the saltwater kit and send them my way (after confirming the colors are a close match)? Or any ideas on how to obtain these cards?

I found a site with some scans (here), but the colors for the freshwater kit are off, so I assume the saltwater cards are off too.

Thanks!

jansenwrasse 05/29/2008 04:10 PM

Not all of the test kits are the same for freshwater and saltwater. I would look into which API test kits are the same.

Also check expiration dates on the kits.

unbreakable 05/29/2008 05:16 PM

ah thats awesome. ive been cycling my new tank based on what i remembered about the chars (i lost them). i just remembered that for ammonia it was 0 when yellow, nitrite was 0 when light blue-- the link helps a lot now

wdytat 05/29/2008 07:07 PM

It's the API Freshwater Master Kit - checks PH, High Range PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia. It's the same as the API Saltwater Master Kit, but the saltwater kit has different color cards and doesn't contain the PH check (just the High Range PH). The chemical make up is exactly the same as noted by the spec sheets on the API site.

My freshwater kit is brand new. That's the reason I don't want to go buy a saltwater kit. And I'm tired of winging it.

I just need the saltwater color cards. The link I provided has some scans of them, but I know for a fact that the colors are a bit off for the freshwater kit, so I assume the same for the saltwater.

I'm hoping someone can upload a more accurate scan, or if someone has an extra set, maybe pass them my way (willing to pay a bit). I just hate to buy another kit just to have the cards.

xJake 05/29/2008 07:18 PM

I think it might just be your monitor. I compared my API SW and FW cards to the scans you linked and they match up perfectly. Try printing them out or viewing them on a different computer.

bertoni 05/29/2008 10:15 PM

You might need to calibrate the monitor to view the images properly, which can be difficult. If you know someone with a digital darkroom, he or she might be able to explain or help.

wdytat 06/03/2008 10:16 AM

Definitely not the monitor. You may be able to get it close via calibration, but still a bit off. And with these test kits, a bit off means a lot. In any event, API was kind enough to send me a set of cards. Very cool of them!