Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southern California Reefers (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   swimming pool pump for a salt water tank??? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985452)

Bergovoy 12/02/2006 07:53 AM

swimming pool pump for a salt water tank???

Can I use a swimmning pool pump for a fish tank?? Is there some differences or concerns that I should be aware of?

The specs are:

1-1/4" Electric water pump with strainer designed to pump, clean and filtering. Featuring high performance 1HP motor with stainless steel shaft and thermal overload protection for maintenance-free operations that give 3960Gallons Per Hour. Ideal for swimming pools, spa, fountain liquids, and other industrial applications.

Photo is in in the gallery

r

redox 12/02/2006 08:04 AM

I used them for years but the seals arent made for salt water and.... salt water will destroy them so... their life is not as long. I didnt have to pay for mine so it didnt matter . :D Hayward super pumps are what I used

cthetoy 12/02/2006 11:24 AM

1 HP motor will increase your electric bill by $$$. It will pay to get a more energy efficient pump ie. Sequence Dart.

cayars 12/02/2006 11:43 AM

How do you think a 1 HP motor will increase the electric bill by $$$? Do you think all us pool owners with even bigger motors add hundreds of dollars to our electric bill during the summer months?

But I'd agree that size motor is way overkill for all but the largest home aquariums! Imagine the overflow needed to handle that.

Bergovoy 12/02/2006 12:28 PM

I am confused. It makes sense that the bigger HP would be more expensive, but cayars, is that a point that pool owners do not pay 'dramatically' higher rates?

The tank I have, which is sitting on my livign room floor right now, is 180 g, (72x24x24)

I have not sized the sump / refugium yet as I think I have to size the pump along with the sump at the same time. (yes / no ??)

I need to get the tank off the ground. I need to get a stand, or build it. And the decision needs to happen within the next hour!!!

Bill

marcrothschild 12/02/2006 12:58 PM

A pool does add significant cost to the electric bill. The difference is that you can set the pool filter to run only 4 hrs a day...you make up the difference in the addition of chlorine. An aquarium pump is 24-7

marcrothschild 12/02/2006 01:02 PM

BTW, I just noticed you are in monrovia...call me if you need some advice/help. I will pm you my number.

laverda 12/02/2006 01:28 PM

I agree your eletric bill will be sky high with a 1 HP, especailly as you will not be able to use most of the flow.
I have a one 1/15 HP Spa pump with salt water seals on my 240. It is rated at 3500GPH at 4 feet. My over flow can not handle that much flow, so I have to restrict the pump by about 1/4-1/3 I would guess.

redox 12/03/2006 07:27 AM

I was running 2 -1hp pumps in the gh I calculated their wattage to be 1000 ea,way too much money to run. They rocked the vats and fish had to be healthy to survive the current. I stepped down to gen-X pcx40s and cut my wattage by more than half and still have the flow I need. The pool pumps do push alot of water but... the heat given off by those suckers aint worth the flow. Trust me when I tell you thats too much pump!!! I have two sitting around here in the scrap pile,pay shipping and you can have one to try. these puppys ran on 220 but you can wire them for 110 . if the flow is too high you can just dump back to the sump or use the flow to connect seperate systems. Bergovy if you havent bought one yet and still want to try it my offer still stands ,shipping is all it will cost you to find out:D and laverda by restrickting the flow of that pump you are making it pull more power, I would dump it back to the sump before I restrcted the flow:D