Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   In wall fish tank build, want to bounce ideas off you guys please (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651300)

ozorowsky 09/13/2017 07:45 AM

In wall fish tank build, want to bounce ideas off you guys please

Hello all,

I have a wall between my living/dining room. Dining room side has tile, living room side has carpet. I'm thinking of cutting away the wall on the dining room side, building a stand there, building some port hole windows in the living room like they have on cruise ships. On the Dining room side will be bow front aquarium I'll build a top access and bottom access from dining room side.

I imagine I'll want to somehow water proof the sheet rock on living room side or replace it with something.

On the dining room side, I'll build it out with 2x4's and put some kind of water proof stain on it.

Any advice/ideas how I may be able to accomplish what I'm after?

SGT_York 09/13/2017 08:36 AM

Is the wall supporting structure? Do you intend to cut out the existing 2x4's or just circles in the drywall.

How much of a budget do you have. Water/mold resistant sheet rock is a step above, a good primer with gloss finish will work, if you have mold issues it's an air flow problem not so much a drywall issue.

There are many options to choose from but you'll be limited if the wall is supporting weight and what your budget is. I really like the full view from both sides but cleaning is terrible if you don't have access on both sides. I like the porthole concept but not sure how you would clean them and not sure how a 4" gap between the hole and the tank will turn out.

MrsReefK 09/13/2017 08:46 AM

The thing I think of is the struggle to keep the back wall glass clean enough to view via the port holes. Im sure you've already thought of that though. I have full access to the back of our tank, and had every intention of keeping it clean, that hasn't happened yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozorowsky 09/13/2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsReefK (Post 25212286)
The thing I think of is the struggle to keep the back wall glass clean enough to view via the port holes. Im sure you've already thought of that though. I have full access to the back of our tank, and had every intention of keeping it clean, that hasn't happened yet!

Oh darn! Great point! :(You're meaning about the mag float. Hmmm. Need to think that over.

MrsReefK 09/13/2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozorowsky (Post 25212363)
Oh darn! Great point! :(You're meaning about the mag float. Hmmm. Need to think that over.

Yes, you likely won't be able to have a mag float if the tanks against a wall, which will mean manual cleanings from within the tank, something you'll definitely want to think through.

karimwassef 09/13/2017 01:43 PM

Why not just make it a through and through tank with all glass visible on both sides?

I would do that if I could... I have a one sided built in now.

My future tank is a peninsula thought!!!

ozorowsky 09/13/2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karimwassef (Post 25212589)
Why not just make it a through and through tank with all glass visible on both sides?

I would do that if I could... I have a one sided built in now.

My future tank is a peninsula thought!!!

Only issue with that is my couch is on the wall in the living room. I do suppose I could build a stand to hold it higher than the couch so you could see it all the way through. Then won't have the drywall issues etc.

ozorowsky 09/13/2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT_York (Post 25212266)
Is the wall supporting structure? Do you intend to cut out the existing 2x4's or just circles in the drywall.

How much of a budget do you have. Water/mold resistant sheet rock is a step above, a good primer with gloss finish will work, if you have mold issues it's an air flow problem not so much a drywall issue.

There are many options to choose from but you'll be limited if the wall is supporting weight and what your budget is. I really like the full view from both sides but cleaning is terrible if you don't have access on both sides. I like the porthole concept but not sure how you would clean them and not sure how a 4" gap between the hole and the tank will turn out.

The wall is not a supporting wall.

Budget is always a concern, so the less the better, but I'd rather do it right over time than poorly over night.

What I would do is cut the 2x4's out completely, and have the tank butted up against the wall with the port holes. But the glass cleaning process is an issue.

SGT_York 09/13/2017 03:42 PM

You won't be upset with a see through tank.
Old but here is mine for some thoughts. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2473592

Just raise it above your couch.

ozorowsky 09/13/2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT_York (Post 25212680)
Old but here is mine for some thoughts. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2473592

That looks great!

ozorowsky 09/13/2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT_York (Post 25212680)

Whats that stuff on the bottom (I assume to trap water spilled)

SGT_York 09/14/2017 07:15 AM

It is a thick plastic wrap (moisture barrier, or shower wrap) they are sold near the tile section and are used to protect the walls in tile showers, a bit expensive but will ensure any leaks stay off your floor.

salty joe 09/15/2017 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozorowsky (Post 25212363)

Just have someone hold the exterior magnet at the water surface and push the floating scrubber pad towards it. Or tape the exterior magnet to the glass.