Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Continuum Phos-corex (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2676348)

Tastee 05/17/2018 03:07 AM

Continuum Phos-corex

Hi all, my LFS has suggested I use the above product to reduce Phosphates in my tank.

Has anyone else used this and have any feedback about it?

Thanks, Brad.

mcgyvr 05/17/2018 04:30 AM

What is your current phosphate level?
Why are you having a phosphate problem?
Typically its only 2 reasons... Overfeeding or rock is leaching it..

I've personally never used that product.. I've never used any phosphate reducing product for that matter..

Tastee 05/17/2018 04:44 AM

I think a large part of my issue is overfeeding and I am trying to correct that. Currently dealing with a GHA issue. The tank is currently 7 months old. Let me know if you want details of inhabitants, parameters etc or photos. The purpose of this post was just to get some feedback on the product in question.

Phosphates are currently reading above 0.24 ppm based on a Red Sea test. For the last 4 months it has been between 0.08 and 0.20. The RODI I produce, as well as the LFS RO water and our tap water tests around 0.08 ppm by the same kit.

mcgyvr 05/17/2018 06:49 AM

Its likely just a liquid lanthanum chloride solution and should be effective at binding and reducing phosphate..
Unlike GFO/Rowaphos,etc.. (granular products) the Phos-corex requires mechanical filtration/skimming to remove the bound phosphate/solution which for some may not be as easy as the granular products which just absorb it and can be thrown out.. THe granular product though is typically most effective when run in a reactor vs just hanging in a media bag..
If you have a mechanical filter (filter sock even) and skimmer the corex should work just fine for you.

I'm a little concerned about your test kit accuracy as I wouldn't expect tap water and RO/DI water to show the same but that isn't too uncommon for hobby grade tests at that minor level

Tastee 05/18/2018 01:49 AM

Thanks mcgyvr.

I do run a skimmer so may give the Phos-correx a go at some point.

My test kit is a Red Sea Phosphate Pro, so yes hobby grade only. That may indeed be it's margin of error.

I’ll try to get hold of some distilled water and see what that tests at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mcgyvr 05/18/2018 04:30 AM

Do you have a sump?
I'd also run a filter sock on the drain pipe when you start using that stuff to remove the bound phosphate better..

Tastee 05/18/2018 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgyvr (Post 25439180)
Do you have a sump?
I'd also run a filter sock on the drain pipe when you start using that stuff to remove the bound phosphate better..

Yes I do. My tank is a standard Red Sea Reefer 250. I have Marine Pure balls in the sump inlet into the small pore micron filter bags. My skimmer is in the next section, then into a coarse sponge before the sump return.

Do you think the micron bags will capture anything before the skimmer chamber? Or is the precipitate too small?

mcgyvr 05/18/2018 05:57 AM

Well.. What is the micron rating of the bag?
I think you would need something 10 micron or smaller for the precipitate..
Maybe even better with a 1 micron bag
But your phosphate level really isn't that bad so you likely don't need to be aggressive with it..

I personally wouldn't even use the product and would just work on fixing my overfeeding and let it drop over time..

Tastee 05/18/2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgyvr (Post 25439194)
Well.. What is the micron rating of the bag?
I think you would need something 10 micron or smaller for the precipitate..
Maybe even better with a 1 micron bag
But your phosphate level really isn't that bad so you likely don't need to be aggressive with it..

I personally wouldn't even use the product and would just work on fixing my overfeeding and let it drop over time..

Micron rating not sure. I am just using the bags that came with the tank so will need to research them.

Fixing overfeeding is certainly good advice which I am already on board with. Better now than 4 weeks ago. I am currently running Phosguard as a temporary measure in a media bag (not a reactor) so that will hopefully be enough to get me to a stable point.

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated.

mcgyvr 05/18/2018 08:03 AM

Yeah if you are already using Phosguard I don't really see a need to switch unless thats not showing a reduction in phosphates (which it should)..

Dr RBG 05/19/2018 05:33 PM

red sea socks are likely 150 to 225 micron socks I think you can also get 100 micron