Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Fish Breeding Forum (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Question about buying clownfish with intent to pair (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2652197)

Ramracer32 09/20/2017 11:52 PM

Question about buying clownfish with intent to pair

I was just recently at my local reef store and they have an aquarium with about 12 designer clownfish all having the same pattern so guessing all the same batch. One of the clownfish is about 3 times the size of the other clowns so assuming that is the female. I'm wondering if I pick that one and a very small one would They have a high chance of pairing? Or should I fork out the extra money and buy a proven pair online?

Goss 09/20/2017 11:57 PM

I profess not to know how women’s hearts are wooed and won. To me they have always been matters of riddle and admiration. Some seem to have but one vulnerable point, or door of access; while others have a thousand avenues, and may be captured in a thousand different ways. It is a great triumph of skill to gain the former, but a still greater proof of generalship to maintain possession of the latter, for man must battle for his fortress at every door and window. He who wins a thousand common hearts is therefore entitled to some renown; but he who keeps undisputed sway over the heart of a coquette is indeed a hero. -Sleepy Hollow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramracer32 09/21/2017 01:12 AM

Goes, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Billy Madison

Breadman03 09/21/2017 02:24 PM

I haven't really looked into clown pairing in a while, but I'm under the impression that percula and occelaris are pretty easy to pair up, tomatoes are iffy, and maroons are downright ornery. Assuming the designers are an occy or perc, you'll probably just have to keep them well fed and will eventually see results. I'm not sure on how long the timeframe is for sexual maturity.

You should grab a copy of "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson, which is also available electronically on Kindle for a ton of breeding info, though there have been some advances since publication.

Ramracer32 09/21/2017 05:09 PM

Awesome thank you breadman I'll go check that book out

ichthyogeek 09/21/2017 08:12 PM

Agreed. Most ocellaris and percs do the whole "one big fish, one small fish" thing, and work out pretty well.You should be able to get a pair out of them. If you're not 100% positive, consider buying the one large fish, then the 2 smaller fish (with the intent to sell one of the smaller ones) if it's cheaper than buying a pair online (which are probably for sale due to them no longer being of breeding age). This way, you can assuredly get a pair (either the large with one of the smalls, or both of the smalls).

Sexual maturity for clownfish is dependable upon heat and nutrition (80 F and lots of high quality frozen/live food = quicker sexual maturity), but it still takes quite a while post-hatch, I think it's like 6-9 months approximately? Lots of shrimp and a little bit of squid (no more than 15% of the diet for squid), is very, very nice for the fish.

Also, consider Wittenrich's "Complete Illustrated Guide to Breeding saltwater fish", it's not as thorough as Wilkerson I think (haven't read Wilkerson's yet), but it's pretty good as a beginner's guide to breeding.

Fish doctor 09/24/2017 03:04 PM

Just stay away from the Mai tai clowns. I have had two in my tank for two years now. They will not share the same side of the tank, much less spawn.

westohooligan 09/29/2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramracer32 (Post 25221092)
Awesome thank you breadman I'll go check that book out

Not for nothin', but Wilkerson's book was written in 1997. Take that for what it's worth, but the simple answer to your original question, yes. Take the larger of the bunch paired with a smaller fish. She might thump on the little one for a bit, but he'll submit.

D-Nak 10/10/2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramracer32 (Post 25220399)
I was just recently at my local reef store and they have an aquarium with about 12 designer clownfish all having the same pattern so guessing all the same batch. One of the clownfish is about 3 times the size of the other clowns so assuming that is the female. I'm wondering if I pick that one and a very small one would They have a high chance of pairing? Or should I fork out the extra money and buy a proven pair online?

Just keep in mind that most LFS don't hold their fish for very long, so just because one fish is a lot larger than the others doesn't mean it's already a female.

I wouldn't fork out extra money for a proven pair -- the terms "proven" and "pair" go a long way for some people.

jayball 10/11/2017 09:19 AM

If you are purchasing to try breeding them than do not buy them if you think they are from the same batch. There is enough inbreeding going on with clowns as it is, please do not add to it. (This PSA brought to you from my snowflake occ. with an underbite)

To help answer your pairing question I would get two juvenile's (ie. not the big one) and let them figure out who is going to be the female.

Ramracer32 10/11/2017 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thank you all for the great info. I just ended up buying a pair already bonded