Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nano Reefs (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Season Change, sun now making crazy algae (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657141)

Smoke Inator 11/04/2017 01:35 PM

Season Change, sun now making crazy algae

Been a long time since I posted the BC32 has been fine for more than a year now.

As the season changed, the sun directly hits the tank for a few hours and it has exploded with hair algae.

Time for a deep clean !

Hope all is well in nano world

Ron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hipertec 11/04/2017 09:45 PM

I'm having the same issue with hair algae. How are you going to get rid of yours? I tried pulling as much out but after 1-2wks they grow back.

JVan82 11/05/2017 08:39 AM

I've been having the same issue, but my tank gets 0 sunlight. I stopped purigen when I started my fuge, and seems the algae started then, so started running purigen again, thankfully that hasn't had a negative affect on my chaeto. Ordered a few new snails after 1 was viciously murdered.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Smoke Inator 11/05/2017 09:07 AM

Pulled as much as i could, then used a small kitchen scrub brush to remove a bit more....I did a 50% water change, reduced lighting by 50% as well.

so far im still in cleaning mode, we will see if it returns.
keep up the good fight

TexChuck 11/05/2017 05:37 PM

Welcome back!! Having the same issue in my 32 -- with the added bonus of bubble algae. I'm doing 10g water changes every few days and scraping as much off as I can when I clean.

I'm running purigen, but considering pulling and trying the fuge again - my po4 is .08 while nitrates are undetectable.

I'll try a kitchen scrub - I've maxed what I can do with a toothbrush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke Inator 11/06/2017 06:00 AM

after a huge cleaning over the weekend, i decided to get some critters...picked up a lawnmower blenny and a small mexican turbo snail...the snail will grow but i figure i got a year or two before he gets traded in...the snail jumped right in and can notice a difference where he has been

hipertec 11/07/2017 10:00 AM

Does purigen make the problem worse I'd you have a very same chaeto algae chamber in an 13.5G EVO tank?

Smoke Inator 11/07/2017 10:54 AM

never run purigen in this tank, my reactor is carbon gfo mix but hardly run it either. best help so far has been the reduction of light while the lawnmower and snail work thru it

TexChuck 11/07/2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipertec (Post 25266278)
Does purigen make the problem worse I'd you have a very same chaeto algae chamber in an 13.5G EVO tank?

I'm running purigen in my biocube 32 and think it's contributed to a nuisance algae outbreak. I hypothesize that the purigen 'covered up' my overfeeding for a while by stripping no3 but allowing po4 to build, which in turn caused an explosion in nuisance algae. I'm doing aggressive WC's and will be replacing the purigen bags with macro.