Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Photosynthetic Corals (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=555)
-   -   Tube Anemone addiction (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987174)

Hens4Fish 03/06/2011 03:50 PM

Tube Anemone addiction

Here are some new addictions to my tank. None of the fish bother them, and the color is amazing. Even more incredible under actinics, or LEDs, but cant capture that on my camera....Enjoy, let me know what you think. And if anyone has seen any other color combos...
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...h/IMG_0316.jpg

Nam Nguyen 03/06/2011 03:56 PM

mannnn you have really nice colection. wonderfull picture buddy.

Hens4Fish 03/06/2011 03:59 PM

Thanks, I am going to try to turn the blue one and get the green center on him too. I like how the clown had to get in the shot too.:) Thanks for the reply

uhuru 03/06/2011 06:51 PM

How deep of a sand bed are you using? My understanding is they require a true DSB (6"). Most tanks I've seen them in have just a regular SB. I'm wondering about the longevity in this situation.

Hens4Fish 03/06/2011 07:06 PM

I know some people who have had them for years with a regular sand bed. They like a good sand bed, but mine is only 4", they end up going sideways in the sand bed for almost 12 inches, so even the 6" would not be enough for them to go directly down. I have only had the pink ones for a few days, but the blue one for a while. As you can see, it burrowed into the sand most of the way.

what situation are you referring too? The ones you saw in regular sand beds, how deep were they, and how long did they survive? You sound like hey died, that is why I ask.

nanshaw2001 03/06/2011 07:32 PM

Wow...great colors!

Nam Nguyen 03/06/2011 08:56 PM

friend of my had tube anemone for long time (about 2 years now)his sand bed about same as your maybe less it is around 3-4in

slapshot 03/06/2011 09:05 PM

They do add some amazing color. I have a pink one but it hides under a rock. It's small (1 inch, yea I forgot to read the size when i ordered it) so I'm hoping as it grows it will come out more. I had one for a long time and then traded it for a gorg. Mine went sideways also.

Hens4Fish 03/12/2011 07:44 AM

Can you move him from under the rock? Mine stayed right where I put them, and are out 99% of the day. They are really a great addition for a FOWLR tank. Gives color, movement, and don't get eaten.

SHADYreefer 03/12/2011 11:35 AM

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...10&ddid=114486
Heres a neat one!

Hens4Fish 03/12/2011 12:19 PM

I have been looking at that one for a day now..

Munkie 03/13/2011 08:12 AM

Where did you get yours at?

Hens4Fish 03/18/2011 12:47 PM

Live aquaria mostly, some LFS too.

hayes112 03/18/2011 03:50 PM

I have 2 and I love them. One is pink/orange in color like the one in the liveaquaria link and the other is a light purlpe with metalic looking pinkish spots on the sweepers. The only draw back is that the sweepers extend a very long way at night so they take up alot of realistate on the sand bed.

Hens4Fish 03/18/2011 04:21 PM

How long have you had them? I love mine too, so fun to watch, and cool. Never bother anything. Mine are kind of small right now, how big are yours?

hayes112 03/18/2011 06:40 PM

I have had the light purple one for about a 1.5yrs and pinkish orange for around 6mo. The older one is around 3in around and the sweepers stretch out 10+ inches at night . The smaller one right at about 2in and its sweeper stretch out around 6-8 inches at night. I really like that little purple you have it is going to look even more awsome when it gets big. I have seen jet black ones, all neon green ones, very cream colored orange, and diffrent shades of purple.

suta4242 03/18/2011 10:23 PM

Trying to fast forward a couple of years, so a quick question if the OP doesn't mind.:beer:

When you guys say they grow sideways, are you able to influence the direction in which they grow? I'm just imagining that over a few years they could encroach on corals growing elsewhere in the tank....

Hens4Fish 03/19/2011 06:01 AM

Hi Suta,
The tube nem has a wormlike backside. This tunnels through the sand, and is used to retract when its scared. The tube head in the picture will not move anywhere. Its foot is anchored in the sand, but the tube head can get bigger, so it could encroach on corals that way, but I am careful not to put anything close to them.(hence the reason for the tube nem garden.) I can influence the tubes direction by how its placed in the sand, I angled them toward the glass so I could see the inside of the heads.

v4victory 03/19/2011 05:59 PM

Those are awesome, love the colors.

mariusz621 03/22/2011 05:01 AM

I used to keep large quantities of those.

They really enjoyed deep sand bed. When you provide it you can see them standing upright which looks great

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1631161

mopiko 03/24/2011 12:04 AM

I have a small light blue centered green Tube anemone for almost a year.
But it doesnt actually grow in size..since the 1st day i got it.

I do regular feedings of small shrimp pieces; fish pellets, cycolopeez..

Has ur tube anemone grow in size? what do you feed them..

They are bad stingers for my fishes..when i turn tank lights off...my clownfish wonders around blindly sometimes n got stung by it ha

hayes112 03/24/2011 10:11 AM

Mopiko:
Try giving larger quantities of food. Since they are not photosythetic all there nutrition comes from feeding and it does not sound like your tube anemone is taking in much. Mine really love squid ( the shredded kind for fish) as well as scallop and shrimp. It will grow pretty steady when its happy. My larger one has kind slowed its growth now but it might just be becuase its getting to its max size.

Hens4Fish 03/24/2011 11:37 AM

Mine are actually starting to grow upward, seems like they are angling on their own. My sand bed is only 4", but they seem happy. As far as feeding, I feed my tank a bit heavier, and the tubes catch a lot of the food, the fish get the rest. I never focus feed them, but I dont want them to grow faster, I like the sizes they are.

None of my fish have a problem with the tubes, but they are in a 75, what size tank do you have? All my fish seem to know they will sting and stay away from them.

hayes112 03/24/2011 02:01 PM

I was never really trying to make mine grow fast but I do think they need to be spot fed 2-3 times a week with a decent amount of food since they are only getting scrapes from my reg feeding. I noticed the one I have in medium flow angled itself to go with the flow and the one in a pretty low flow area stand up more. I actually built up the sand bed where I put mine so they are both in around 6in of sand. I have a 150xh...my fish steer very clear of my tubes :)

xxtriggermanxx 03/24/2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhuru (Post 18447965)
How deep of a sand bed are you using? My understanding is they require a true DSB (6"). Most tanks I've seen them in have just a regular SB. I'm wondering about the longevity in this situation.

here's a picture of mine. have only about 1-2 inches of sand . I've had it for about 7-8 years . still going strong :)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...ictures263.jpg