Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   scopa group (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2669015)

dirk_brijs 02/26/2018 03:35 AM

scopa group

As in nature those fush serm to school how many fish would be needed in a large aquarium to mimic this behavior...would 10 fish be big enough for them to get the social feel...?

mike61289 02/26/2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk_brijs (Post 25374567)
As in nature those fush serm to school how many fish would be needed in a large aquarium to mimic this behavior...would 10 fish be big enough for them to get the social feel...?

Tangs don't school in captivity. Our tanks are simply too small for them to display that type of behaviour. In a home aquarium, they would do their own individual things (picking at rocks, hide, etc...) and fight with each other.

You would need thousands of gallons to get that type of display, even from a small group.

ca1ore 02/26/2018 02:59 PM

Tangs don't even school in nature ..... at least not the technical definition of schooling. Even fish that do school in nature won't in your tank - it's both a size thing and a predator thing.

mike61289 02/26/2018 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca1ore (Post 25375067)
Tangs don't even school in nature ..... at least not the technical definition of schooling. Even fish that do school in nature won't in your tank - it's both a size thing and a predator thing.

Some species form schools in nature in order to overtake another animal's territory. It's easier to steal algae in big numbers.

Every time I go diving in the Caribbean, I only ever see Caribbean Blue Tangs in huge groups. You'll rarely see them alone.

As i said though, I agree that it's impossible to replicate this in captivity.

ca1ore 02/26/2018 03:54 PM

Groups is not the same as schooling .... thus my allusion to the technical definition. If the OP really means schooling, then he's out of luck; if groups/shoals, then he's probably still out of luck unless his tank is huuuuuuge.

Tripod1404 02/26/2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca1ore (Post 25375134)
Groups is not the same as schooling .... thus my allusion to the technical definition. If the OP really means schooling, then he's out of luck; if groups/shoals, then he's probably still out of luck unless his tank is huuuuuuge.

I agree. They congregate into groups for the ease of feeding. Mainly to overwhelm resident damsel fish with sheer number and eat their algae. Some sharks also group together during feeding, but we dont consider them shooling either.

Even fish that truly school in nature generally stop doing it in captivity unless they are kept in massive tanks with predators. For example freshwater neon and cardinal tetras school in nature. But in an aquarium schooling will only last for couple of months. After that, they will separate into multiple small groups or hang out on their own.