Reef Central Online Community

Reef Central Online Community (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Majestic Angelfish coloration? (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657543)

falconut 11/08/2017 06:35 AM

Majestic Angelfish coloration?

I've been looking for a Majestic Angel for a little while, but none of my local stores had any in a while. I've been considering getting one online. However, yesterday I stopped by one of my LFS and they recently got in 3 of them around the 3"-4" range.

They're in a floating basket together and I can only see them from the top. But from the top, their coloration appears dullish (especially around the top/back of head), not the typical vibrant coloration. Now the slightly larger one is being a little aggressive, so I'm sure that's not helping. But even he is dullish. All the Majestics I've seen in the past have had great coloration.

I've never had one before, so is this normal for them when they first come in & they should color up? I know some fish do this, but I've gotten others that never colored up. Is this a possible indicator that something is wrong? Or is this possibly just the coloration they will be?

alton 11/08/2017 07:24 AM

One of the reasons I do not have one is as they get older, the head coloring gets worse. NY Aquatic gets in juveniles and I have thought of getting one feeding it LRS, hoping it would maintain its great young adult colors?

jmm 11/08/2017 08:37 AM

I have one now that is absolutely beautiful. I've had it for 5 years.

However, I've seen some, both large and small, in the past that were not brilliantly colored. I think it is the individual fish. Some are prettier than others. I've observed this for 40 years or so.

falconut 11/08/2017 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Most of them I've seen look pretty similar in coloration. But I must admit I wasn't looking too close, since I wasn't looking for one at back then.

I took a short video and here's a screen shot from it. Here they are, the area where the blue meets the yellow on top was the pale spot I was referring to. Maybe this is normal, since this may be the only time I've seen them from the top.

Dmorty217 11/08/2017 10:29 AM

Seems normal to me

falconut 11/08/2017 12:10 PM

If they look healthy and I plan on treating it with prazipro and cupramine in QT, would there be anything except eating that I should be concerned about. Basically if I get one online, I won't even see what I'm getting until it arrives?

OrionN 11/08/2017 01:20 PM

In the past my Majestic looks great and stay looking good. IMO, health have a lot todo with how colorful most fish are, especially angels.

Sonicblast12 11/08/2017 01:45 PM

I’ve noticed the blue on the head gets lighter when the fish is stressed (water changes, etc) and darkens when things return to normal. I’m sure they’re fairly stressed together in that basket.

falconut 11/08/2017 01:54 PM

I'm sure they were, the slightly larger one was chasing (as much as he could in that small space) the other 2.

OrionN 11/08/2017 02:18 PM

I love Majestic Angels, but like Regal Angels a little more these days.

falconut 11/08/2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrionN (Post 25267487)
I love Majestic Angels, but like Regal Angels a little more these days.

I love Regals, but a little too delicate for me to try. I'd hate to get one only for it to die.

o2manyfish 11/09/2017 01:37 AM

I've kept large adult Navarchus in my Fish Only tanks. To me they are one of the most beautiful fish. I've always had them arrive looking good and for the most part remain beautiful.

Earlier this year I was fortunate to get a 2.5" Navarchus with juvenile stripes. The fish is magnificent! It's almost 3.5" now and still has Juvie stripes. I'm keeping it in my frag tank, cause I still won't trust a Navachus in my display tank.

Mine is growing up in pure sunlight and feeding off pods in the frag tank.

Dave B

falconut 11/09/2017 11:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I went back yesterday to check them out again. They had been there for a few weeks and were currently being medicated. They had separated them, so only the larger one remained in the basket. After talking with the owner, they'll be finished in a few weeks, then I'll pick up this guy and he's go to my QT. He was very alert, which I understand is a good sign.

alton 11/09/2017 01:16 PM

You are very fortunate to have a LFS that keeps a fish for weeks, our's bring them in and want to unload the same day.

harley3ky 11/09/2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicblast12 (Post 25267453)
I’ve noticed the blue on the head gets lighter when the fish is stressed (water changes, etc) and darkens when things return to normal. I’m sure they’re fairly stressed together in that basket.

This is exactly what I was about to say. The one I have now looked much like the ones in your pic when I first got it and from time to time when stressed but now the colors are great.

falconut 11/09/2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alton (Post 25268538)
You are very fortunate to have a LFS that keeps a fish for weeks, our's bring them in and want to unload the same day.

Yeah, I have two LFS, within 12 minutes from me. The one I'm getting them from QTs all fish until he feels they are good and healthy. Unfortunately, the majority of his fish are out of my price range, he likes the rarer fish (Gem Tangs, Bandit Angels, Black Tangs, Goldflake Angels are regulars here).

The other store is like you mentioned, they come in and are available that day, no holding. But he has more of my priced fish. At least his stock is usually pretty healthy.

falconut 11/09/2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley3ky (Post 25268635)
This is exactly what I was about to say. The one I have now looked much like the ones in your pic when I first got it and from time to time when stressed but now the colors are great.

This is good to know that it's probably just the stress. Still looks great even if the top of the head says semi dull.