View Single Post
Unread 11/03/2008, 02:53 PM   #276
GlassReef
Got Reef

Since the tank was placed on the stand last Saturday, I've been itching to get it up and running - so I spent yesterday plumbing the overflows and return. I have made it my goal to keep the number of pipes under and around the tank to an absolute minimum. That's easier said than done of course, but we'll see. I had decided a while back to use the "silent and failsafe" overflow system promulgated by Herbie and BeanAnimal. Seems to be a very elegant solution to the overflow problem. For more info, here is Bean's thread: Silent and Failsafe Overflow System

The overflow system consists of three 1 1/2" standpipes: 1. main overfow - works as a siphon, no air access 2. secondary overflow pipe. Same configuration as the first, but has air access 3. backup pipe. This comes into play only when the first two are not able to handle the load.

My display tank return is handled by a Reeflo Dart Gold (approx. 3200 GPH). The flow from the Dart is split from a 1 ½” line to two 1” lines before it enters the tank. I intend to use this flow to minimize detritus at sand level.

So, enough theory, here are the pics

This is the overflow system. From left to right: the backup pipe - the main overflow (siphon) - and the secondary overflow pipe:

Before I started installing the standpipes I built a narrow shelf that holds the pipes steady as they reach the bottom of the tank. I didn't want to take a chance that an inopportune elbow would cause a flood:

There is a valve installed on the main overflow pipe. It's used to fine tune how the flow will be divided between the main and secondary pipes. For more info on exactly how this works, take a look at the thread I referenced earlier:

Here's a pic of both the overflow (right 3 pipes) and the return (left 2 pipes):

You can see that the return is split into 2 lines.

No matter how much you try to push the envelope, it remains stationary.