View Single Post
Unread 11/17/2009, 04:27 AM   #38
tatuvaaj
Pro-Protozoa

Hi Claude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Schuhmacher View Post
the words the posting was made by my distributor and it seemed he is missunderstanding some chemical informations.
And that is the problem, not so much your products

I know many of you already know what the "Balling" method means but here's the definition (as far as I know):

1. 71.5 g CaCl2 + 5 ml Trace element mix 1 & 2 to 1 liter of water
2. 84 g NaHCO3 + 5 ml Trace element mix 3
3. NaCl-free salt mix

Trace element mix 1:
243.45 g SrCl2.6H20
356 mg BaCl2.2H20
Dissolve to water for final volume of 1 liter

Trace element mix 2:
4 g FeSO4.7H20
324 mg CrCl2.6H2O
185 mg MnSO4.H2O
98 mg CuSO4.5H2O
89 mg NiSO4.6H2O
88 mg ZnSO4.6H2O
4 mg CoCl2.6H2O

Trave element mix 3:
13.3 g NaF
2.5 g KI

The composition for the element mixes were determined by Mr. Balling after a careful study of wild and aquarium grown coral skeletons.

Most people I know do not bother with the original trace element mixes because they either use other trace element products or they just think that trace elements is not something they want to add. Much has changed (most of all salt mixes and amount of feeding) since 1996

I guess one problem is that the "Balling method" now means many things. For example, magnesium was not part of the original method and on the other hand, many people have dropped the NaCl-free mix from their dosing because of much more frequent water changes in modern reef aquariums.

ps. Claude, I never thought the incident with the one batch of your CaCl2 mix was something to worry about (although a lot of people got angry). Mistakes happen and IMO it's naive to assume otherwise

Current Tank Info: 240 gal + 50 gal sump,SDSB,LR,ATB Medium, 2x250W HQI + actinic,Balling
tatuvaaj is offline   Reply With Quote