View Single Post
Unread 07/21/2017, 08:48 AM   #112
ReefNewGuy
Registered Member

I signed up to tell you guys my experience.

My TLF PhosBan 550 reactor worked great using 5730 LEDs (5 metres), grew chaeto like crazy, literally a handful every second day.

Unfortunately after 2 months it began to behave more like an algae scrubber - the sides and the red mesh/central tube got coated in algae that was difficult to scrape off.

3 months later the strip LED stopped working. After inspection the positive wire had completely burnt off and fell off - water had made its way onto it from a hairline vertical 2 inch crack that had developed at the bottom of the reactor from heat stress. I am guessing the reactor did not like the heat cycles during winter. The reactor was bought brand new for the sole purpose of chaeto reactor. I might glue a piece of acrylic over the crack to salvage the reactor for some other purposes in future.

Warning guys - DONT DO IT. I could have burnt the house down *knock on wood*. It's a real shame as I really liked the idea of a chaeto reactor. Maybe using minimal LEDs and very few wattage would have made a difference. I am not keen on trying this again as it is an accident waiting to happen. That's why those ARID reactors cost hundreds of dollars with the fancy heatsink.

ReefNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote