View Single Post
Unread 04/30/2012, 08:59 AM   #1054
katchupoy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWF View Post
Hi Dennis, Ceasar,

Thank you so much for your inputs.

I actually managed to get hands on some heatsinks... 1.5 inch x .5 Inch with 5 fins.
That gives me 1.5 x 2.5 inches of surface. These are 4 feet in length.

My plan is to have 6 channels with 12 led's on each channel. Each channel is 48 inches in lenght.

The tank is 48 inches long with 2 inches euro braces on the ends and a 2 inch brace in the center. The 2 braces at the end will reduce the lighting area by 4 inches length wise. That will give me 44 inches of open space on the surface of the tank lenght wise.

With the above details following are my questiosn :
1) Is it advisable to cut the heatsinks to 44 inches since the reduction lenght will reduce the total weight.
2) What would be the ideal spacing between two LEDS.
3) Is it possible to mix blue and white leds.. have six blue and six white on a single channel driven by a single driver... the LED's I am going to use are XP-G R5 LEDs CW and XP-E RB.

i will be back with more questions....

Thanks again for all your help !

1) don't cut the heatsink, weight you will loose is negligible. You need as much surface as you can to diffuse heat.
2) you have a better heatsink than mine so you can go closer. Guessing 2.5 inches? Just compute the remaining open area of your tank minus the eurobrace? Like dennis said.
3) check the spec sheet, check how high amp you can run them, and choose the lower one to be safe. Ie. Blue run on 800 while white can run 1000 then run your set at 800.

cesar

katchupoy is offline   Reply With Quote