View Single Post
Unread 05/17/2018, 05:48 AM   #55
RobZilla04
Registered Member

UPDATE:

On 5/8 I performed a 20g (20-25%) WC along with cleaning of the wave makers, skimmer, return pump (ran in Vinegar/RODI for 40 min), and vacuumed the sump. Also I completely cut off the organic carbon dosing on this date.

This brings my system back to pretty much just the basics. Mechanical filtration of blue/white filter floss & poly pad. Skimmer and UV Sterilizer. No additions other than dosing of Alk & Cal to supplement for consumption.

Feeding of fish is still twice a day (frozen Mysis, brine, & pellets). Occasionally (no more than once a week) feeding of the coral (reef roids and/or Rod's coral blend). No more Reef energy A/B.

Thus far its been 8 or 9 days since then and typically here is where I would see the downturn of the corals. Usually the WC of 10-15g would perk them up, followed by the downward slide after about a week. LPS usually begin to droop and close up. SPS still not showing any real signs of PE, yet the tissue loss has halted on some new test frags that were put in a week or ten days before this big maintenance day on 5/8.

Completely different thus far. I'm being cautious in my assessment and sticking with no carbon dosing while monitoring nutrient levels.

Alk - 8.7
Nitrates - 15-20
Phos - .16
Cal - 400+
Mg - ? (Red Sea kit sucks)

Just sharing to keep this thread rolling for anyone following or searching in the future.