View Single Post
Unread 03/09/2009, 12:36 PM   #6
DFS
RC Sponsor

kdblove_99 wrote:
Quote:
I would love to see pics when you get a chance. I assume that the generic pic at Liveaquaria is one from Fiji?(that is the one i like the least) and the one in your guys video is either African or Maldives? Do you have a favorite of the 3?
The image displayed currently on the LiveAquaria.com web site for the Exquisite Wrasse is in fact a representative image of a Fijian fish, and the one shot in the video is from Kenya- an African variant.

kdblove_99 wrote:
Quote:
Kevin which Exquisite do you prefer? Also do any come from Vanuatu?
I actually am fascinated by this diversity among one described species, and like all of them regardless of their region of collection. Cirrhilabrus spp. wrasse is hands down my favorite genus of marine fishes. When looking at a variety of Terminal Phase Males from all of the different regions, each of them is unique, and all are incredibly beautiful in my opinion.

Bret61081 wrote:
Quote:
Most fish from Vanuatu have better color b/c they are not over collected, yet! They only have been collecting tehre for about 5 years or so that I know of. A lot of the fish that do come out of there are larger and more colourful yes but lately I havent seen as many nice males coming in, most are submales, atleast in the past year or so. I have a nice male from Bali. I like them since they are not as common as the African ones which have more colour.

Unfortunately I think there is a major lack of understanding among retailers, consumer, and the general public, which can negatively affect the marine fish industry. Statements such as the one you have posted above are of concern to me, and when people outside of the trade read such comments that are oftentimes made from a lack of understanding, such comments adds fuel to the fire for groups wishing to impose serious restrictions or even outright ban tropical reef fish collection and export.

The Republic of Vanuatu is located in the South Pacific Ocean on the edge of the Coral Sea, with Solomon Islands to the north, Fiji to the East, and New Caledonia to the South. The Archipelago covers an area well over 4000 square miles, with hundreds of miles of coral reefs. Some of the major islands that have dense coral reefs include: the Torres Islands group, the Banks Islands group, Santo, Ambae, Maewo, Pentecost, Malekula, Ambrym, Epi, Shepards Islands group, Efate- which is home to the Capitol City of Port Vila, and is where all of the exports of marine fishes leave, then south to Erromango, Tanna, Aniwa, Futuna, and finally Aneityum.

The reefs of Vanuatu are monitored by an organization called Reef Check, and reef fishes harvested for the aquarium trade from this region are far from being overexploited with the vast expanse of abundant and healthy reef habitat. Furthermore, there are only two small exporters out of this region of the world, employing a handful of collectors. As long as the reefs themselves stay healthy and there is plenty of habitat for reef fishes the harvest of marine fish from this region, when done sustainably, will have zero impact on this abundant species of fish.

The biggest factors that do affect availability of species, or even the size and regional color variants include:
Weather Conditions- This is the time of year in the South Pacific when the seas are rough due to cyclones and other poor weather conditions.
Time of Year- Many fish are more prevalent during certain times of year, or are in greater numbers of mature individuals which are larger and more colorful.
Collection Areas- The exact area where these fish are collected can determine their desirability.
Fishing- We need to remember just because you can dive doesn’t necessarily mean that you can obtain the exact fish in the exact numbers you are looking for.
Gasoline Prices- Increased fuel costs can determine how far the boats can go and to what collection areas.

I hope this helps explain some possible reasons why Vanuatu Exquisite Wrasse vary in size and coloration.

Cheers!

Current Tank Info: Too many to list