View Single Post
Unread 04/23/2015, 12:31 PM   #105
paullondon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
That's not entirely true about 420 nm violets. The chlorophyll a, which is the dominant variety in most corals, has a primary absorption peak at 417 nanometers. Pretty dang close to 420nm. Chlorophyll b has a primary absorption peak at 436 nanometers. About halfway from 420 nm violet and 450 nm royal blue. Violet is very beneficial
You are absolutely right. Chlorophyll A is 400nm-450nm and 650nm-700nm.
Chlorophyll B is 450nm-500nm and 600nm-650nm. There is no doubt about this. I was just mentioning that later studies are focused on the higher limit of the wave length as getting a better growth response. A very debatable subject and like everything new I would just keep an eye on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swope2bc View Post
Did you look at the dimensions of the tank he will have? I believe it is only 24" wide, would the 300w be too wide at 32"? One 165w would fit but have to be run a little higher power. I may be totally off here, just an observation:
I see... it's the 24x20x19... In that case even if one 165W would be enough I would go for two of them just so he can make a square, right? He doesn't need a bar, he needs a sort of square light on top of that tank... and the 165W is 15.7"x8.3"x2.36" so two of them will nicely form a 15.7"x16.6"x2.36" which I believe is perfect.... now it depends how he wants the rockwork and all...
About the higher power... the guy sent me the difference and I have no clue where I put the e-mail, if you drive those LED at maximum power you burn them quickly and your PAR values are not going to make a huge lot of a difference, my 300W unit runs t 240W, so I will not sweat over those 60W when what I get is WAY over the light amount you need...
Hope this helps....

paullondon is offline   Reply With Quote