View Single Post
Unread 11/03/2015, 07:00 PM   #2164
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheron View Post
Hi Ivy, I'm experiencing the same thing! I seemed to have beaten back the Dinos to almost nothing right now, then all of the sudden Cyano outbreak. Maybe its a result of the overfeeding I did from the "dirty" method?

Anyway, don't want to go too far off topic here but curious what you think about your Cyano and what you're doing.
In my tank I see a very predictable response:

-0 nitrates 0 phosphates= really happy dinos, nothing else at all grows
-low nitrates no phosphates=tiny cyano (it's cheating somehow) and dinos
-low nitrates low phosphates=dinos are dying back noticably, cyano bloom continues but starting to see diatoms and green slime on the glass. Chaeto starts growing again.
-nitrates over 1, phosphate .03=only green algae and diatoms on glass, dinos not visible in tank altho persist under microscope samples off filter

I'm not doing anything about the cyano, for me it's a good sign, that I need to keep increasing my N/P. Well, I do siphon it out.

I'd wait on the water change if I were you! Cyano is ugly but really it's a good sign. You want the green algae to be firmly enough established that they're getting all the nutrients in the tank.

Oh and I totally agree about the benefits of sandbed microfauna. Nobody ships to Canada. If you hear of a source pm me and I'll make them rich.

ivy
PS here's a picture. Looks bad eh? The white arrow is pointing to GREEN stuff on the glass, which only shows up when nutrients go up enough for the cyano bloom. That coral's on the sandbed because I thought it was a Duncan. I now think it may be an elegance..
[IMG][/IMG]

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15

Last edited by Quiet_Ivy; 11/03/2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added picture
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote