View Single Post
Unread 12/29/2016, 08:39 PM   #192
T-Rex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
Dr. Tim did a paper on this or was "interviewed" about this or something. He recommends Re Fresh for 14 days at every other day. I did this and it went away and never came back.
I contacted him and he recommended the same to me to include waste away afterwards.

That's awesome it worked permanently for you. Reading some of your posts, it appears carbon dosing is what you attributed bacteria growing in your tank. But I'm not completely clear on what your conditions were or if you continue to maintain your tank and environment the same way as you did in the past.

The only thing I really dose is BRS 2 part, and Mag every once in a while. Parameters are spot on. Dosing 2 part and slime doesn't appear to coincide, as I've actually reduced dosing in the last few weeks (due to water change raising/stabilizing CA and ALK parameters) when I had the small outbreak/bloom. Also hundreds of people use this without issues.

That said there is one small issue in the back of my mind - The salt I used for water changes. I've been off and on using HW Marinemix Reefer salt. I used it around the same time I had the first bloom, and then a week before having the most recent bloom. Slight chance this is actually the fuel to the slime monster, but worth mentioning.

At this point I believe its the damp, warm, stagnant air that allows the bacteria to grow. However the fuel source is a mystery at this point. Possibly something in the salt which I will stop using for now, but more likely some type of VOC or spore.

The way I'm kinda looking at this now is the same condition you need to create fire.

Fuel, heat, oxygen.

In this case I believe its fuel could be VOC's/Spores, heat being a warm and humid environment, and of course oxygen.

I donno, I have a degree in Aeronautics, not Bacteriology.

T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote